Can somebody please corroborate or disprove the Bigfoot Nests that I found.

FelixTheCat

1 hour ago, FelixTheCat said:

This is where I call the line.  Humans think that they know what a nest should look like.  Nothing could be farther from the truth. 

Do you tell a bee that he made the hive wrong?  Do you tell an ant that he didn't do it right? Do you tell a beaver that he constructed

his lodge incorrectly?  Or do you observe, and witness what the fauna does? 

Do you compare West Coast Nests against East Coast Nests and arbitrarily decide that west coast nests are the only ones that are real?

Or, do you observer what is in nature, and without preconditions, try to understand what is occurring?

These nests were created by an hitherto unknown species, and they are not imperfect, but they are exactly what the unknown species

wants them to be.

My challenge still exists.

Show me what other creatures could make these nests.

Please search the northeast and corroborate this information!

We already did. The creatures are called humans. 

8 hours ago, FelixTheCat said:

My challenge still exists.

Show me what other creatures could make these nests.

The problem I see with your challenge is you are implying these are nests.

I watched your videos a couple times and saw nothing that would be a nest, only windfall and/or weather caused branch fall if you'd rather. Here in the rainey/stormy NW we see that all over. Nothing to raise an eyebrow. 

Your west coast, east coast nest argument is not apples to oranges. The two nests I showed as examples are very different in their make-up, but similar in their build. And both of those are different in make-up to the Olympic project nest, but again are similar in build.

Primatologists who looked at the Olympic project nests said they looked like primate nests they've seen in Africa. Not the same materials, but the same basic build/design. 

I want to give you the benefit of any doubt, but can't until you can show a nest, not branches scattered around under some trees.

well, heres my two cents for what its worth since i actually do a lot of work with eastern hemlock. the hemlock family is  a self shedding family. meaning that once a set of limbs are no longer needed or they become obsolete they drop the limb so they can are not using nutrients to keep a limb alive that's not producing energy. this leads to a heavy build up of limbs under and around the canopy of the hemlock. also, because they self shed they generally have weak attachments at the trunk, so when another tree falls and glances it you may as well hit those limbs with a chainsaw. this can give the appearance of bedding, and it often used as such by deer. the hemlock sheds are often quite brittle and would make poor nesting material as they would just snap and break when trying to manipulate them. 

in the videos i see storm damage, a lot of natural shedding, but nothing like a nest so to speak. keep searching, you in the woods that's more than most the folks arguing on FB threads can say! and a bad day in the woods is better than a week in front of a computer screen. 

also, those hemlocks are looking pretty good. any chance if you know if the HWA ( hemlock wooly adelgid) has hit up your way or not? they look like little white to grey puff balls right at the base of the needle.

I doubt you can realistically call them "Bigfoot nests", Stick structures maybe and like 99% of all "evidence" it likely will fall right in the inconclusive zone.

17 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

The problem I see with your challenge is you are implying these are nests.

I watched your videos a couple times and saw nothing that would be a nest, only windfall and/or weather caused branch fall if you'd rather. Here in the rainey/stormy NW we see that all over. Nothing to raise an eyebrow. 

Your west coast, east coast nest argument is not apples to oranges. The two nests I showed as examples are very different in their make-up, but similar in their build. And both of those are different in make-up to the Olympic project nest, but again are similar in build.

Primatologists who looked at the Olympic project nests said they looked like primate nests they've seen in Africa. Not the same materials, but the same basic build/design. 

I want to give you the benefit of any doubt, but can't until you can show a nest, not branches scattered around under some trees.

Listen very carefully.  There are thousands of Eastern Hemlocks in this forest and only a few have twigs which are snapped off and laid underneath, like a thin mat of twigs.

This is not storm damage.  These few trees are in strategic points, and always near when I have had interactions with an unknown forest intelligence.

My challenge is simple,  I need independent corroboration which would be really easy to do.  

How many people on this forum are in the northeast?  And how many of those people actually go out into the forest?

I could easily locate these nests in other areas of northern MA or southern NH or southern VT, but then you guys

would just claim that I was making these.

Your idea of what a nest should look like, has no bearing on what the creator of these nests had in mind.

It amazes me that people think they know everything, but in reality, we know next to nothing.

Keep an open mind.

15 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

well, heres my two cents for what its worth since i actually do a lot of work with eastern hemlock. the hemlock family is  a self shedding family. meaning that once a set of limbs are no longer needed or they become obsolete they drop the limb so they can are not using nutrients to keep a limb alive that's not producing energy. this leads to a heavy build up of limbs under and around the canopy of the hemlock. also, because they self shed they generally have weak attachments at the trunk, so when another tree falls and glances it you may as well hit those limbs with a chainsaw. this can give the appearance of bedding, and it often used as such by deer. the hemlock sheds are often quite brittle and would make poor nesting material as they would just snap and break when trying to manipulate them. 

in the videos i see storm damage, a lot of natural shedding, but nothing like a nest so to speak. keep searching, you in the woods that's more than most the folks arguing on FB threads can say! and a bad day in the woods is better than a week in front of a computer screen. 

I appreciate your comment but this is not shedding.  Are you going to tell me that with thousands of trees, only a few in the forest in strategic locations, will exhibit this phenomenon?  The twigs underneath, did not die and fall off, they were broken off and placed there.  No sir, along with the green floor, these certain trees are in locations where

I have had experiences of wood knocks, thumps, sticks breaking, rock throwing, vocals, chest thumping?, rock clacking.  I am in season 11 of tracking them.

I am just asking for independent confirmation, or show me an animal that makes such nests.

These are nests of some sort, no doubt about it.  We will have to agree to disagree.

15 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

also, those hemlocks are looking pretty good. any chance if you know if the HWA ( hemlock wooly adelgid) has hit up your way or not? they look like little white to grey puff balls right at the base of the needle.

Well, I haven't seen that, and after a quick internet search, I'm fairly confident that I would have noticed that. 

I'll make a conscious effort to look for those puff balls next time.

Thanks for commenting.

8 hours ago, zeebob889 said:

I doubt you can realistically call them "Bigfoot nests", Stick structures maybe and like 99% of all "evidence" it likely will fall right in the inconclusive zone.

Its only going to fall into the inconclusive zone, if I don't get independent verification.

Is there anyone else in the Northeast, that regularly visits the forest and can help in the search?

Admin
17 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

I watched your videos a couple times and saw nothing that would be a nest

I agree. Below are screenshots from the videos. There are no nests.

felix1.PNG

felix3.PNG

felix4.PNG

felix5.PNG

On 4/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, Catmandoo said:

I briefly looked through this thread. I may have missed some details of nest investigations. You did not post about checking for hair / fur. Animals leave hair / fur and skin cells behind. Years ago I tried 2 inch wide hook and loop tape wrapped around my hand  in an attempt to check a stump that I was using. No luck.  Pet hair removal gloves come in 'knubby stroke the animal' type and a sticky glove type.  Perhaps a 'hair raising' event will occur in the future.  There is a sticky glove type that may have potential and it is cheap:

SwiPets Pet Hair Cleaning Glove   is about $4 on Amazon.  Washable and reusuable and cheap  are good selling points because they will pick up a lot of debris.

Determining hair or fur may help you.

Thanks for commenting.

Yes, I am delinquent in not searching for hair/fur/skin cells.

I'm probably not the best investigator.  But I appreciate your

suggestions about gathering evidence.

That day, that I found these nests, I had trudged about the forest

for about an hour, in a new area, and I remember thinking, that I was

an idiot and I was wasting my time searching the forest, and then I

looked to my left and there was the nest.  I was tired, and I walked right 

by it, and turned around and saw it.  Weird how things work out sometimes.

But while looking at the nests, I could hear sticks breaking to the west of the

nests.  I was thinking that they were watching me, eerie feeling, and also I was

tired, I'm 57, so I didn't stay long.  Also when you know they are watching

you, you feel a obligation not to violate their area or chase them away,

because truly, if you push them, 9 times out of 10, they will retreat, not

good for research.  1 time out of ten they push back, not good for survival.

Next time I will make a better effort at collecting evidence.

The nests are only required between the snow being all melted, and the

leaves being on the trees, once the leaves fill out the forest, the nests

won't be inhabited.

Rich

14 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I agree. Below are screenshots from the videos. There are no nests.

felix1.PNG

felix3.PNG

felix4.PNG

felix5.PNG

We will have to agree to disagree.

Admin
Just now, FelixTheCat said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

Where are the nests?

felix1.PNGfelix3.PNGfelix4.PNGfelix5.PNG

1 minute ago, gigantor said:

Where are the nests?

felix1.PNGfelix3.PNGfelix4.PNGfelix5.PNG

The nests are basically underneath certain eastern hemlocks, and are twigs laid out in a thin covering on the forest floor.

You captured screen captures that were NOT the best screen captures that you could have got.

Now, I will have to capture and show what I am talking about.

Or better yet, you or someone you trust, should come out into the forest with me before the end of April.

I could show you these, or even go to other forests and find similar nests.

But either way I will be back with proper screen captures.

Admin
23 minutes ago, FelixTheCat said:

But either way I will be back with proper screen captures.

That would be great.