A Few Words Concerning Bigfoot At The Half Century Mark

Guest Crowlogic

Name some true skeptics. (That aren't proponents.) I have not encountered one here.

Not one? Oh I see what you're saying, in order to be a true skeptic you have to be a proponent.

The missing point is, I believe: By Science's own professed standards and criteria, the threshold was exceeded long ago. 

That's where we differ. I know of nothing that would constitute scientific proof. There is plenty to cause a deeper look, but that is a different matter than being accepted to exist by science.

Not one? Oh I see what you're saying, in order to be a true skeptic you have to be a proponent.

In order to be a true skeptic you don't just go "naaaaaaaaaaaaah" all the time, as a number of folks here do. That is what is known as a cynic or a dismisser. A skeptic is one who doubts. A skeptic is not one who only dismisses and rejects.

Edited by Neanderfoot

People here constantly and erroneously refer to skeptics as scofftics/denialists and vice versa.

• Upvote 1

That's where we differ. I know of nothing that would constitute scientific proof. There is plenty to cause a deeper look, but that is a different matter than being accepted to exist by science.

Yes but...you've got to be open to the idea at least. My brief on that point? Your same point: There is plenty to cause a deeper look.  That "deeper look" at the PGF, at a minimum would be a nice place to start.  That sure was a non-starter, weren't it? Then, well, you know, lots and lots of other data to keep deeper lookers looking ever deeper.  So far, the only deeper look Science does take is at the tops of its shoes to keep from having to wrestle with the messy evidence, and quite possibly because it upsets a very, very deep paradigm most of the grant-seeking set can't get comfortable with. 

Fuggedaboudit though. It ain't happening, and you know it very well. Doesn't make it not worth calling out. Shame is not a great motivator, but it does in a pinch.  Shame is the word here.

So far, the only deeper look Science does take is at the tops of its shoes

Well, they took a look at Justin Smeja's shoes with Sykes, or were going to, last I remember there was question if they could get anything worthwhile from his boots. But still, Sykes did take a deep, close look. Just because he didn't come up with results showing BF exists we can't say it didn't happen.

Negative results from science is frustrating but it isn't unexpected, at least on my part . There isn't much more involving an indepth scienctific approach towards BF, but that's mainly due, in my opinion, to a lack of hard physical evidence to test and confirm, and that is what science requires.

In my opinion if BF does indeed exist they are extremely rare, possibly functionally extinct or actually recently extinct. I believe the evidence shows enough to not deem them extinct at this point however. To my point, with them being so rare, it's finding a needle in a haystack so there will be much frustration and many dead ends. An outright body or body part would be great, but DNA can do the job. Science IS still looking and even on the small scale it is doing so, all it takes is results that can be replicated by several labs, reputable labs above question.  Unless that happens mainstream science is not going to spend time on the subject, but with proof they can't deny they'll have to.

Guest Crowlogic

Well, they took a look at Justin Smeja's shoes with Sykes, or were going to, last I remember there was question if they could get anything worthwhile from his boots. But still, Sykes did take a deep, close look. Just because he didn't come up with results showing BF exists we can't say it didn't happen.

Actually science did get some incriminating evidence from Smeja's boots and it was huge.  They had the proof all there no doubt about it.  The lab was going to publish along with Sykes actual findings but the silence squad arrived and they were issued a gag order or else.  Yes the government cover up machine went into high gear on that one.  It always does you know.

Actually science did get some incriminating evidence from Smeja's boots and it was huge.  

Your willful misrepresentation of facts is diminishing anyone's ability to take your comments seriously.

Sykes said he didn't get anything from the boots.

@40:20

No.  In order to be a true skeptic:

1) you have to show me you have examined the evidence.

2) you need to walk me to your conclusions - as I have done, many a time here - using the evidence.

3) you need to show me you haven't swallowed guesses, blanket condemnations and stuff people have told you who resolutely refuse to show their work - while the people I show you have done theirs and put it in the public domain.

Simple.

Right...?

Bigfoot skepticism has survived the way cockroaches in dark corners do:  from the inattention to this topic by people capable of putting them in their place.

Except:  people *have*.  And those people have put the mainstream in their place, too, showing their objections to be intellectually bankrupt crap.

Seriously.  *One person* negative toward this topic who displayed 1) through 3).

One.

Your willful misrepresentation of facts is diminishing anyone's ability to take your comments seriously.

I'd say that ability, right now, for serious people, is approaching absolute zero.  We're talking Kelvin finger-twirl, foil-beanie country here.

Guest Crowlogic

Sykes said he didn't get anything from the boots.

@40:20

You mean you were unable to appreciate an example of how the system works in order for it to continue in the face of reality?  Exactly what is the difference in my little conspiracy ditty that the overall conspiracy stories mounted regularly and believed readily in the bigfoot world?  Why it's every bit as credible sounding as the rangers going after renegade bigfoot with machine guns.  My yarn makes Smeja a victim of the govment as opposed to a trigger happy sod out offing bears for pleasure.  And everybody knows bigfooting love victims.

Sometimes one just has to stand back and just marvel.

BIGFOOT SKEPTICISM IS THE ULTIMATE IN CONSPIRACY THEORY, um, Crow.

It accomplishes nothing Crow. You don't know who accepts what, but you love to assume. It figures though that sticking to the facts doesn't serve your purpose.

Actually science did get some incriminating evidence from Smeja's boots and it was huge.  They had the proof all there no doubt about it.  The lab was going to publish along with Sykes actual findings but the silence squad arrived and they were issued a gag order or else.  Yes the government cover up machine went into high gear on that one.  It always does you know.

I stand accused (in another thread) of being a government silence squad agent, so yeah, I know how it works.