Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

We heard some rock clacks across the river 3 miles east of Alma three weeks ago (2:AM, Saturday morning). They were repeating patterns of 12.

Last time I was in the area there was nothing. That was 2 weeks ago.

• 5 months later...

Sorry I don't check back here more often, just when I have something happen that makes me wonder.

I haven't been out there this year as often as I have been previous years and what I am going to say is

second hand.

I was out at the family place and my mom looked at me and said that a couple nights before, my dad

had been to the bathroom around the same time of the early morning I had my encounter a couple years ago.

He heard something BIG stumbling over the drainpipe as it moved away from the house.

My parents are some of the worst skeptics at times so I am completely surprised she told me this.

I just wanted to add it like I do anything else that MAY have something to do with the subject matter.

Oh and I DO believe they recognize members of our family. Just a feeling I have.

Good to see you back Maggie! And I think you are right, that they have been observing your family for some time now.

I wouldn't be surprised if your folks have experienced other activity, but being skeptical, never connected the dots, to come to similar conclusions as yours.

Maybe they have returned, and more incidents will happen in time.

I have a question and maybe someone can shed some light on this. I figured this was as good a place to ask this as anywhere.

I am under NO impression that these animals/beings/what have you cannot be dangerous. In my opinion I think that likely depends on

group to group as there is such a variety of experiences with them.

So maybe that answers my questions anyway BUT we have had ongoing activity for approximately 45 years. They did have 

ample opportunity to hurt someone, was THIS particular group so inclined.

So I am curious. What would you believe are the reasons they did NOT? Were they used to us and considered us part of their

territory? Were they smart enough not to bother anything in their area? 

I would be very interested in what other people think. I have thought about it off and on but never tried to pinpoint it.

Of course maybe there are a variety of reasons?

Anyway, just me rambling.

Edited by Maggie

Good to see you back Maggie!

I think they are opportunists, but plenty smart enough to realize that hurting someone could lead to some uncomfortable times. I'm sure they have seen people hunting with guns. So around here in Minnesota, especially down by Kellog where the forest is a set of islands, I think there is no danger from them at all. I think the MO is to keep a low profile. But they apparently are still curious- there is a reason why they will approach a cabin and clack rocks!!

I did some investigation of the sounds I heard at my friend's cabin across the river near Alma. The rock clacks were coming from no more than 30 feet. They knew the cabin was occupied and that the windows were open. It really seems like it was some sort of attempt at communication. So I think curiosity plays a big role if you have a group operating nearby. BTW, it sure seems as if they are nomadic. We go down to the cabin a lot, but they are not always there.

My friend heard from a hunter of some activity that was going on in the river bottoms on the Chippewa River delta, north of Hiway 35, east of Pepin. The hunter was pretty freaked out, and said he would never go into that area again. That was about 6 years ago.

Out west or maybe way up north, where a person can easily go missing in the woods it might be different. They could have easily taken that hunter out, but didn't. 

I really recommend audio recording. ~ $200 will get you a good sensitive device that will provide hours of fascinating study, if you like that. Be very careful and protective of your location is another bit of advice, which you may not need. It sounds like a great place for them, and I'd bet that they do know your family well. Thanks for sharing some details.

I agree about the curiousity for certain and have a feeling that those might be more of the teenage variety?  Just my opinion. I have more of less come to the same conclusion that they try to keep it on the down low in this area. Whether that is because it is more populated and they are leery of humans or simply because they are more used to them, I really don't know?

I just think of how when I was growing up...then my nieces and nephews at the family place and now my little grandson....they could have snagged a kid up so easily. That alone tells me they are intelligent.

Now that does NOT mean that they wouldn't someplace else or that these could not be dangerous in certain situations.

This may get me flamed but I just don't buy the "harmless, teddy bear" thing. Too, I believe they, like us, are different from group to group.

I have heard that wood knocking is them setting up a hunt, which to could be right as when we have heard wood knocks it's in the evenings and from different directions. That might be the time to be more careful not to get into their hunting area? Common sense,lol.

Just an observation over the years.

I agree about being protective and very careful. We never left garbage out overnight, always took it out the morning of pick up or burned it. We also never tried to feed them/exchange anything. Our dogs were brought in the house or garage at night.

Good curtains/shades on the windows....doors locked whether someone is home or not (the last not so much at the family place as at mine but always locked up at night) Security lights. Okay, again, just basic common sense stuff I guess.

When I was growing up, we did have chickens for several years to be raised for butchering. It was at this time I heard the rooster imitation. I don't know if they ever got any of our chickens as I am certain my parents would have said nothing unless

it was more than a few.

Next time I get some extra money I will see what I can find as far as audio equipment. I usually just don't get much of a chance to buy anything, money goes out of here as fast as it comes in, which I am sure is like a lot of folks,lol.

I remember when I used to be of the opinion of them as gentle vegetarian giants...that opinion slowly has shifted through the years. I now think it's on a case to case basis and don't take for granted that they would or wouldn't harm anyone. Research and experiences have colored my opinions obviously.

That was just a ballpark figure on the recorder, I'm sure you could find many less $$ to choose from. I believe you can even find gently used devices. Christmas is coming!

Your attitude towards them shows a healthy respect for their ways. Keep it up and have fun with it.

Maggie, sounds to me as if you have the right idea.

I'm wondering what they do when it gets cold like its been recently. Do they hang around or move down the river? LaCrosse is in a different climate zone; 2 weeks less winter (supposedly) than we get here in the Twin Cities.

There are a ton of deer in the area- so if they are wiley food may not be that hard to find. I'm guessing that the cold itself is not a problem (a friend of mine saw one in Canada on a ridgeline at 11,000 feet at the beginning of March a few years ago, from his airplane- 11,000 feet at that time of year had to be pretty cold). But I would expect tracks and you just don't hear about that, despite the more obvious activity during other times of the year. But if they are smart they probably realize how easy it would be to track them in the snow...

Hmm. I have a couple different theories about what they do when it gets cold. Firstly, I need to say that I think the cold doesn't bother them as much as it does us. 

I agree with what you said about them moving around because out at the family place they are around more in the spring and fall. I confess I don't know why they aren't a lot in the summer

but as you say, in LaCrosse there is supposedly two weeks less of winter, so that part makes sense to me.

Unless they go further north?

Just an idea.

Someone once mentioned they thought they hibernated and though I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility, I mean, what do we REALLY know, it seems less likely than the moving around.

Ah tracks. I remember when I CLEARLY heard someone/something heavy moving bipedally around as did my mother (I am sure I mentioned the story before so won't bother anyone with the details!).

Not ONE track, so you tell me????? There was plenty of snow for tracks.

I am certain they are smart, so maybe they do something with tracks but that doesn't explain when someone has JUST seen them and gone looking for tracks and still there is nothing.

I would love to know what other people think about that.

There have been trackways found in Wisconsin and also that one up north on the Canada border a few years ago. So they *do* make tracks. I suspect that often people are just not watching/looking. The first thing you have to do of course is know that they are real. If you have troubles with that, you aren't going to make the ID so easily; I bet many tracks get missed that way. 

Funny thing, at my friend's cabin just across the river, we are more likely to get activity in the spring and summer and so far nothing later than September. But my friend spends a lot less time there in the late fall into winter, so who knows??

• salubrious unlocked this topic