Secrecy And The Myth Of Protection.

Guest Crowlogic

Ant - you totally need to try the tarp trick with the skunk.  But make sure to video it and post it on here so others can learn from your experience (good or bad).  :-)

Yuchi - you make a good point about habituating and talking about it on a forum like this....not sure I would.

The second scenario you mention....I'm not aware of any groups that do that....

*ducking and running*  :-)

You think I could go viral : )

tarp trick works, hold it high, stay behind it  moving  slowly and don't agitate the skunk. clear poly sheeting also works and you can see if the skunks appears nervous in case you need to leave it calm down a bit.

someone mentioned a river... if its legal to kill skunks in your area , have a decent length rope tied through the trap and toss the captured package in the river while holding onto the rope or tie it to a tree so you can retrieve the trap after the skunk expires. if it sprays under water no big deal.

just make sure the water is deep enough to cover it first otherwise you still get gassed .

WHAT?!?!?!!?!?!!?

Never!!!!! not to a skunk!!

They eat bugs and waste and stale cookies and crackers etc. How could I do that to one of the cuter critters out there.

Now I have thought of eating that woodchuck but know full well I'd chicken out on killing it. Hence finding a suitable place for it to live after I catch it.

They also carry rabies. If they're hanging around close to people & pets they need to go. I've killed two in the last few years that almost certainly had it. I don't like to kill anything, including spiders & snakes, but when I shot the one that was running toward me at 10 am, dragging it's tail, I felt nothing but relief...for both of us.

Fortunately, my mama skunk is not rabid. She is quite friendly actually. My cats aren't bothered by her and she is fine with them.

some folks don't have the stomach / nerve to kill animals, as pests or for food.... just the way it is.  until their dog gets sprayed, then Pepe le pew has got to go, lol.

I hope the cats' rabies shots are up to date......

yes kitties are up to date. most anyway. there are a few that I have never caught. I keep trying. I want to stop the population boom and bust that keeps happening here every year.