Picture's In The Field

Hello Hammer 102492,

I remember Ohio as a kid living in Miamisburg. There was a spooky place we used to go to call Belvo Woods. We also played at the big Miamisburg Indian Mound park. It was across from a Monsanto plant and as 12 year olds one day we walked across the street to the chain linked fence with the barbed wire on top. I had my mother's Brownie camera and we took turns taking each others' picture in front of the fence next to the sgn that said "No Photographs". KIDS! LOL

Edited by hiflier

Sasfooty - Yes, we are blessed to live in this beautiful place!  I am not familiar with Brown's report.  Jen would tell you that it was no cow!  lol

Peoplebooger - Loved your description of what it was like in the military theatre.  You really tell it well.  God bless you and your fellow soldiers and veterans. If it weren't for you guys, we couldn't enjoy this freedom like we do.  And to your comment about people braving the elements, I am happy to report that I have been porch setting these past two hours, celebrating our balmy weather starting of 45 degrees, (better than -16).  It's worth it to be out here enjoying God's beautiful creation.  I am thankful.

I don't think it's a cow, either, Hammer, but there are actually people that can't tell the difference between a BF "head & shoulders" & a levitating cow. Just wanted to warn you so you would be prepared.

Hiflier - Very cool!  Kids know where it's at.  That's the type of attitude that adults need to have when being outdoors.  Just take it all in and have fun!  Ohio is a great state IMHO. 

By the way, two nights ago on this porch, I heard three whoops followed by three knocks.  It was a quarter of a mile away and could have been an owl, followed by a distant neighbor pounding in a stake or something.  So I'm not super confident, but I heard it in the perfect peaceful quiet, after saying some prayers and thinking about how much I was missing close family members that had passed away.  The snow was falling and it was just beautiful.  Then I heard the whoops and knocks. 

Just a few minutes ago, in a break in the music, I heard a knock from our campsite direction.  That one I have a little more confidence in.  Not surprised because it's the first time I've sat outside for several hours since it was warm in fall.  I also have my little sparkly changing colors tree light out here with me just for fun.  I think SSQ couldn't resist looking at it.  It's so cool.  Playing awesome music on our outdoor porch speakers too with sound that carries out into the yard.  So if SSQ is hanging around tonight, they sure know I am here.  :)  It's OK now, I'm not scared of them.  Although if it walked right up to me, I probably would lose it.  A few knocks and howls are fun though.  I hope BF saves the in-person appearance for my husband.  He's the one that needs to see it.  I already know it's here. 

After this Crosby and Nash cd is over, that will complete the 5 disc music selections for the evening.  Then it will be totally quiet and I'll listen for a little while in silence.  I'll let you all know if I hear anything.  The wind is kicking up a little bit, so I'll head inside in about 30 minutes. 

Being outside and enjoying it all is where it's at!  Fun for sure, and I am lucky that I don't have to travel anywhere further than my front porch to be squatching.  Every time something major has happened, it was after hanging out listening to music and being peaceful, having fun.  So we'll see.  Thank you for your indulgence of my stories about living in ground zero for Ohio SSQ!

Sasfooty - lol, I know you know that it isn't a cow!  Too funny.  The cows are about 1/8 of a mile across the road from me now.  They speak up every now and then.  If it levitates over here, I'll let you know.  ha ha   BTW, thanks for keeping track of me here Sass.  You have helped me so much, and I am very grateful for you!

Wildlife sounds now, in the direction of the cows is a big animal scrappy fight right now.  Sounds like cats fighting or maybe raccoon or opossum.  I'm glad the music is on because one of them is going to be dead or gone before too long.

Just like me, I'm sure animals are out and about tonight because it is warmer tonight.  We've been pinned down here for a week with cold and snowy weather. 

Hammer, I envy you having a canoeable river in your back yard. Most of the moving water in my area is of the "hang on for dear life" whitewater type. My sweety talked me into a raft trip on the Chilliwack River, 20 miles from home; she rode on the bow, whooping and hollering as we careened through the rapids, while I watched our second raft group turn completely over! I admit it was exciting, but not something I'd want to do very often.

Oct trip to Sunday Summit - a little comfort from the -5C night, and a well used canoe at Garrison Lake, packed in years ago for communal use.

post-23759-0-53566800-1389432139_thumb.j

post-23759-0-96028600-1389432154_thumb.j

Great stuff BC Witness! 

Yes, I am lucky to be 10 minutes from canoeing.  Sometimes we only go once a year, but this year, we went 3x. 

Whoa on the whitewater rafting!  Been there once in class 5 rapids on the New River in Virginia.  Only thing you can do to stay in the boat is paddle!  Went back 17 years later and it wasn't as rough.   Lucky that no one was hurt when your friends boat flipped.  It's a dangerous sport.  Cool and fun if everyone listens to the guide and keeps paddling! 

OK, big rain now coming in on the porch.

G'night all!   

Guest Llawgoch

This caught my attention on a hot mid September afternoon. I was walking a skidder trail on China Ridge, N. of princeton, BC.

Has someone turned their bike upside down to do something?

A trail in the BC Cascades, about 6000' el., heading into alpine country near Placer Lake

Placer Lake

I have a interesting story about Placer lake thats never been heard before. I was reading Apes among us at work when an older woman Ive known since I was 16 {almost 30 yrs} notices the subject by the cover pics and asks to have a quick look at it. She then proceeds to tell me that she had seen one while camping and that she hadnt told anyone in the 10 yrs since it happened, not even her boyfriend who was in the tent at the time.Its been 4 yrs since she told me so I only remember the basics of the story. 

She told me she had camped at placer lake every summer for many years and that one morning around 6 am she stuck her head out of the tent and thought there was  something standing by the lake and a rocky hillside. At first she thought it was an animal but then thought it was an old man, kinda hunched over, with grey hair. She thought to herself why is he wearing that grey cape when the next thing she knew it started up the rocky slope very fast, and only then thought this is no man, nevermind an old one. She was amazed how quick and effortless it got up the rocks, saying it was a tough climb for most. I think it went into the trees and that was it, not sure.

I talked to Tom S about putting him in touch with her but I didnt follow thru. I know this woman would not make this up, and the only reason told me was because  she saw me reading a book on the subject. Is there any sas history around placer lake ?

ptangier, the Placer Lake I mentioned is in British Columbia, Canada. It's at about 6000' el., on the N. side of a mountain ridge that runs E-W between Hwy 3 and the Ashnola River valley. Access is via the Placer Mt./Lynx Cr. FSR, which gets you to within 600 meters of the lake. That last stretch of trail is very steep and rough, but can be done in a high clearance 4x4. I've been fishing, hunting, camping, dirt biking, mtn biking, and hiking in that area for almost 50 years now, with no sign of BF. Until recently, it was a wildlife paradise, with everything from Richardsons ground squirrels (gophers), to deer, elk, moose, black bears, and cougar, but in the last decade, due to the ravages of the northern pine beetle, it has been clearcut over most of the drainage, to salvage the timber before it became useless and an extreme forest fire hazard.

BigSlick, there have been sighting reports from the Ashnola valley, S of the ridge where the lake is. During the winter, the area immediately around the lake is under 10 to 15 feet of snow, a bit much for even sasquatches, I think.

This pic is at the start of the roughest part of the trail, and yes, I did make it all the way in to the lake in that 1 ton p/u, but I did hit the skid plates more than once! The long-haired guy leaning on the hood is my son, Steve, who has gone camping there with me since he was a year old, in 1965.

post-23759-0-34204700-1389474256_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

You guys live and enjoy some very beautiful places. Thank You Hammer. B.C. you and your son are lucky to have each other to enjoy the great outdoors with I think. That is great.

Llawgoch, no, that isn't a bicycle seat impression, though I can see that it could look like one. I mentioned a few posts below that pic, that it's overlapping cattle tracks, that just happened to form that large foot-like shape.

hiflier, I like it, too. That's why I've stayed here most of my life, in spite of it being one of the highest cost areas in the country to live. For an outdoor enthusiest, this is heaven. Even in the city of Vancouver, area population about 2 million, you're only a short 1/2 hour bus ride from mountain wilderness. Every year, hikers and skiers get lost, and some die, almost within sight of the city.

BigSlick, this is probably the campsite your lady friend camped in, and the view she had from it. The rockslide she mentioned is to the left in that pic of the lake, around the treed point. There is another campsite off to the right of my pic, that would give a view across the lake to that area. There are mountain sheep in the region, do you think she may have seen one of those?

post-23759-0-18917300-1389481232_thumb.j

post-23759-0-58906800-1389481251_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

Its always a possibility, but I dont think so. She seemed to get a fairly good look at it. I should really talk to her again and ask the right questions and get it documented..Maybe even a map of exact area of lake, I think she knows the spot well, even staying a couple weeks at a time.every summer.I will try to reach her, havent talked for a few years tho she lives close.

BCW, what sort of sighting history is there of the area? Where could I read them? I looked when she told me and I couldnt find any. It was 5yr ago tho....and we sure are lucky to be a short drive from so many great spots.I couldnt imagine living elsewhere.....well maybe Cuba for 3 or 4 months a year....

Edited by BigSlick