Picture's In The Field

daveedoe, thanks for the locale info. My wife and I flew to Vegas just after St. Helens blew her top, and the pilot diverted to the west around the ash plume,banking left so we could all see it. We were at 20,000 ft, and the plume towered far above our flightpath. What an incredible display of nature's power! A decade later, we drove up there from Cougar, and stared in awe at the vast destruction. My late father actually heard the eruption from his home, in Abbotsford, BC, that Sunday morning. I now live in that home, and look out to the SE at Mt. Baker, the next volcano in that string along the "Ring of Fire".

Here's a shot of Baker from my patio:

Those are some lovely East Coast pics, hiflier. Thank You.

post-23759-0-83941200-1389401527_thumb.j

So awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing !!!!

Anyone riding a BMW with the boxster motor?

No one in my group we all are on KLR 650 and one older KLR 600. Earlier that day we did run into a couple BMW's, they came from Stevenson Wa where a bid dual sport bike event was going on. The event is there every year, we were not part of it we just ran into the other group up in the hills. Here is a picture of the meeting. My group we were Squatch'n they weren't 

IMG_3115.jpg

Great pictures Hiflier, love the bald eagle

Hello BC witness,

Thank you. Your pics were a good inpiration for me to post a few :) Mine are from my spouse's point 'n shoot. Personally I endeavor in B&W 35mm film. I'll get some up at some point maybe.

Loving the pictures.  I remember a night flight from Yakima Firing Center to Ft. Lewis on a Blackhawk.  As we were cresting the range, the full moon was almost blood red, but concealed behind the Volcanic peak to our South and some light clouds.  It was just a couple of years after St Helens blew and the first thing I thought was that the peak was erupting. 

Hello JDL,

That must have given you a start! And so soon after the first one especially. I don't have a photo of this as I was eight at the time when this happened. My folks were driving from Ohio to Tennessee to visit my grandparents which they usually did at night because back then there was no interstate and the traffic was lighter. Plus us kids were guaranteed to sleep the entire 400 mile trip which I think was a blessing LOL.

I remember waking up and looking out the car window as we were going through the mountains of WV and saw a sight I will never forget. The moon was full and the valleys below us were shrouded in fog as far as the eye could see with only the peaks of the mountains and hills poking through. The entire scene was like a black and white image with all the color washed out. The moonlight on the fog was as if the valleys were buried in snow. That image was so stark and surreal that it has been burned into my memory as if it were yesterday.

Reminds me of a time I was driving through Utah on I-80.  Clear sky, full moon and a snow-covered landscape as I was coming down a ridge into a valley.  It was so bright that I turned off my headlights for about fifteen seconds to see if it was bright enough to drive without them.  It almost was.

Hello JDL,

I can almost see in my mind what you describe. It's why I like stuff like this. Note that the second photo is actually upside down  :)

Edited by hiflier

Beautiful shots, hiflier. That sets the bar waaaay above my level. I'm a point and shoot kinda guy, with all my above pics from my iphone or my old Canon powershot, whichever is handy. I do appreciate the talent of dedicated hobby photographers like yourself, even though I don't aspire to that high level.

For those not used to the backroads of BC and the US PNW, here's what you can expect in the mountains, you don't want to meet a loaded logging truck here!

post-23759-0-30616500-1389408550_thumb.j

post-23759-0-96968800-1389408583_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

Hello BC witness,

Aw shucks man, don't sell yourself too short here. Your fine photos make me want to be there! Big country and beautiful too! Great combination and it's soo good that you get out and enjoy it. Thanks for the pics- ALL of you. I really enjoy this stuff.

Best thread EVER!    Amazing pics.  My favorite is the big foot print, and the tree break.  Just saw a tree break like that today on our road and thought about BF.  So  many beautiful pictures here.  Thank you all for posting them!  Thank you BFF administrators for having such a great site for us to play.  :)

These pictures were taken a minute or two before I saw it jump in front of me on a back country road close to home, May 14, 2014 at 8pm.  I included a picture that I took a week later in the same place so you could see my view from the front car window.  Some of these pictures are on my www.bfro.net report for Holmes County, Ohio. 

post-23451-0-94935700-1389415418_thumb.j

post-23451-0-75726300-1389415476_thumb.j

These are pictures from our back yard, where we have heard it howl twice LOUD and CLEAR in May.  Then in August, one of our camp-mates saw it watching us.  We weren't paying attention to her when she was trying to tell us.  She thought that we were playing a joke on her when we all walked away from the campsite and into the field to look at the Milky Way.  She drew a picture of her impressions of it a few days later when she found out that we were serious about BF hanging around our place.  She was not a BF person before that, and hopes to never see it again.   

One of these pictures was taken a week later at dusk, just so you could get an idea of where it was standing in the iron weed with the fog rolling in.  She saw it at night.  The BFRO report is pending, so hopefully you will be able to read the official report soon. 

The other picture is of a fabulous sun set that I caught here one night. 

post-23451-0-69176100-1389416342_thumb.j

post-23451-0-80875800-1389416390_thumb.j

post-23451-0-64749000-1389416498_thumb.j

That's a beautiful sunset, Hammer!

And isn't it remarkable how much the subject in your drawing looks like the Brown's thermal? Someone should be along soon to inform you that it's a cow. :lol:

I don't have any good pics to post yet, but I am enjoying this thread a lot. JDL and Hilfier I know what yall are talking of. I am glad to know others that see the wonder of our eyes and what we are blessed to see, In a lot of cases you have to earn the privilege to see some of these things, like staying awake, braving the elements, and going through everything it takes to get you seated on a night mission in a Blackhawk, (basic training, ait,Ranger School, Air Assault School,Q course etc lol Or ******* miles and miles to enjoy the great outdoors and get a dark sky to actually see the stars like they really are. I take my hat off to everyone that does what they can to enjoy our world and do get to see some of its sights whatever they can and however they do.  I remember a night Huey flight into the rising full moon which blew away my fellow soldiers. It was awesome and they didn't know what it was, it was that remarkable. And riding at dawn right after a rain where the water on all the flat surfaces reflected the brilliantly red clouds which were being fantastically underlit by the rising sun which was visible yet. Surreal.  Thanks for jogging those memories.

These last two pictures are of the waterways that are super close to our house.   

The first on is of the Lake Fork branch of the Mohican River.  You can canoe this 10 mile route in 4 hours if you don't paddle and get out every now and then.  You can only do it if it has rained the week before.  And the only canoe livery is out of Toodik campgrounds.  You can't beat it for $18 and float through a very remote area that is HOT for sightings in 2012 and 2013. 

The second picture is on a trail in the Mohican State Park, Ohio.  It is also known for many sightings, but people haven't made as many official reports as Salt Fork State Park.  I guarantee that it is just as squatchy. 

post-23451-0-82915100-1389417671_thumb.j

post-23451-0-17834400-1389417892_thumb.j