Bigfoot, Friend Or Foe?

Lake County Bigfooot

I used to have a dog that followed me when I would ride my horse. He was a big, tough one, but he didn't cause trouble. He minded his own business. Sometimes we'd go by a house & a dog would run out & challenge him. Usually, he'd just look at them & they'd lie down & turn over in fear. If they did, he'd walk up sneer at them, pee on them, scratch dirt on them & walk away. Kinda the dog version of spitting on someone. If they wanted to challenge him, he would whip them & let them go with their pride intact. The next time we came by they would be friendly to each other. A few would just stand their ground & watch as we went by. They held their ground. They respected him & he respected them. The ones that got peed on, would stay on the porch.

I didn't intentionally do anything to gain the BF's respect. They gave it to me & I gave it to them, although I think there is a lot more to it than that. I never thought of them as "animals". They were "the people in the woods". One thing that they loathe in us is fear. Fear is the worst thing you can show them. Fear shrinks your soul & makes you small & disgusting to them.

They spit on us if we fear them. Sometimes they whip us if we fight them.  But not always. Sometimes we win, if we're tough enough. But they only respect us if we deserve it.

Hello Sasfooty,

How do we even know bigfoot is capable of respect? We dont.

re·spect  riˈspekt/

noun

• 1.a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements. 

Since you say you didn't do anything it must be your qualities? Well then good luck to ya. Hope your "qualities" never fail you.

One thing that they loathe in us is fear. Fear is the worst thing you can show them. Fear shrinks your soul & makes you small & disgusting to them.

How exactly did you come to know this? I'm not being facetious. I am really curious what occurred in your interactions with bigfoot for you to come to that conclusion.

Respect is situational. 

Do they respect our ability to wrestle them to the ground?  No.

Do they respect our potential to harm them?  Yes.

Do they understand fear?  Yes.

Ha one ever chased a fleeing human?  Yes.

Do they understand when someone stands their ground?  Yes.

Do they understand territory?  Yes.

Do they understand your right to defend your territory?  Yes.

Do they understand their right to defend their territory?  Yes.

Will they knock you down if you pee on the bush they're hiding in?  Yes.

Will they make their presence known if you pee on a tree in their immediate territory?  Probably.

I stood my ground in '72 and that worked out ok.

I picked up the axe and carried it, but did not brandish it in '74.  That worked out ok too.

I agree fear is not the best response, but neither is peeing on their bush.

There are far too many people here that are laboring under the completely false impression that all BF are one size fits all, so to speak.

That is no more valid than making that same assumption about all people, or all dogs, or all cats.

^^^^ Agreed Larry P. As many different personalities as are found in people, dogs, and especially cats.

Fear (or lack of) has always been an important part of NA life. Many milestones in NA life are reached through (lack of) fear.   Much respect for the brave warrior who shows no fear going into battle, while there are usually no accolades for one showing fear.  Could be an acknowledgement of NA human culture or thousands of years of their own culture.

Edited to include:  I think some level of respect is given instantly to the human who does not run away screaming and tries to stand their ground.....provided they aren't reaching for a weapon!

Edited by Skookum Chuck

There are far too many people here that are laboring under the completely false impression that all BF are one size fits all, so to speak.

That is no more valid than making that same assumption about all people, or all dogs, or all cats.

^^^that.

The big mistake of bigfoot skepticism is lumping. Everything gets lumped. No nuance; no distinctions; none of the stuff that every one of us uses to make sense out of everything else that happens to us. Just odd, that's all.

Edited by DWA

OK, let's recap the discussion up to this point:

- In the "Siege " story, You had the creatures running rampant on the property... stealing food stuffs, showing aggression toward the human occupants, and threatening to enter their home. They even disabled the non-lethal measures taken by the homeowners to keep them at bay.

- You had the "Montana" story where the creatures decided to take what they wanted and enter homes at will.

- In both instances, the creatures were allowed to continue the behavior(s) unmitigated until a limit had been reached by the humans involved.

- At "Honobia," the creatures were approaching visiting family members (some of them women & children) and displaying aggression toward them, such as growling, throwing large rocks, and making approaches toward the victims, often in numbers.

- When confronted, the creatures continued to display aggressive behavior. In the second story, a man that stood his ground was snatched off of the porch, beaten, and carried off into the night. A band of humans had to locate the man, now at death's door from his beating, and take him to the hospital where he subsequently died. (if the story is to be believed).

- We're not talking about dogs here, nor are we talking about any creature that a man would have a reasonable chance of holding his own against without using superior intelligence and ingenuity. In our case, that usually means superior technology, like weapons... namely firearms.

I want to ask a very serious question here - Which member here would have the gumption to stand up to one or more of these aggressive creatures unarmed or brandishing an axe, or expect their wife or children to do so? If one (or more) were trying to enter your home with your children inside, how adequate would an axe be? How about accounting for superior numbers of creatures that are larger, faster, and stronger than you are? Would you "pee on their heads?" Personally, I believe not. If you would in fact do so, you'd be a victim in short order, as would your family.

It seems that there are those that assign the cognitive reasoning skills of a human to these creatures, not to mention a degree of concern for another creature, in this case a human. If they understand territory, they'd not violate mine, nor would they blame me for "knocking them down" when they "pee on my bush." If they understand my right to defend my territory, this implies that they could care less when they not only start, but continue to violate it. If they understand fear, they will understand that I have fear, too, and that they're crossing the line.

All things being equal, I can see the suggestions and examples offered as being somewhat effective. However, things aren't equal in these two cases. That's why we had to develop technology through intelligence to overcome our inadequacies when dealing with a physically superior creature like this.

I'll say it again - Anyone that anthropomorphizes these creatures does so at their own peril. Should we hunt them all down with the intention of exterminating them? Certainly not, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sing "Kumbaya" with them when they're intimidating, attacking, and stealing from me and mine.

If we are all honest about it, nobody would. 

If it was trying to kill me, I really don't care whether all of them are alike. I'm worrying about the ones that are trying to kill me.

• Upvote 1

Guns & axes aren't the answer. A few can be killed, but there are more, & more & more.

Technology is a rickety crutch. Knowledge is the answer.

How exactly did you come to know this? I'm not being facetious. I am really curious what occurred in your interactions with bigfoot for you to come to that conclusion.

I was given the experience of having the extreme opposite of fear for three days. I can't adequately describe it because the words to describe it don't exist.

Can you imagine how it would feel to not have anything bad in your mind? No worries, fear, anger, pain, or hate? Nothing but love & peace? The absolute knowledge that nothing can hurt you. Having it proven to you?  Knowing it can't hurt you simply because you know that it can't?

Some of it faded, but not all, & I remember....

Edited by Sasfooty

Well, above we are reading the fundamental problem that all humanity poses to the planet's ecosystems:

Any one of us is going to protect what is ours from anything trying to intrude upon it.

And every day there are more and more and more of us, building more and more and more stuff...protecting it from anything that wants to take it from us...you can see where this is going.

Guns & axes aren't the answer. A few can be killed, but there are more, & more & more.

Technology is a rickety crutch. Knowledge is the answer.

I was given the experience of having the extreme opposite of fear for three days. I can't adequately describe it because the words to describe it don't exist.

Can you imagine how it would feel to not have anything bad in your mind? No worries, fear, anger, pain, or hate? Nothing but love & peace? The absolute knowledge that nothing can hurt you. Having it proven to you?  Knowing it can't hurt you simply because you know that it can't?

Some of it faded, but not all, & I remember....

Sorry, but when an aggressive creature decides to throw its weight around for any reason, a weapon is precisely the answer. I can kill the ones trying to hurt me and mine now, and reload (there are more bullets to be had) to be ready for the next ones that didn't use their smarts to learn from the examples of the previous consequences suffered by their dead contemporaries.

The bold statement in your quote is simply unbelievable. To avoid conflict, I'll dismiss it as your personal opinion, knowing you're entitled to it.

Well, above we are reading the fundamental problem that all humanity poses to the planet's ecosystems:

Any one of us is going to protect what is ours from anything trying to intrude upon it.

And every day there are more and more and more of us, building more and more and more stuff...protecting it from anything that wants to take it from us...you can see where this is going.

Understood, but accepted. As inhabitants of this planet, we have a right to be here, too. Evolution says "survival of the fittest." If we're the fittest, then we are doing just as Evolution demands of us. Creatures that cannot compete have to exist around us, just as it would be between any other animals in this world. If they cannot comprehend that a creature of superior intellect and aggression rules the roost, Evolution says that failure to adapt means their extermination. Adaptation is the responsibility of the inferior creature, not the superior one.

Evolution doesn't assign the responsibility of stewardship to any creature affected by it. If it does, I'd love to learn about it.

^^^Oh, I'd agree.  It's about the inevitable results of our actions, not their "rightness" or "wrongness."  Nature is gonna be nature...and includes us.

With emphasis.