What Happens To The Poop?

Guest parnassus

What happens to BF feces?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

My option wasn't available in the poll. I'd like to vote Loren Coleman is the keeper of the poop. With good cause. I just saw the episode of "Mysteries at the Museum" the other day in which Loren shows off his "Yeti Poop". :lol:

All joking aside though it was interesting to hear about the unknown parasitic worm egg found in the sample. A head scratcher IMO. Chris B.

...What I found was just large 'logs' just like what a human would leave, but big. Like almost soda can diameter and a foot and a half long. Loaded full of berries, leaves, and hair. No toilet paper. Just a big turd laying there. Not loose piles like bear. Not pelleted like elk. I almost always found it directly in the middle of the road or path. Like it was left as a sign.

I think BF poo in the woods. I don't think there are tons of squeetch (plural of squatch?) so we don't see it commonly, but I think we see it more often than thought. I just think most just assume it's bear and walk on.

17x7

This. I've found what I assumed was bear scat (because there isn't anything else that would leave it), but it seemed too large. I did a little online looking and what I found was outside the norm for black bear scat. Large cylindrical scat about the size of someone's forearm.

Guest Tsalagi

This. I've found what I assumed was bear scat (because there isn't anything else that would leave it), but it seemed too large. I did a little online looking and what I found was outside the norm for black bear scat. Large cylindrical scat about the size of someone's forearm.

You got a picture?

...And to think everyone here is talking and posting poop pics. When I found some unusual poop this past summer I didn't post pics for fear of that being rude. I think maybe it was bear poop based on it being loaded with sarsaparilla seeds, but I'm not 100% sure. I found a print which I thought might be an adolescent bear but it was difficult to tell since the ground was dry and didn't allow for a good impression. The heel seemed so odd though. I don't know if I still have the pics.

Guest parnassus

I would remind the members that fecal matter is a good source of DNA. So those who claim to have found BF poop can confirm their impressions by sending a scoop to Dr. Melba Ketchum or whatever lab they feel would be likely to do a good job within, oh, a couple of years' time. Or, of course, you can just keep it in your freezer and show it to your brother in law.

Guest Biggie

I'd like to vote Loren Coleman is the keeper of the poop. With good cause. I just saw the episode of "Mysteries at the Museum" the other day in which Loren shows off his "Yeti Poop". :lol:

Keeper of the poop....I like that. Maybe he can get a new show called The Scat Whisperer.

You got a picture?

...And to think everyone here is talking and posting poop pics. When I found some unusual poop this past summer I didn't post pics for fear of that being rude. I think maybe it was bear poop based on it being loaded with sarsaparilla seeds, but I'm not 100% sure. I found a print which I thought might be an adolescent bear but it was difficult to tell since the ground was dry and didn't allow for a good impression. The heel seemed so odd though. I don't know if I still have the pics.

No pics. I was hunting mountain quail with a friend and neither of us brought a camera. We also found a tree break/twist at the end of a short skid road where we saw the scat. It was my understanding scat was not a good source of DNA parn. Can you elaborate? What makes it a good source, as opposed to a mediocre or poor source?

Guest HucksterFoot

Do you have a caliper? Big black bear scat can be about the size of a coke can. I usually see smaller though.

I say it just decomposes and vanishes into the ground, most scat is relatively fresh or not found at all. Fahrenbach says it has too be steaming fresh to get DNA. The bacteria probably kills the cells a lab would be testing for pretty quickly.

Guest HucksterFoot

Keeper of the poop....I like that. Maybe he can get a new show called The Scat Whisperer.

It reminds me of something I had made awhile back. Took me awhile to find it.

protectors_of_the_poop.jpg

Also most Bigfoots would be eating healthier natural foods unlike humans who mostly eat processed garbage. If you eat only natural foods you poop less. Same thing with cats and dogs if you put them on organic high quality food versus the supermarket brand foods they poop less. The reason for this is more of the content can be absorbed and assimilated.

This isn't really true. Cats and dogs in captivity eat food with a lot of plant based fillers that provide bulk and so their poop is bigger than a diet of raw meat which leaves a smaller stool. Organic doesn't really have anything to do with it as there is substantially little difference mass-wise between organic and inorganic. Bigfoot probably eats a lot of vegetation and so likely has large, frequent stool deposits.

Do you have a caliper? Big black bear scat can be about the size of a coke can. I usually see smaller though.

I do have a caliper, but don't take it quail hunting. I'm surprised though that black bear scat can be the size of a Coke can. It was my understanding that a Coke can is >2.5" diameter. It was also my understanding brown bear scat might be that size, but that black bear scat was closer to <1.75" diameter. Can you refer me to a source for where scat size of >2.5 has been attributed to a black bear? Thanks.

... It was my understanding scat was not a good source of DNA parn. Can you elaborate? What makes it a good source, as opposed to a mediocre or poor source?

Parnassus, can you address this, maybe provide a couple good references?

Parnassus, can you address this, maybe provide a couple good references?

http://sciencetrio.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/divining-the-secrets-of-scat/

Freshness seems to be important. The fresher the better but I didn't find any absolutes on timing.

http://alamas.ru/eng/publicat/Save_scat_e.htm

This site explains two methods for preserving scat samples for analysis. Thought I'd post it for anyone thinking of scatting. -_-

http://chronicle.com/article/Paleontologys-No-2-Expert/65128/

this site suggests that DNA can be garnered from very old dung as well.

Thanks, that was kind of my thought. Scat is a poor provider of DNA compared to some others. 36 hours, intestinal mucus, etc. Contamination, getting additional variables that are not DNA from the source animal seem to be higher with scat then some others.

Ptomely of poop alliteration! Positively perfect!

Holy sh*t.

Who was the author of that pile?

Edited by OregonMan