Bigfoot, Friend Or Foe?

Lake County Bigfooot

If it was trying to kill me, I really don't care whether all of them are alike. I'm worrying about the ones that are trying to kill me.

I'm not worrying about either, See.

My only point is that trying to lump all of them into a single behavioral formula as "friend or foe" is as ridiculous as doing the same with humans.

But I also realize that humans pose a much more prevalent and thus far more serious threat than BF. That's just statistics.

Wouldn't someone who was "standing their ground" be putting up a fight?

stand one's ground

phrase of stand

maintain one's position, typically in the face of opposition.

Correct.

The only two options are fight or flight. 

If you stand your ground then your inviting a fight, then it's up to the opposition as to what they do.

It's what makes Mules better in the mountains than a Horse.........Horses rarely fight, which means they run swiftly over a cliff.

• Upvote 1

See, you distill it down when you put it in perspective regarding risk to family.

I've got a four and two year old right now. 

Having them with me changes everything.

• Upvote 1

No. Standing & fighting are two different things.

standing and "standing your ground" are two different things.

I agree that most vocalizations a bigfoot make are not intended for us, but rather communication among each other.

I am referring to bigfoot who scream in a manner that one would deem threatening. Such as making eye contact with you and screaming. For example:

In the case I'm talking about, it's standing where you are, waiting without fear or anger. The other person, dog, or bigfoot, has the option of walking away, being friends, or having a fight.

It is not fighting until the fight starts.

See, you distill it down when you put it in perspective regarding risk to family.

I've got a four and two year old right now. 

Having them with me changes everything.

That's the main issue, JDL. Trust me, if it were just me, or I had plenty of extra cash, I'd leave everything to the creatures, but I don't.

I realize that they're not the only ones that have to concede defeat.

As I'm sure is the case with everyone, family is the most important thing in life. The hows and whys as to aggressive behavior mean little to me when my family is threatened. Therefore, my time's wasted trying to " know" about them or demonstrate anything to them other than full defensive mode via firearms.

Guest crabshack

^ And that good old boy in the video above should have gone into "left eye socket, by nose, squeeze" mode. The other one charging could have been dropped like a sack of potatoes with ease too.

In the case I'm talking about, it's standing where you are, waiting without fear or anger. The other person, dog, or bigfoot, has the option of walking away, being friends, or having a fight.

It is not fighting until the fight starts.

OK, and you're standing there in front of an 8', 600 lb. beast that's displaying aggressive behavior. There's no guarantee that they'll stop cold because you're standing your ground.

Once the fighting starts - and you're defenseless - you're screwed!

You should not be defenseless.

If guns & axes are your defense, it's your choice.

But there are things that they respect or fear more.

See-Te-Cah, are they threatening you?

No, they're not. It was a hypothetical based on the stories presented in the topic.

I truly appreciate your concern, though. Thanks for that.

OK, and you're standing there in front of an 8', 600 lb. beast that's displaying aggressive behavior. There's no guarantee that they'll stop cold because you're standing your ground.

I stood & watched one about that size run past me within about 3'. He didn't stop cold, but at least he went around. I didn't think he was threatening as much as saying "See? I'm not afraid." I stood there & said the same thing. (I have to admit to being a little shaky after it was over & I had time to think about it.)

We were friendly after that.

I think we need to remind our selves that humans are also capable of nasty animalistic behaviors and actions, if the sasquatch is human { or near human } it should not surprise us to see them take on wild creature like behaviors.

They grow up in a harsh environment that teaches do or die, if they observe other wildlife using such behaviors successfully to obtain food and defend themselves what would stop them using these same tactics ? 

Friend or foe, the idea that they are your friends is really more of a romantic idea.  No matter how much trust you earn or how friendly you are it does not change that they are wild and simply unpredictable. 

That being said, I personally go out solo most of the time to attempt to earn trust and get closer, I am fully aware that it is dangerous but it a risk I am willing to take.  Risk nothing = gain nothing.

I wonder Nate, if they more or less 'know you', if that makes it safer to a degree, as your not just some 'random' person walking along in the forest, they have a hankering to.

I wonder if there are any stories about so called 'habbers', who properly deal with the BF and have dangerous encounters. I know they can be....well, BF, giant paleolithic forest hominids, but they also have family structures and can't behave badly all the time.

I know you can have a negative encounter if you 'do the wrong thing', but I would think if they know you as a regular, you are much safer than the random person walking in the woods, wrong place wrong time. Kinda like the big city thing.

Bigfoot scares me. Not because I think every bigfoot is out to harm me, but I it is my opinion they are capable of it.

If ( some ) bigfoot didn't intend on humans being afraid of them, why would they do the things they do.

Such as throw rocks, slap houses, rock cars and scream.

It is there way of interacting with us and having some type of power over us. They could wipe a few of us out, but we could wipe them all out. Theoretically.

Humans are a huge danger and threat to BF. We tend to forget that.

These are probably youngish males with high testosterone. As a human male I could tell you all the stupid anti-social stuff I did from 12 yrs old on, but I don't want to encourage borderline criminal behavior.

Throw snowballs at cars, play ring the doorbell, etc....we all do the same things, generally...

I stood & watched one about that size run past me within about 3'. He didn't stop cold, but at least he went around. I didn't think he was threatening as much as saying "See? I'm not afraid." I stood there & said the same thing. (I have to admit to being a little shaky after it was over & I had time to think about it.)

We were friendly after that.

A camera could have offered complete protection.

• Upvote 1

In no way am I being a jerk here, just a friendly warning.......

Timothy Treadwell lived in his "bear maze" in Alaska for 13 years. He had his bears named, they were used to his presence and the guy even actually "pet" a few of them.

In his thirteenth season, ole mother nature threw him a curve ball, and a old bear that was probably hungry decided to eat him and his girlfriend, and that was that.

Human are not used to thinking about our selves as part of the food chain, but we are...........we are a sack of meat walking around. If you choose to not arm yourself as we humans have done for millennia? Well then lightning may strike and you may end up in a pile of manure on the forest floor.

We have absolutely no idea what a Sasquatch is capable of, people like Sasfooty have had good experiences interacting with them, good for her. But as with the Treadwell example, the situation could change on a dime, or people in another part of the country may have a completely different experience.

Even within a species there is every disposition from A to Z. And when that species can rip you to shreds? That needs to be in the back of your mind at ALL times.

Another example is of the lady that owned the chimp that ripped her friends face off. This is a chimp that was raised as a human since he was a baby.

I'll get off my soap box folks.........just be careful out there and use a little common sense.

• Upvote 1