Are There "dumb" Sasquatches?

hiflier

Hello LarryP,

You are right there. Stupid is as stupid does indeed. Stupidity is relative to the conduct of the whole. Being ignorant of social norms does not make one stupid. When transplanted into different situations as in a move to a different local or culture new folks may appear stupid as they would be gullible to say inside jokes that the "locals" may know or play on newcomers. This goes for different work environments too.

One wonders if the new Sasquatch in town is running around with a version of the venerable kick me sign on them. You know, having the juveniles say to the new guy, "Hey, if you go on that road at night you get a free hog."

Edited by hiflier

Hello DWA'

That is true and so are people. I make the mistake of being too quick o generalize both sometimes. Generalizing works until one is speaking about the individual. There are exceptional Human Beings by the ton and so it is true for all other animals as well. There are folks in our race that may not be as bright as the rest. Extrapolating that to other creatures is not a big leap. And while most Sasquatch reports indicate an intelligent creature it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that it isn't always so.

I don't know if there are incidences to show that but some of the road stuff may offer examples of Sasquatch not getting it, especially if they are that territorial. The NAWAC Team say that individuals keep showing up even after gun shots so who's to say.

Well, I saw like three deer lying by the road yesterday while going to get the family Christmas tree; shoot, could have gotten my venison supply too!  One was right beneath a roadside mailbox.  Talk about home delivery...

Sasquatch have frozen in the road, the approaching car having to spin out or crash to avoid hitting them.  I've read at least two of those, both on woodape.org.  They've bolted in front of cars and trucks that barely missed them (and in some cases either nicked or pretty substantially bumped them; I've read of at least one likely fatality on bfro.net.  They've waited and watched, and in some instances did what the witness interpreted as a defensive "freeze" (not a deer-in-headlights one). 

Doesn't look as if deer (or other animals to be utterly fair) have figured out roads yet.  Sasquatch may be farther along on that.  But one still sees a variety of behaviors.

Hello DWA,

Wow, makes me think that the defensive freeze would be a way of setting them up. Those instances are probably the result of juveniles playing the practical joke I mentioned on the new guy LOL. You know telling him that the free hog is huge and easy to spot because of the tremendous eyeshine?

Edited by hiflier

I've had pets that at times I thought were the smartest animals I'd ever seen and at other times the dumbest.  Could say the same about some fellow officers.  We're all capable of distraction and misjudgement.

Hello JDL,

Magicians take full advantage of this, so do street cons. Going to the big city can be an education. For Sasquatch going to the big woods?........ I had an Irish setter once. Sharp as a tack, but at times soft as a grape.

Edited by hiflier

In one battalion I served in, we actually had an "On and Off Award" that was presented at each Hail and Farewell by the previous awardee to the officer informally judged as having pulled the biggest screw up since the last presentation.  I won it once (for creative use of tear gas) and had the privilege of presenting it to the Battalion Commander at the next Hail and Farewell (he had stopped his fast attack vehicle [armed dune buggy] in the path of a brush fire to direct people away from the hazard, then had to abandon it [it all burned up] along with all of the high speed systems on it when it stalled).

The On and Off Award was named after a Lieutenant Conanov, (who supposedly never realized it was named after him) who had left the Army shortly before I was assigned to the battalion.  He had been passed over for promotion.  

In some environments and circumstances, those prone to be dumb don't survive long.

Edited by JDL

Hello JDL,

LOL. Yep, that Battalion Commander sounds like the best candidate. "Creative use of tear gas"?.......perfect! You need not explain ;)

MIB plussed, and Sasfooty...no we shouldn't, I agree.

Human IQ (if that is any measure for us) ranges an eighty point spread on a 110 IQ, or so average, and all considered functional levels?

Koko the gorilla scored an 82 or so on a visual IQ test w/o correction for cultural norms..she preferred flowers to ice cream to eat and scored as error...  that still qualified her for many police departments...

they don't need our stuff to get along well in the world....the natural world...

but, within their standards, to their view...are some not as bright or talented as others... ? seems an obvious answer to me..the same range all biology seems to show on such traits.. whatever we measure...a kind of bell curve results...  

what, tho, would not so smart behavior among them, and their view, be?   

Edited by apehuman

Put us in a wild environment next to Koko, and I wonder where we're gonna find the ice cream? 

Maybe she prefers what she knows will be there when she needs it.  We create things that tether us to unreliable stuff like refrigeration and generate scores of 'needs' - which aren't - of their own.

And how smart is that...?

We at least know it ain't wise...and we keep doing it....

Hello DWA,

Tethering is the best term. Even the ancient bow and arrow became a tether. If I am it's creator and don't show anyone how to make one then I transfer that tether into a dependence on me. Choose any modern example of that and insert here _____________

We do that to pets and other animals too. I do think we would do it to Sasquatch also given the chance. But being tethered isn't a sign of stupidity as much as wanting an easier way. Cutting blocks of ice from a lake and packing them into sawdust will mean having ice in the summer heat for a refrigerator that isn't plugged in. It's all about how much work vs. time we want to do something else....or nothing at all. 

Guest thermalman

It makes humans guilty of not using all the "resources" that they have access to.

I agree Sas. But it seems any mention of using resources or technology for Habs, to supply proof, unfortunately

gets quickly shot down.

First of all, you have to define "dumb".

This question is no different than asking if there are dumb humans, or dumb dogs or dumb cats.

"Stupid is, as stupid does".

If anyone gets the chance to watch movies, be sure and see "Quest for Fire". It'll sum up a lot of stupid is as stupid does.

I agree Sas. But it seems any mention of using resources or technology for Habs, to supply proof, unfortunately

gets quickly shot down.

Using resources does not have to imply technology, it can simply mean that you underestimate you "opponent" so badly that you fail to use enough brain cells to get the job done, then again don't use enough of your brain cells to recognize what happened and adjust appropriately.   In other words, YOU are your prime resource.  (IMHO)

MIB

Using resources does not have to imply technology, it can simply mean that you underestimate you "opponent" so badly that you fail to use enough brain cells to get the job done, then again don't use enough of your brain cells to recognize what happened and adjust appropriately.   In other words, YOU are your prime resource.  (IMHO)

MIB

Absolutely, and I wasn't referring to using resources to get proof.

We are born with these resources (maybe that's not the best word, but I can't think of a better one at the moment), & fail to recognize & use them to our advantage. That failure probably makes us look really stupid the the BFs.