Dr. Melba Ketchum Schedule To Speak About Sasquatch Dna On October 1, 2011

Is it really necessary for a bigfoot to be collected and the hair analised.

Ummm, yeah, kinda. Otherwise all we're doing is speculating (had to get that in for Mulder) heh heh. <_<

If there are enough samples collected from around the globe with identical properties, surely this would help the cause.

But are the samples identical?

RayG

Ummm, yeah, kinda. Otherwise all we're doing is speculating (had to get that in for Mulder) heh heh. <_<

But are the samples identical?

RayG

I'd gladly submit hairs I have collected to any lab and have them compared to other hairs that have been varified as being from an unknown primate

Edited by yowiie

Guest FuriousGeorge

FG,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I do beleive that hair has been collected and documented as being from BF. DR Fahrenbach has analised hairs from the USA and has stated that they are from a primate beleived to be BF/sasquatch hair

Yowie, I know it takes me a long time to get to where I'm going in a post but the point I was trying to make was, there is a difference in stating he has proof and showing that he has proof. I guess Ray nailed what I was asking in just one line above. It takes me longer for my brain to fire up.

As did Tom Moore, of the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game, back in the 70s. Multiple hairs from different finds, all typed, analyzed and found to be "unknown primate" hairs, not matching any other primate on record.

Mulder, if this is true then I stand corrected. I do wonder what type of database (how complete) was available in the 70's since they weren't really commercially available until around 2 decades later. Maybe he hacked into the WOPR. But the same point as above. Are the results on paper? When I say "paper" I mean the likes of Scientific American or Time magazine where such a great scientific discovery would wind up. If it can only be found in someone's blog, I'm going to have to pass. Although I would still like to read it.

ETA I do realize that these are old debates being rehashed by me but it could be important as a primer to try and establish common lines of acceptance when Dr. Ketchum's results come out.

Edited by FuriousGeorge

Mulder,

Sometimes one can be too partisan as to misread some other's position. Parnassus is speculating based on his understanding of the issues surrounding Bigfoot phenomena. I have contributed my two cents worth, as have others. You imply we are somehow trying to prejudice the case against the DNA report for reasons that are dastardly.

Contrarily, this would be a great opportunity for BFF folks to offer thoughts and reasoning concerning the possible DNA paper findings (as well as attendant Sierra Shootings and Erickson doc) and this would be a way to confirm or invalidate our methods and understanding of the relevant issues, in principle, and in a most bare, honest way: before our ideas are exposed as correct, incorrect, or in-between.

This exercise would be as much about us as would be about the DNA report. If we could avoid rancor (admittedly, the Great Stumbling Block), we could try to understand each other and the issues better. Sorry you don't see any value in taking such a path.

• 5 weeks later...

Well we are 3 days away from Dr. Ketchum speaking in Oklahoma and I'm not expecting here to step up to the podium and proclaim " Mission accomplished!" I haven't heard any rumbling of the Olympic Project, Paulides, Erickson, BFRO or ORIG-6 flocking to Honobia, OK to be part of the big announcement, so I'm guessing it will be a 45 minute talk about everything but real answers. I'm just hoping that Dr. Ketchum will at the very least pin a date on this thing and not use the word soon for when the results will be released.

Is anyone here going? If so can you give us an update Saturday night after the conference ends? I was planning on going myself until I found out how difficult it is to get there from NY. I could have made it to London in less time. :D

Hello..!

If someone of the members of this forum go there,could it be possible to take some pictures of the Dr Ketchum conference..?

Gracias and sorry for my bad english.. :blush:

Guest vilnoori

Which hairs were verified as being from an unknown primate?

RayG

Aw c'mon Ray, that was just his Aussie accent. LOL details, details.

osskar I am interested in a play by play as well, and hopeful, as always.

Edited by vilnoori

There's something out there causing all of these footprints- you admit they exist. WHATEVER is causing them is unknown to man; bigfoot or otherwise.

With all these tracks found has anyone ever put a blood hound with a radio colar on a set of them? It seems like a simple way to catch up to one.

With all these tracks found has anyone ever put a blood hound with a radio colar on a set of them? It seems like a simple way to catch up to one.

great question, I asked it myself once upon a time and found some answers

Because no Bloodhound has ever been trained to follow Sasquatch's scent. How would you do that when we have no remains to expose them to? Typically Bloodhounds begin scent training at very young ages, being exposed daily to human scents.

Great article on bloodhound misconceptions.

Tracking vs. Trailing

by Jan Rothwell

There is always confusion and misunderstanding regarding the differences between tracking and trailing. Although there similarities. They both require a dog, a harness and a handler. They both have three levels of competition, but the sports differ from there.

The definition of tracking as stated in the AKC tracking regulations is as follows: The purpose of the tracking test is to demonstrate the dog's ability to recognize and follow human scent, a skill that is useful in the service of mankind.

The definition of trailing as stated in the ABC trailing standard is as follows:The purpose of a trailing trial is to certify the Bloodhound's abilities for trailing and correctly identifying a specific person in a field setting. I would probably amend the ABC trailing standard to include the ability of a dog to "scent discriminate" as this is truly what our Bloodhounds excel at.

I offer the following as my definitions of the two sports. It is important to remember we are talking about the sport of tracking and trailing. I label myself as the ultimate hobbyist when it comes to trailing!

Tracking is a test of the dog's ability to follow human scent and identify articles along the way. A track (depending on the test level) can be from 1 hour old for a TD to 3-5 hours old for a TDX or VST. Tracks vary in length from 400 yards to 1,000 yards. Tracking tests the precision of the working dog. Cross runners are used on the TDX test but are not present at the end of the track. The measure and success of the test is to find the articles (gloves, wallets, socks, etc.).

Trailing is a test of a dog's ability to distinguish and follow one person's scent and identify that person. The trailing tests are 4-6 hours old for a MT, 8-18 hours old for a MTI and 24-36 hours old for a MTX. The length varies from _ to _ of a mile long. Contamination is key and the MTX trail should be laid in a congested area such as in a public park or corporate center. Cross runners are used on the MTI and MTX trails and the runners are located at the end of the trail. The dog must identify the correct runner. A trailing dog can air scent, ground scent or use any other means to get from point "A" to point "B" the quickest and most efficient way possible.

The big question? Can a Bloodhound do both? Yes, but it ain't easy! In my experience, Bloodhounds CAN track and do so quite well when trained in that discipline. I think those of us who try both tracking and trailing will tell you to have the tracking aspects firmly established before you try trailing. The unspoken word is that a tracking Bloodhound can trail but the trailing Bloodhound cannot always track, although I believe cannot track should read "WILL NOT" track!

A wise person once told me to get my Bloodhound understanding "tracking" before they turned into a Bloodhound! She was right. So, give one or both a try. My greatest pleasure is seeing my dogs in harness doing what they do best! And they do love it! After all, who's in charge at the end of a 30' lead? You got it baby...the NOSE with the dog attached!

As you can see everything revolves around human beings...go figure lol.

Edited by Tautriadelta

SSR Team

Meldrum on Dogs :

http://www.isubengal.com/life/in-search-of-bigfoot-1.1667290

As far as research here in the U.S., Meldrum said they are working on training search and recovery dogs to track Sasquatch.

He said one of the biggest criticisms of Sasquatch is there is no body, and the only way to get a body would be to track one down and kill it or for someone to stumble upon a body.

“Given their intelligence, this is probably going to be a very unlikely scenario,†Meldrum said.

“The next best thing would be to have a trace of that organism with DNA, and that would come from hair or feces,†he continued.

Meldrum said the dogs are generally used to identify humans and human remains, but can be trained to identify almost anything.

He said they had one of these dogs check what was suspected being Sasquatch feces, based on circumstantial evidence.

Meldrum said, “They get wind of this feces which would either be from bear or Sasquatch, because it was filled with black ants, and the dogs had a fear response to it.

“This is a very unusual response because those same dogs would walk by bear feces with no response.â€

“This enthused one of the handlers, and she has agreed to train a dog to great ape hair and tissue with the presumption that Sasquatch falls close to the variation of gorillas, chimps and apes,†Meldrum continued.

“Once we have a dog that is at hand, if fresh footprints are found within about 12 hours, we can take the dogs to the site and imprint them with the scent, presuming the tracks are authentic.â€

Meldrum said, “I’m not just about collecting footprints; we’re also approaching this as a question of wildlife biology. What is this creature’s role in the biological community?â€