Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

13 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Sad news....even though my Rhodesian Ridgeback hasn't been able to hike for several years, he passed at 17 the other day. He was truly the enforcer out with me in the woods and taught Lulu how to watch my back from the critters I don't want to run in to. I need to get a pistol or another dog, cause now I am running across those animals I would rarely see before, manly coyotes, pigs & cougars.....more worried about the cats for sure.

Sorry, to hear about your dog Bigtex. I really know how it is to lose a partner or companion, like a dog. I just had to put down two of my dogs this year. I just could not let them suffer. I was always hoping that they would die peaceful in my home. Yes, they can put you in tears. They are a part of your family. So, give it time and one will cross your path. You will know.

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my best friend 9 years ago, I still cry went I think about him. 

Thanks guys, really appreciate your posts....Duncan had a heck of a life doing his thing in the woods, I will cherish the memories! 

• Upvote 1

@Bigtex, sorry to hear about Duncan's passing. Our pets are our family, full stop. Sorry that you will no longer have him by your side as you are out in the woods. Be extra careful out there, friend. And may you find the perfect pet addition to your family when the time is right.

Thanks for the kind words.....don't think I'll be getting another dog though, looking for a pistol instead. I hike very quietly, and have been walking up on critters that my pups would normally clear out for me, the other day a cougar's den with cub, momma kitty was close to jumping me for sure, NOT a good situation!

Finally getting a little rain, the woods are green, and the Sotol tender, some discards along the trail, notice the dark spots where something grabbed & bruised the tender leaves.

AS1.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Thanks for the kind words.....don't think I'll be getting another dog though, looking for a pistol instead. I hike very quietly, and have been walking up on critters that my pups would normally clear out for me, the other day a cougar's den with cub, momma kitty was close to jumping me for sure, NOT a good situation!

I am really, really liking my Glock 20. It fits my gigantic mitts perfectly, and packs a lot of "be good" enforcement. The kick isn't too bad. In fact I know someone with a recently broken wrist who has shot it. ;) 

I'm always amazed at your finds. The sotol snacks are very interesting. I can't think of anything else that would pull them, carry them off the way they do, and discard them with the bruising like that. 

Thanks NW....I like the Glock 20, going to take a look at one of those this weekend! Yep, love finding the Sotol discards, lots of info there....has to be the Hairyman IMO just because of the shear number I have found over the years, the remoteness, and the bruising & teeth scrapes found on the leaves. Here's a nice neat pile of discards, what animal would do this and lay them out so neatly, hmmm?

AS4.jpg

• Upvote 1

I imagine not one of the sotol leaves has been cut, right? If something laid them out as in that photo, then someone or something was likely sitting down there. Look for butt-prints. I looked up sotol, and found that the plants are edible. The hearts and the bases of the leaf bracts, specifically. But to get to them is difficult, as the leaves are very sharp. If it were humans, I would think a evidence of knife use would be found. And they are tastier when cooked or roasted. No campfires around? Might be your "friend". Are you able to ascertain tooth width from them? Most likely the incisors, I would think. 

Admin

The leaf on the right has a pretty straight edge.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:56 AM, gigantor said:

The leaf on the right has a pretty straight edge.

It does. @Bigtex, are these all just torn off? Sotol is pretty pointy, I know that much. But is it also sharp edged?

I’m not seeing this at all, zoom in, can’t imagine someone cutting one of these in nowhere’sville…..just makes no sense, has anyone out there ever handled this stuff?

"has anyone out there ever handled this stuff?"

I can only speak for myself. I have not. I have handled yucca, and agave (century plants) before though, and I know how brutal they can be. I imagine sotol has sharp edges in addition to the pointed end. But the only reason I ask is I was wondering if anyone is travelling through that wilderness and maybe using that plant as a provision extender of sorts. According to what I have read, the ancients did. But I would think they would be cooked and you'd find a whole stack of them at once, and signs of plants that have been cut with a knife.  Have you seen the plants these discards come from? Are they just torn off? I admit it is fascinating.

I've read that the root was a staple food of Native Americans, but only after many hours in an earthen oven to remove the tannin's. The white inner part of the leaf is tender, and care must be used tp scrap off the white meat with your teeth or it will break and look "cut", anyone who has eaten artichokes, especially as you get into the inner more tender leaves, knows what I mean.

• Upvote 1

I hiked to one of the water sources that has some Cattails......if you look in the water on the first pic, there's a darker area underwater where a few Cattails were pulled up, and some of the smaller pieces are floating on the surface. Also is some disturbance on the sandy area leading down to the water, with 2 marginal prints, but the area got hit with some rain and is a bit washed out, but posted them anyway.

AP1.jpg

AP2.jpg

AP4.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic