A Few Words Concerning Bigfoot At The Half Century Mark

Guest Crowlogic

Guest Crowlogic

I can just picture the scientists in the 1500's using this argument against Coperinicus. 

What isn't yet understood is almost always met with mockery.

Except we're not in the 1500's.  There is ample information about bigfoot/bigfootism for a person to draw conclusions from.  The fact remains that bigfootism is almost an upside down iceberg.  If it were a normal iceberg the visible tip would be  this tiny little said to be kernel of truth and the true hidden mass of the iceberg is composed of the proverbial tin foil hat contingent.  Yes there is this giant mass of all manner of  bigfootism absurdity  that  one could call the welcoming committee and then there's this tiny little secret all but invisible rational reality group that may as well not even exist.  So it isn't like people have to learn higher mathematics, geometry and calculus  to know if there's anything to it.

Edited by Crowlogic

And CL continues to demonstrate why he won't be taken seriously anytime soon. Hint: Anne Boleyn.  (It's history AND Science Crow) Read man, read! 

Name some things that are more silly than belief in bigfoot? Yes the world is full of beliefs and nobody can be aware of every belief. However with regards to bigfoot the average North American has had enough exposure to the myth to draw some sort of conclusion or opinion. Whether the "serious" bigfooter wants to admit it or not there are far too many "tin foil hat types" practicing bigfootism than there are level headed ones. You know once you've stepped off of the bigfoot treadmill and observe it from a rational distance and detachment the whole thing tips heavily into tin foil hat territory.

This is bigfootism can anybody seriously believe that a proper protocol of evidence documentation would actually take place? Just a skim over the history of evidence samples and the excuses attached to them is more than enough to dissuade serious science.

Here is a bit of normal bigfootism. Is science going to knock on that guy's door?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=BHcVNAuFK1Y

If you are presenting the view of science then you are making the proponents point. Prejudice against even the thought of testing the evidence is hardly an unbiased approach to it. Oh, and it didn't matter if smeja held that bear sample in his bear hand to Sykes, so your objection to protocols is a non issue. They have the processes to remove human contamination, except when it tests human, then....it's contamination and not a true result.

I was flicking channels yesterday. I came across this show where a spiritualist guy claims he could talk to the dead on the 'other side'....and the studio audience was lapping it up and totally buying it. If that isn't far sillier than the concept of an illusive primate then??????? Talking to dead people? Really?? This was on t.v.

I've never seen a t.v show with a studio full of bigfoot believers ooohing and ahhhing.

Are you kidding? A Deity, ghosts, re-incarnation, angels, alien abduction, clairvoyancey, etc etc etc. You'll find that the majority of the world's population believes in at least one of the above....yet here you are more or less claiming an elusive primate is basically the silliest thing you can imagine.

Hilarious!!  

For you, those things may be sillier but many more people believe in ghosts, deities, angels, aliens than believe in sasquatch. So, sorry; one man's "known" is another man's silly. Belief in sasquatch is currently in the fringe OF the fringe.

Perhaps, since this is the "where are we 50 years post the PGF" thread, we should consider WHY so long after the PGF there hasn't been definitive proof presented?

Perhaps 2, since there hasn't been significant progress since PGF perhaps it isn't surprising that belief in sasquatch hovers around 20%.

links for beliefs in the things you mentioned your post by the american public are listed below:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-76-percent-believe-in-god-38-percent-do-what-god-asks/article/2537977

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-majority-believe-in-ghosts/

http://www.inquisitr.com/171741/77-percent-of-americans-believe-in-angels-polling/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ufos-exist-americans-national-geographic-survey/story?id=16661311

http://www.gallup.com/poll/16915/Three-Four-Americans-Believe-Paranormal.aspx

• Upvote 1

I was flicking channels yesterday. I came across this show where a spiritualist guy claims he could talk to the dead on the 'other side'....and the studio audience was lapping it up and totally buying it. If that isn't far sillier than the concept of an illusive primate then??????? Talking to dead people? Really?? This was on t.v.

I've never seen a t.v show with a studio full of bigfoot believers ooohing and ahhhing.

And the critical mistake institutional skepticism makes is lumping sasquatch with stuff like that...when there is not a single earthly reason for a person paying half a mind to do so.

Are you kidding? A Deity, ghosts, re-incarnation, angels, alien abduction, clairvoyancey, etc etc etc. You'll find that the majority of the world's population believes in at least one of the above....yet here you are more or less claiming an elusive primate is basically the silliest thing you can imagine.

Hilarious!!  

And yeah, the post by Crowlogic that this responds to is a case in point.

So it isn't like people have to learn higher mathematics, geometry and calculus  to know if there's anything to it.

Maybe not, but a lesson in dental forensics wouldn't hurt.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Bodhi likes to cherry pick his data sources and claims that his listed polls show more people believe in paranormal that believe in BF.     The Gallop poll he reverenced shows that 32% of the people polled believe in ghosts, that is the same as two polls I found that showing 29% in one case and 33% of people polled in another survey believe in bigfoot.     Statistically the same.   I have no idea where he got the 20% but it probably was the smallest percentage poll he could find.    More people believe in BF than believe in clairvoyance, channeling, witches,  communicating with the dead etc.       Belief in BF is more prevalent than anything paranormal except for ghosts.    And since bigfoot is considered paranormal it is just another category of that. 

For you, those things may be sillier but many more people believe in ghosts, deities, angels, aliens than believe in sasquatch. 

Wakey wakey. Didn't I already say that? I already said that most of the world's population believe in things far sillier than bigfoot. This is my whole point.

Demons, spirits, fairies, deity, re-incarnation etc are more far fetched than an illusive primate. I don't know any scientist who would seriously argue otherwise.

So while the skeptics are having fun mocking people for believing in an elusive primate I hope they realise that a lot more people believe in things far less likely.

And note the "for you, those things may be sillier..."  No, Bodhi.  Those things are sillier.  Nothing supports them.

This is the crippling affliction of the bigfoot skeptic:  he can't tell [poopies] from shinola.

Perhaps 2, since there hasn't been significant progress since PGF perhaps it isn't surprising that belief in sasquatch hovers around 20%.

It's not a surprise to me at all because most people don't even think about bigfoot and most people won't even know too much about bigfoot even if asked. Bigfoot is not really a big deal in the way a deity or life after death is a big deal in normal culture by comparison so it would be less likely to even enter the majority of people's heads. Ghosts also have far more of a grip on the social consciousness of the public than bigfoot so it's a comparison that is unfair to make.

To repeat, most people don't think and don't even know too much about the subject of bigfoot so of course the percentage for the affirmative is going to be lower. While 'we' on this forum talk and think about bigfoot nearly every day, that is not the case for the vast majority of the public. Bigfoot comes way lower than a deity, ghosts etc.

And note the "for you, those things may be sillier..."  No, Bodhi.  Those things are sillier.  Nothing supports them.

This is the crippling affliction of the bigfoot skeptic:  he can't tell [poopies] from shinola.

Yeah if we are now getting to the point where a skeptic is claiming fairies are no sillier than primates then I think it's time to say "troll!". 

And yeah, the post by Crowlogic that this responds to is a case in point.

I've got a sneaking suspicion Crowlogic might believe in one of the things on my list. Not that I care.

And note the "for you, those things may be sillier..."  No, Bodhi.  Those things are sillier.  Nothing supports them.

Of course they are. Not that I would try and argue against people who believe such stuff. Good luck to them, if that's what they want to do. No skin off my nose.

Edited by Neanderfoot

It's not a surprise to me at all because most people don't even think about bigfoot and most people won't even know too much about bigfoot even if asked. Bigfoot is not really a big deal in the way a deity or life after death is a big deal in normal culture by comparison so it would be less likely to even enter the majority of people's heads. Ghosts also have far more of a grip on the social consciousness of the public than bigfoot so it's a comparison that is unfair to make.

Exactly.  Too many people have been following crap topics that nothing supports for way too long to have the common sense to keep doing it...but they do.  This one has a level of support nothing else has that we have not confirmed.  Yet we haven't.  The lack of attention to the evidence is the reason.  The evidence is right there.  There is no freakin excuse for you and me to be on science's absolute cutting edge, a place few scientists dare to tread.  Yet here we are.  They don't know what they are looking at...if they look at all.  We do.  That is the only difference.

To repeat, most people don't think and don't even know too much about the subject of bigfoot so of course the percentage for the affirmative is going to be lower. While 'we' on this forum talk and think about bigfoot nearly every day, that is not the case for the vast majority of the public. Bigfoot comes way lower than a deity, ghosts etc.

Most people think less about bigfoot in a year...than I put effort into typing this sentence.

Yeah if we are now getting to the point where a skeptic is claiming fairies are no sillier than primates then I think it's time to say "troll!". 

Ain't.That.The.Truth.

You guys really need to get your Sesquac status (premium membership). This conversation would be way better in The Tarpit. (Thank to those of you who already have!).

Please be careful that you post according to the No Religion rule and that your posts don't leave others in a position that they can't respond WITHOUT breaking the rules.

Thanks for treading carefully on the thin ice!

Wakey wakey. Didn't I already say that? I already said that most of the world's population believe in things far sillier than bigfoot. This is my whole point.

Demons, spirits, fairies, deity, re-incarnation etc are more far fetched than an illusive primate. I don't know any scientist who would seriously argue otherwise.

So while the skeptics are having fun mocking people for believing in an elusive primate I hope they realise that a lot more people believe in things far less likely.

I'm not now nor have I in the past mocked anyone. Please either note where I've done so or apologize. Thanks.

Except we're not in the 1500's.  There is ample information about bigfoot/bigfootism for a person to draw conclusions from.  

And some of us are paying attention to it, Crow.

The fact remains that bigfootism is almost an upside down iceberg.

And here you are.  There could not be a better example than this what bigfoot skeptics have to do to think they have a point:  turn icebergs upside down and think it makes sense.  I am imagining Crow spinning in his seat typing that sentence.

If it were a normal iceberg the visible tip would be  this tiny little said to be kernel of truth and the true hidden mass of the iceberg is composed of the proverbial tin foil hat contingent.  Yes there is this giant mass of all manner of  bigfootism absurdity  that  one could call the welcoming committee and then there's this tiny little secret all but invisible rational reality group that may as well not even exist.  So it isn't like people have to learn higher mathematics, geometry and calculus  to know if there's anything to it.

I am awaiting translation.  Except for that last sentence.  I got As in calculus and geometry but don't talk to me about them now; higher mathematics was balancing my checkbook, why I quit; ...and I have done the science and this critter's real.  So, wow, Crow is right about something!