Enoch

Guest Primate

Naw the story isn't a total fabrication...

It may not be "his" story, but the accounts are too vivid.

I believe he knows or came into contact with the person who's story it is and attempts to make it his own.

JohnC, that's interesting that you heard the stories before the book. So were there any differences or changes in the story that you noticed after reading it in the book? If there were noticeable changes, that would be concerning. If there were no changes it would add to the credibility, but there still is the chance that it is very well rehearsed. In the last case, I just wonder what would motivate a heavy equipment operator to spend so much time memorizing such an elaborate story. Delta, that's an interesting idea as well. I agree that the story is very vivid and elaborate, which is why I have so many questions about the origin. It just seems like Mike wouldn't be able to come up with a single story and never deviate from it if it wasn't rooted in truth somehow. Criminals make up elaborate stories to get off the hook, but are often caught because of slight deviations. Also, it was said that mike was a known hoaxer. Does this mean he was somehow caught in the act or made claims that were proven false at some point?

Edited by Kraig

JohnC, that's interesting that you heard the stories before the book.

I don't find it interesting. I find it sad.

So were there any differences or changes in the story that you noticed after reading it in the book? If there were noticeable changes, that would be concerning. If there were no changes it would add to the credibility, but there still is the chance that it is very well rehearsed.

These forum chats with "Mike" went on weekly for months. Sometimes, there were even other people in the room with us. He made no mention of the "Bigfoot jamboree" held deep in the swamp and attended by many Bigfoot. The remainder of the book, except for the parts written by Autumn, were told to me almost verbatim. I think when he did not get the "wow" factor he wanted from me. When I would not talk to him on the phone, he found someone who would. He then vanished from that forum for months.

In the last case, I just wonder what would motivate a heavy equipment operator to spend so much time memorizing such an elaborate story. Delta, that's an interesting idea as well. I agree that the story is very vivid and elaborate, which is why I have so many questions about the origin. It just seems like Mike wouldn't be able to come up with a single story and never deviate from it if it wasn't rooted in truth somehow. Criminals make up elaborate stories to get off the hook, but are often caught because of slight deviations. Also, it was said that mike was a known hoaxer. Does this mean he was somehow caught in the act or made claims that were proven false at some point?

His motivation is and was simple, attention. He has had threads on many Bigfoot forums discussing his badly done, photo shopped pictures and wild stories from the Florida swamps. He was also banned from most of those forums. If you feel there is some truth to this story, then I have no problem with that. Who am I to tell anyone what to believe?

Caveat emptor

Guest Thepattywagon

From the tidbits of information dropped by him and a few others, my guess is that is who he is referring to. If so, I don't know why it's kept under wraps.

John,

Are you talking about Creekfreak?

Giving the name or even screen name of a "witness" publicly is not a good practice for a investigator. I try to build trust with witnesses because I am one myself. It does not matter if I "believed" the witness is being truthful or not. Some do not believe my own story. Given his history,"Mike" is not worth breaking the trust that a potential witness may give me.

Guest BFSleuth

It is worth going back to read HRPuffnstuff's post laying out what can be publicly stated about the situation with swampbandit/Mike. Additional information won't be forthcoming per forum rules and guidelines. HRP did the leg work.

The question is whether you believe the story rings true and whether you think therefore that "Mike" may actually have experienced at least some of the elements of the story, or whether the story was made up "whole cloth" and he experienced none of the story. In either case, based on what we know from HRP's investigation, we know that at least some of the story is fiction. That's putting as charitable a face on it as I care to make.

The more likely scenario, based on what we know, is that the entire story is fiction. Enjoy the book as fiction.

John, what if that "witness" is a complete crackpot hoaxer? I don't think "real witnesses" are going to be reading this thread and saying "JohnC gave away the screen name of that well established hoaxer/witness so I'm definitely not going to tell him about my experience!"

Well, Enoch should know. Welcome to the forum, have we got some questions for you. :D

And that's fine but I only came on here to set that right about CF.