Most Respected Researcher?

How did researching BF become a "sport" ?

Hunters and fishermen are commonly referred to as sportsmen. Hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping supplies are bought by many at sporting goods stores. The oldest definition of "sport" is anything humans find entertaining or amusing. Thus, referring to a bigfoot hunt as sport is entirely appropriate.

Jonathan Poulsen,

By the sounds of it, I'm guessin' you've never had the pleasure of chit-chatin' with either John or Rene ? Just guessin'. John has always been more than patient, kind an always willin' to share info. an help if he can, my hats off to the man. When Rene got sick an writin' letters was a bit of a chore, he called me up on the phone to respond to questions in a letter I'd sent, you could imagine my surprise. We talked a few times on the phone, never once was he foul-mouthed, nor short tempered. I still chit-chat via emails with Peter every now an again. I did write Grover once, never did hear back from him. Just my two cents, but I don't agree with your opinions of John an Rene, just my opinion.

Pat...

I s'pose yur correct. Nice.

• 1 year later...

Peter Byrne is defiantly at the top of my list. Especially since his book, The Search For Bigfoot, was my first real BF book. Additionally, back in the 70' when he started The Bigfoot Information Center in The Dalles Oregon, I subscribed to The Bigfoot News. A monthly newsletter. Grover Krantz, of course, for his scientific aspect of research and lending credibility to the field. Robert Morgan because he really "gets" it. John Green and Rene Dahinden for all the hours they spent investigating and devoting a large part of their lives to it.

Guitarman- Yeah, that was a great monthly. I subscribed to it and it had a lot of interesting reads. I called and talked to a lady about the kill-no kill opinion in that day and at that time they were of the opinion that they would need a type specimen but not nessesarily kill one. If I remember correctly Peter was of the ! for type specimen but has changed to no-kill, if I remember correctly.

Guitarman- Yeah, that was a great monthly. I subscribed to it and it had a lot of interesting reads. I called and talked to a lady about the kill-no kill opinion in that day and at that time they were of the opinion that they would need a type specimen but not nessesarily kill one. If I remember correctly Peter was of the ! for type specimen but has changed to no-kill, if I remember correctly.

You are correct. Peter is in the "no kill" camp now. I really wish I had all my issues of the BF News. I lost them somewhere in a move, years ago. Sad.

I think Derek Randles is the most respected researcher. I dont know all of the researchers of course, but during the research period of my Bigfoot career, when I knew no one nor anything about anyone in the field other than Mr. Freezer Hoaxer Rick Dyer, and Dr. Meldrum from his appearances on T.V, I read everyone blog, monitored every forum, and any other source of information on the subject that I could find. which is a whole bunch of reading lol. For many months before I joined this forum I read. And Read. the one constant throughout the different forums and blog was the honesty and respect of Mr. Randles. In some cases his standards regarding the truth were even held up as some sort of a character flaw by some who obviously felt it foolish to let small details such as truth interfere with the acquisition of money from the less informed members of the Bigfoot community. So Derek gets my vote. His reputation truly did precede him in my journey into Sasquatchery.

Peter Byrne is defiantly at the top of my list. Especially since his book, The Search For Bigfoot, was my first real BF book. Additionally, back in the 70' when he started The Bigfoot Information Center in The Dalles Oregon, I subscribed to The Bigfoot News. A monthly newsletter. Grover Krantz, of course, for his scientific aspect of research and lending credibility to the field. Robert Morgan because he really "gets" it. John Green and Rene Dahinden for all the hours they spent investigating and devoting a large part of their lives to it.

Guitarman, Just a heads up since you like Peter, he has a new book comin' out pretty soon. He was hopin' for a Dec. release but...later always seems ta be the case. New nook is called The Monster Trilogy Guidebook, Hancock House Publishers is where ya can find out more. Myself, I'm lookin' forward to it. :) Pat...

I would have to say Matt, Cliff and BoBo (and the skeptic Rene) they have brought the topic main stream, more people are tuned into the subject via a simple TV show.