Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

Hi Maggie..

Thank you for the updates and past stories, etc. I live in the Minnesota, St.Croix valley area. I have traveled extensively across both states. Mostly Wisconsin thus the south-western area Wisconsin is a beautiful area of the state where I could see an elusive creature like this roam, travel and hide easily for decades without being found. Very steep curving valleys, almost all farm land. Filled with streams, creaks and cover. Though I sincerely feel the North-Western section of Wisconsin is where their at. Regardless, the whole state has so much potential it's staggering..

Guest Maggie

Hi St. Croix! I agree that Wisconsin is also a very good area for Sas.:) I have never been to northern WI but suppose it is quite like northern MN?

Nothing much has been happening here with the exception of hearing something bipedal walking on the weekends I have been out to my parents house.

BUT if I look outside. Nothing. And no footprints either. A bit puzzling. Maybe its haunted or something. (well, actually I have always thought it was from a whole different set of experiences growing up out there and visiting as an adult. But those are different stories for different places! :))

Oh please don't take the mystery out of Northern Minn. for me!! I've been to northern wisconsin and had high hopes for MN. :D :D :D

BTW northern wisconsin is beautiful...I just haven't gotten to NM yet!

• 1 month later...

Another part of our area is the upper part of the St.Crolx river above Stillwater to Scandia and further. I used to live in the small town of Marne on St.Croix which is about half way up.There are many sections of this river where there are many many small islands that break up the river between Minnesota and Wisconsin. Excellent to hide within. Lots of fish for food. The water depth in these areas are at times very shallow, perfect for animals to wade across from border to border. There have been reportings in these areas thus I hope to explore these stretches of the St.Croix with a kayak.

Hey St Croix, I've always thought that area would be an excellent environment for BF encounters. On the old forum, I posted an encounter some friends had on one of the islands. I'll try to sum it up again.

It was a fishing trip I was to go on also, but couldn't at the last minute, so someone else went in my place. There were three guys total. I think this was further north closer to Pine City, Minn.

They boated out to an island and fished off shore all morning. Through out the day, they could hear rustling and crashing noises in the brush behind them, but attributed it to a small deer herd that must have been trapped on the island after ice out. Later that night they built a campfire and cooked supper. As they sat around talking, when ever anyone laughed or said something louder than normal, they could hear it mimicked from the other side of the brush. After awhile this turned into a verbal exchange.

They thought maybe some partyers were camped on the other side of the narrow island seperated by the brush. He said it wasn't really that far away. The shouts seemed to be getting roudier, and they assumed the other party were drunk. They could still hear movement in the brush, which if it was deer seemed odd, that they would stick around during all the comotion. My friend said they thought it might be the drunks sneaking around possibly to start a fight.

They also noticed that as their yells were being copyied, the words were incomplete, like some of the ends of the words were missing. This is what initially lead them to think of drunks, but as they heard more of it, he said it almost sounded retarded, and not like it was really meant as a taunt. This made the group of fishermen a little uneasy. They gathered more firewood, to make sure they had enough for the night.

Throughout the night they said it sounded like something was making a rush for their camp through the brush, like bluff charges. And later small rocks began to be thrown into their firelight at them. They wanted to leave, but couldn't, due to the number of boulders in the river that made night boating suicidal.

They ended up staying awake all night sitting back to back around the fire keeping watch. And left at first light.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... great story! In knowing those islands to some degree, I doubt any drunks would be spending any time in that area.. So it leads more to lend itself to something else in the background making all that noise. Why I feel it would not be a drunk is it's too far from any town to use as a hiding place. Too little food and or ability to get more booze to feed the need.. Very interesting story.. Looking forward to working that area to see what may come alone..

Thanks!

St.Croix

Guest vilnoori

That is a great story, and more evidence that sasquatches have an excellent gift of mimicry and the potential for language. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Again.. as I live near the St.Croix river in Minnesota, I remember when I was little hearing my dad tell stories of how Cougars or Mountain Lions would mimic the sound of a baby crying to attract it's prey. It's interesting that the area where he talks of hearing such sounds are within a section along the St.Croix river where class-B reports have been reported. These stories came from when my dad and his buddies were in their late teen's (late 50's), whom all of them also lived on or almost directly on the St.Croix river, where they hunted and camped along the banks of this river. When my dad and his buddies would hear this sound, which was mostly at night, they new to stay clear of that area of the river. This section along the St.Croix is now somewhat, though back then was all farming land, where the boy's metaphoric sand boxes were the fields, woods and the river, with that my dad new the outdoors and the wild life in that area very well. Though he didn't hear this sound often, but when he did, it really spooked him. He even talked of nights when his bedroom windows were open, while trying to fall asleep, he would occasionally hear this sound coming from a long distance away. As I hear/read of bigfoot reports retell the different array of sounds being heard, as well as the strange coincidental sound or mimicking of a baby crying, I think of my dad's stories which sends shivers down my back.. To this day I sincerely wonder what animal actually made the sounds my dad used to talk about.

As I hate to lead-on the idea that this sound IS from our elusive friend, the fact is who knows... But It sure gets my hackles standing strait up just thinking about my dad's stories, of which I would hate to not share with all of you..

-Ron

aka: St.Croix

Edited by St.Croix

Howdy St. Croix,

I for one would definately like to hear those stories. I used to love hangin around the St. Croix river, as a teenager. We used to camp and fish evrywhere we could, on it. We practically lived there. It was still pretty wild and wooly back then. I haven't been there in yrs. now, so I suppose it's been tamed quite abit. I generally liked the Wisc. side a little better.

Later, Mesabe

Hey Mesabe..

Love hearing that you used to live in my area when you were young. I currently live in Stillwater. I also lived in Marine On St.Croix for a short time (small town 15min north of Stillwater). During my high school years and few years there after, I spent a great deal of time camping on the islands between the Boom Site section above Stillwater up to William O'Brien State Park near Marine On St.Croix. As I spent the majority of my later teen years with my buddies and friends on these islands, we found the islands to be a great place to do our camping, partying, etc, enabling us to be far away from the density of town where parents, police, or anyone else for that matter could hear or find us period. Because we were on land/islands between two States, jurisdiction wise, the DNR warden was the only type of authority whom patrolled the area. Over time we all got to know him pretty well, where essentially he periodically lectured us in keeping our fires in control, pick up our trash and occasionally threatening to confiscate our beer if we didn't keep it down. That was it..

To get back to the topic at hand. As there are a large number of islands between upper Stillwater Mn, up to Osceola, WI, and many there after, I sincerely feel these islands/sections could be fantastic locations for Bigfoot to exist. These islands are scattered for miles up the river, each sizing from small to very large. Because they are on a section(s) of the St.Croix river where the water depth is relatively shallow, except for a few months in the summer, causes boat traffic to be fairly light. Boaters hate bottoming-out and getting stuck, as well destroying their expensive prop's on the bottom of the river. A number of people do canoe and/or kayak down this section(s), where very few of those people actually paddle thru or amongst the islands. Most people typically paddle down the main channel of the river as they float from Osceola down to Stillwater. As Bigfoot is speculated to utilize rivers and streams as navigation paths, the number of islands in this area would provide excellent cover as well ability to quickly hide from any passing eyes/traffic. This section also wealth-fully supports the three main aspects of survival quite well. That is "food, water & shelter". As fish would be one of the obvious food sources available, there are also quite a few deer on these islands as well. The shallowness of the water within these sections enables lots of different wild life to live and wade across to the islands from (only) the Wisconsin shorelines. During the summer months, because of the tree/leaf density on the islands, which separate the Minnesota and Wisconsin shorelines, sounds do get trapped within the island(s) canopy, where sounds of activities of oneself can be muffled or more importantly are very difficult to determine where the sound(s) are actually coming from. During the late fall to winter when the trees are empty of leaves, sounds can carry a fair distance up and down the river. Both situations regarding sounds are supported by the relatively tall and sometimes vertical canyon wall type shorelines on both sides all the way up for roughly 20plus miles. This canyon wall type geography on both sides of the river also beautifully controls people from accessing the river directly. As access points along the river are far and few to public, to do a quick/surprise entry anywhere along this stretch is difficult to impossible. When on the islands, because of the canyon type walls on both sides, you can clearly hear anyone working to access the river. In addition, speaking from experience, accessing these sections of the river at night can be, to say the least, interesting to dangerous.. And yes, when navigating thru the many narrow channels of water within the islands, you occasionally find yourself visually scanning around as if you're being watched. Sometimes it can be the most peaceful place as you glide silently thru the water, other times it's down right edgy, again, as if you're not alone... And it's always spooky at night.. As sounds of nature are just enough different in this area, you tend to stay close to the fire, drink your beer and focus on the laughter...

I agree.. I also like the Wisconsin side better. I also think Wisconsin is a great state towards researching and potentially finding our elusive friend. Particularly north central-eastern Wisconsin. That's another topic for another day..

If your not already aware of this podcast by Squatchcast, Inc, which can be found in iTunes/podcast area, as well BlogtalkRadio, of a witness interview from a man recounting a number of personal sightings he's had while living near the St.Croix river. I pasted a link to their Blogtalk radio show site where you can play this episode. Or better yet, click on the iTunes icon/link on their BlogtalkRadio page which will launch iTunes bringing you to there Squatchcast podcast page where you can download this and all there show episodes. Hope you and anyone else enjoys it.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/squatchcastradio/2009/06/10/squatchcast-radio-presents-witness-interview-with-geo

Best regards,

-Ron

Thanks for the link Ron.

In the search space type: squatchinc (in the episode for 3/22 I'm Rick.)

It was a lot of fun working with those guys, that interview is pretty close to the history of my encounters with the hairy ones. Of course nothing was proven, and we did gather some evidence, but all circumstantial. There were a few incidents that were left out as they were remembered later, or brought to our attetion after the fact.

I hope to get back to the river at least once this summer, maybe do a little island hopping too.

TTYL Rick (mesabe)

Guest Maggie

Hi all, havent been on here in a while because just nothing to report until last night. So planned on logging in today. I was pleased to see St. Croix and mesabes posts!:) St Croix is a great area and I feel has lots of possibilities. I may or may not have posted my youngest daughters "could be" experience when we were staying in the lodges at a St. Croix park. I will have to go through my posts and see.

About last night. Nothing terribly signifigant BUT it all ties in with what has happened around here before. In this thread (or maybe in the old archives), I mentioned being very frightened one night by an animal outside the house. The smell, the stalking around the building etc. And not being able to explain really WHY I was so terrified. :unsure:

Anyway. Last night around 1 pm (same time as previously), I woke up to the same smell and same feeling of terror. My youngest son(age 22) has been staying here and was sleeping downstairs. Easily within shouting distance. I couldnt make a noise or move to save my life probably for about 15 minutes. Until it disapated(sp?). I DIDNT hear or see anything. Only the smell and feeling like cowering prey. I HATE that because though I am cautious, experiencing that overwhelming sensation is totally out of character.:(

After it passed, I did get out of bed and went out onto the porch to see what I could see...or smell...or hear....but nothing. Not even a remnant of the smell.

I asked my son this morning if he had heard or smelled anything but he had not.

Last night was mild with a bit of a breeze and kind of cloudy.

Oh, the only other time I remember smelling this particular odor THAT strongly was a few years ago when my youngest daughter was living here (after the first incident, in the first incident she had been gone to summer camp.) Around 1 am (AGAIN) she woke me up complaining of the smell. However, at that time, there was no fear, just wanting to gag because the odor was so strong. The first time it was around for about 4 hours, the second time, if I recall right, not for very long and last night, 15 minutes from the time I woke up. However, I dont know how long it was around before I awakened.

I also remember the first time, my aunt, who lives on a farm just down the road from me, commented on it the next day. I suppose it must have been going towards town because she experienced it earlier than I did. I will have to go back over my notes but I also believe this was around the same time she had something get most of her rabbits and fling the heavy hutches around as if they were kindling.

Edited by Maggie

Wow Maggie! good to hear from you again.

A couple questions if you don't mind.

Was anything different on the occasions you mentioned the smell, and the feelings of foreboding?

-like different activities around the homestead? barbequing, visitors, noisy kids or loud music

-did you notice any difference in your dog's attitude? I thought you had mentioned dogs in earlier posts

-was there anything around that could have attracted whatever it was? such as a full garbage can of Memorial Day leftovers, or maybe the smell of freshly mowed grass which also could mean dead frogs or snakes from the mower. IE food. I've noticed cranes & other birds attracted to mowed hay fields for the dead mice etc.

-when your aunt had that disturbance were any claw marks noticed on the rabbit hutches ? indicating a bear did it. Around here someone had all their rabbits killed by a bear passing through in the spring. But some reports mention that the cages were opened, rabbits taken, and a hand would have been required to accomplish this. I have noticed this type of activity several times with my rabbits, and attributed it to my forgetfullness. But sometimes it just seemed too suspicious.

Sorry if I asked too many questions. If you'd rather PM the answers that's fine. I also wonder, how did this get moved from the sightings section?

Mesabe

Guest Maggie

Mesabe, I was only aware this had been moved from the sightings section when masterbarber let me know it had? I guess they put the posts where they will...I hadnt been on here in quite a while and hadnt asked? (shrug) Whatever they want to do, I guess.

Different activities here. The BIG one is my youngest son moving here until he starts more college in August. This household has pretty much been all women, with occasional visits from sons for 13 years. That might do it? I cant say for certain.

We have a new dog, but I dont know how that would matter? A German Shepherd, now six months old.

We have been mowing grass every friday and also have a garden put in. Though that's not different from any other warm weather activity. Nothing in the garden is ready to harvest of course.

Dogs reaction. I dont know about the ones downstairs, at least they didnt make enough noise for me(or my son) to notice. But my little dachshund that sleeps up here was very nervous. He is usually a barker but seemed to be feeling the same fright I did. He shook but didnt make noise.

This morning the GS pup didnt want to stay outside. The rest acted normally as far as I can tell.

As mentioned, the times this has happened has been in the nightime hours, starting around 1 am...except, as I said, I dont know how long this thing was around before I woke up last night. Twice, I had the terrified feeling. Once I did not.

We have also smelled this periodically as if the odor was coming from down by the river bottoms. WAY more faint. Only the three times the stench being so bad and just knowing something was close.

In my aunts case, I dont remember her mentioning any claw marks. Just that she was surprised to find the hutches into the middle of the yard instead of behind the shed.

Oh and I think some parts were somewhat crumpled in? I guess that could indicate a bear?

I dont think it was a bear here because they are generally fairly vocal, even if they smell awful.

Nope, not too many questions!:) I sure dont have all of the answers though!

Edited by Maggie

Thanks for the quick reply Maggie. Keep us posted if any other interesting stuff happens. I just thought I'd throw out a few things to ponder & see if there is any correlation. I'm hoping for some activity in my area, it's been a couple yrs. since we had any. A mother wolf was spotted on our land last Friday, so I'm sort of leary about hiking in the woods. Take care, mesabe

• salubrious unlocked this topic