What Happens To The Poop?

Guest parnassus

What happens to BF feces?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest parnassus

Besides the absence of bigfoot poop, there seems to be very little evidence that Bigfoot eats. Large animals spend much of their time eating.

Guest HucksterFoot

Besides the absence of bigfoot poop, there seems to be very little evidence that Bigfoot eats. Large animals spend much of their time eating.

Certainly goes through a lot of trouble to get at apples in the mud.

...... Large animals spend much of their time eating.

Huh?

Large herbivores do, certainly. Elephants, for example, eat for around 18 hours a day.

However, large carnivores certainly don't. Lions eat roughly every 3 days, for an hour or two. Crocodiles (and at up to 6m in length they are big by any definition) can eat as little as once a year. Polar bears go for more than a week after eating a seal.

Mike

Huh?

Large herbivores do, certainly. Elephants, for example, eat for around 18 hours a day.

However, large carnivores certainly don't. Lions eat roughly every 3 days, for an hour or two. Crocodiles (and at up to 6m in length they are big by any definition) can eat as little as once a year. Polar bears go for more than a week after eating a seal.

Mike

I agree, a large omnivore or carnivore won't eat continuously like elephants. Cattle don't eat all day though and they are big. Of course they have a specialized digestive tract for processing grass. I think it is reasonable to assume BF includes a fair amount of meat in its diet. Chimpanzees eat mostly fruits with some meat and they don't eat all day long either. A mixed strategy is the minimum I think for BF. Accounts of BF eating vegetation are common.

Have you been in some of the larger primates natural habitat Mike? Sounds like you might have, I am wondering how much scat you see in area's like that with good known populations of primates? Where do you see it?

Edited by JohnC

Yes John. I've seen western lowland gorillas, from a distance, in Zaiire (as was), and chimps in Tanzania and northern Zambia. Baboons and all sorts of monkeys everywhere, of course. The thing with any scat in Africa is that something starts breaking it up almost as soon as it hits the ground. Dung beetles, flies, ants, even, with some herbivores, youngsters of the same species. It rarely recognisably lasts more than 3 or 4 days except in really arid regions. Even there the efficiency is quite amazing. Let's see if I can phrase this delicately..........

Once in Namibia in a very dry arid area, I nipped behind the nearest rock, with a shovel in hand to bury what I was about to do. I did what I needed to do, and before I had finished doing up my trousers, a dung beetle flew in from goodness knows where (and it was HUGE). Within 30 seconds it had chopped up a golf ball sized piece and started off rolling it to where it wanted to go. I followed it for about 50 yards, I guess, before it stopped and dug a big hole, then rolled the dung ball down into it and buried it. They then proceed to lay their eggs in the stuff, but obviously I couldn't see that happen. I went back to bury the remnants, and in the 10 minutes whilst I'd followed the first beetle, all the rest had been dealt with by others. There was nothing left for me to bury except the toilet paper.

Now, I don't know American ecology at all, but I'd be surprised if something like didn't happen in some way, which is why I am surprised that people expect to find great lumps of sasquatch excreta all over the woods.

Apologies for the graphic nature of this post!

Mike

Edited by MikeG

BFF Patron

Now if a behaviorist could just transplant one of those suckers and perform some discriminative learning tasking to allow them to go only for Sasquatch dung in N.A. and then through a process of successive approximation train them to roll the delicate brown balls into some form of portable media that is like a large version of the "ant farm", lol. Hey, dna could keep us from pursuing this with grant money......we hope. laugh.gif

Yes John. I've seen western lowland gorillas, from a distance, in Zaiire (as was), and chimps in Tanzania and northern Zambia. Baboons and all sorts of monkeys everywhere, of course. The thing with any scat in Africa is that something starts breaking it up almost as soon as it hits the ground. Dung beetles, flies, ants, even, with some herbivores, youngsters of the same species. It rarely recognisably lasts more than 3 or 4 days except in really arid regions. Even there the efficiency is quite amazing. Let's see if I can phrase this delicately..........

Once in Namibia in a very dry arid area, I nipped behind the nearest rock, with a shovel in hand to bury what I was about to do. I did what I needed to do, and before I had finished doing up my trousers, a dung beetle flew in from goodness knows where (and it was HUGE). Within 30 seconds it had chopped up a golf ball sized piece and started off rolling it to where it wanted to go. I followed it for about 50 yards, I guess, before it stopped and dug a big hole, then rolled the dung ball down into it and buried it. They then proceed to lay their eggs in the stuff, but obviously I couldn't see that happen. I went back to bury the remnants, and in the 10 minutes whilst I'd followed the first beetle, all the rest had been dealt with by others. There was nothing left for me to bury except the toilet paper.

Now, I don't know American ecology at all, but I'd be surprised if something like didn't happen in some way, which is why I am surprised that people expect to find great lumps of sasquatch excreta all over the woods.

Apologies for the graphic nature of this post!

Mike

This is a great example of how to describe a delicate situation that fits perfectly within the BFF rules and keeps this place 'family friendly' in my opinion and rightly so. +1 from me, well done Mike.

Slugs... No joke people. No mystery... Not as plentiful as other animals, mistaken identities, dissolves in rain rich country, probably defecates not unlike humans by squatting or sitting and thus hidden from cursory area walk throughs.

Guest HucksterFoot

People come across animal excrement, so why should Bigfoot be any different? It just comes down to what animal you can attribute it to.

I am still seeing coyote deposition from three weeks ago; though, degraded. It does eventually break down completely; depends on the environment/field conditions.

Poop is readily accessible. The land of the poop, and you can step in it. :]

DominantSpecies-1.jpg

I'm not sure dung beetles actually go after carnivore dung. If BF is carnivorous the poop would probably take longer to break down as most animals won't touch it. Herbivore dung is often eaten by other animals as there is often some undigested material. Foxes and coyotes both come to mind eating herbivore dung. Canine and feline dung lasts for weeks in my neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen video of gorillas collecting and eating their own dung. There was a lot of undigested vegetation in the dung (still green). By contrast the bigfoot dung was undistinguishable from human other than by its size and volume.