Most Respected Researcher?

I'm going to vote for the ones who have commiserated the most with me about my situation and that would be Bigtex, Stan Courtney, Bipedalist, and Knuck. I've used all of their suggestions in an ongoing process, so far no luck, but it helps in ruling out what things aren't.

The Bigfoot researcher that I would respect the most would be the one that produces a body of Bigfoot or significant portion of one, clear footage of good provenance, or matching unknown ape DNA samples confirmed by multiple labs with good working records. That's reasonable and not very strict considering scientific standards and something we have for evey living known mammal.

My favourite Bigfoot researchers would have to be John Green for getting me into the subject, and Peter Byrne for all his efforts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-bD_Kjor8&feature=related

Ande Robert Morgan for his efforts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-bD_Kjor8&feature=related

Guest parnassus

Ray Wallace, beyond any doubt, the man most responsible for the entire bigfoot phenomenon. Without Ray, there is no John Green, no Ivan Sanderson, no Roger Patterson. Ray was a pioneer in all aspects of bigfootery with the exception of book-writing. He pioneered trackmaking, legend making, media manipulation, sound recordings, film, souvenir selling, and all-around fakery and rascally behavior.

2zzrm1l.jpg

He created the industry.

Parnassus, so your saying the entire thing including the sightings and the tracks and everything regarding bigfoot is a hoax created by Ray Wallace.

Why do people do this so much in Bigfootery?

strawman1.jpg

Parn is not saying Ray was responsible for every claim of Bigfoot. He's saying Ray is responsible for starting the modern Bigfoot phenomenon. He's correct...

Bigwallace33.gif

Bigwallace34.gif

The man had help in publicizing his hoaxing. He was collaborating with Times-Standard managing editor Laurence "Scoop" Beal to bring attention and people to the area and increase publicity...

Bigscoop.gif

Come on down to Eureka and see the friendly Bigfoots! Bring the family! Spend money! Buy a newspaper and read all about it!

Buhs_fig12.jpeg

Never seen that anywhere before, right? Right...

1.1218889980.the-sign-outside-the-tourist-shop.jpg

Ray Wallace was a legend and one of the greatest Bigfoot researhcers ever. Just ask David Paulides...

http://www.nabigfoot...Raywallace.html

That would be the guy Bigfooters are sitting on the edge of their seats hoping Bigfoot DNA comes from. Yes, seriously. You could not hire a team of writers and come up with finer comedy than that, and the best part is it's not a joke.

Welcome to Bigfootery.

Edited by kitakaze

Guest FuriousGeorge

So we have Ray Wallace......

post-122-0-78919400-1330494521_thumb.jpg

....and we have this guy.....

post-122-0-18972200-1330494569_thumb.jpg

....and the most famous straw man was Ray Wallace Bolger...

post-122-0-45657100-1330494672.jpg

It could only mean one thing.

I'm really bored.

• Upvote 2

John Green and Ivan Sanderson sure documented quite a bit of BF info before the age of Internet.

Sanderson was equal parts Steve Zissou and hoaxer himself. Did he make the fake material himself? No, but he promoted what he knew to be a hoax as real in order to sell books. As far as I'm concerned, not having done it himself is academic when he's promoting belief in what he knows to be fraudulent...

Proven hoax...

Bigmim.jpg

Mysteries are fun, proven hoaxes are not. Deny the hoax and keep the mystery alive. Round and round goes the wheel of Bigfoot belief.

Ivan Sanderson pronounced giant penguin in Florida from a old boonswoggler's dinosaur hoax...

02.jpg

Tony_1.jpg

Ivan Sanderson crossed the line from hoax enabler to hoaxer. He knew Frank Hansen was a hoaxer, he knew the entire thing was bogus, and he kept sweeping it under the rug so that he could use Hansen and the "mystery" to flog fortean enthusiast books.

Rich_Grybos_and_Ivan_Sanderson_fs.jpg

life_aquatic_with_steve_zissou_ver3.jpg?w=502&h=755

(snip)It could only mean one thing.

I'm really bored.

Well played, sir monkey.

I'm sorry, was this thread about exposing people as being hoaxers ?

No, I'm pretty sure that the OP asked what researcher's were respected.....

The odd joke here and there about someone like Biscardi I understand, its the concerted effort to dredge up long and often repeated attempts to belittle and discredit some people, both living and dead, that members here in this thread have expressed respect for.

This thread, is currently being derailed and run in a completely different direction than the one in which it started.

Let me put it this way..

I would like this thread to remain about the topic that the OP inquired about.

Anyone not wishing to do so, take your sarcasm, and smart aleck remarks elsewhere, or I promise you, you will regret not doing so.....

There are plenty of existing threads in the PGf + other sections that specifically debate Wallace, and all the other guy's who've been torn apart in the above posts...

It's not going to happen here.

Consider this a friendly warning. The next time you hear from me, it wont be so friendly.

Art

Edited by Art1972
to remove one portion.

Guest Kerchak

As to the OP, for me personally I'd have to say Green, Krantz, Dahinden, Byrne (the obvious Four Horsemen) first and foremost and then lately people like Bindernagel and Meldrum, although I don't actually own any Meldrum material and I don't swear by everything he says. I really like Tom Steenburg (have his books) and Rick Noll. I've probably missed some out but those are the ones who spring to mind first I'd say.

Edit. Ooo I like Fahrenbach too. I like the way he talks. Always interesting to hear speak.

PS) Why are there so many images in this thread that have nothing to do with the subject at hand? That must eat into a lot of bandwidth.

Edited by Kerchak
  • Upvote 1

Bill Munns! Of course! And back in the day Ivan T. Sanderson had an incredible life. His Argosy article on the Crew tracks got Roger Patterson started.

From Wikipedia:

"Born in Scotland, Sanderson traveled widely in his youth. His father, who manufactured whisky professionally, was killed by a rhinoceros while assisting a documentary film crew in Kenya in 1925.

As a teenager, Sanderson attended Eton College, and, at 17 years old, began a yearlong trip around the world, focusing mostly on Asia. Sanderson earned a B.A. in zoology, with honors, from Cambridge University, where he later earned M.A. degrees in botany and geology. On a New York area radio talk show on WFMU in 1965, he said he had "three PhD's", but did not elaborate. (recording available).

He became famous as the most credible witness to see a Kongamato, after being attacked by a creature he described as "the Granddaddy of all bats". This encounter occurred when he had shot a fruit bat that toppled into the water. He went to retrieve his catch but was warned by his partner to duck. He described the following events:

"Then I let out a shout also and instantly bobbed down under the water, because, coming straight at me only a few feet above the water was a black thing the size of an eagle. I had only a glimpse of its face, yet that was quite sufficient, for its lower jaw hung open and bore a semicircle of pointed white teeth set about their own width apart from each other. When I emerged, it was gone. ... And just before it became too dark to see, it came again, hurtling back down the river, its teeth chattering, the air "shss-shssing" as it was cleft by the great, black, dracula-like wings."

Sanderson conducted a number of expeditions as a teenager and young man into tropical areas in the 1920s and 1930s, gaining fame for his animal collecting as well as his popular writings on nature and travel.

During World War II, Sanderson worked for British Naval Intelligence, in charge of counter-espionage against the Germans in the Caribbean, then for British Security Coordination, finally finishing out the war as a press agent in New York City. Afterwards, Sanderson made New York his home and became a naturalized U.S. citizen. In the 1960s Sanderson made his home at 33 Ivan Road in Knowlton Township located in rural northwestern New Jersey, where he owned approximately 8 acres. He later lived in apartment #516 in the Whitby building on West 45th Street in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen until his death in 1973.

In 1948 Sanderson began appearing on American radio and television, speaking as a naturalist and displaying animals. In 1951 he appeared with Patty Painter (real name: Patricia Stinnette) on the world's first regularly scheduled color TV series, The World is Yours. This was broadcast in the CBS field-sequential color system developed by Dr. Peter C. Goldmark.

Sanderson's television appearances with animals led to what he termed his “animal business.†Initially Sanderson borrowed or rented animals from zoos in the New York metropolitan area for his TV appearances. In 1950 at a meeting of the National Speleological Society, he met 20-year-old Edgar O. ("Eddie") Schoenenberger, who by 1952 was his assistant (and ultimately partner) in his animal business. Indeed, Schoenenberger ultimately became president of the company, called Animodels, in 1956. Schoenenberger suggested that, instead of "renting" animals, they should purchase and house them, and gain some additional income by displaying them in a zoo. To accomplish this, Sanderson purchased in November 1952 the "Frederick Trench place" a 250-year-old farmhouse, outbuildings and 25 acres (100,000 m2) of land a short ways from the ultimate location of the zoo between the communities of Columbia and Hainesburg. He immediately commenced refurbishing and expanding this, while also moving 200 of his rarest animals to a barn nearby so he could keep close watch on them. Then, in the Spring of 1954, he established the zoo itself, "Ivan Sanderson’s Jungle Zoo" (and Laboratory), a permanent, summer, roadside facility along the Delaware River on King Cole Curve on Route 46, in the town limits of Manunka Chunk, White Township, Warren County, New Jersey. It was on land leased from King Cole's, a barbecue restaurant owned by Oscar Smith (now defunct). Sanderson also developed and deployed winter traveling exhibits of rare and unusual animals for sports shows and department stores. A fire on the night of Tuesday or early morning hours of Wednesday, February 2, 1955 destroyed his collection of 45 rare animals kept in a barn at his New Jersey home. Ivan Sanderson's Jungle Zoo was flooded out by the Delaware River during the floods caused by Hurricane Diane on August 19, 1955.

Sanderson would often travel from his New Jersey home to his New York apartment to visit friends and to appear on radio and television programs.

During the 1950s and 1960s, Sanderson was widely published in such journals of popular adventure as True, Sports Afield, and Argosy, as well as in the 1940s in general-interest publications such as the Saturday Evening Post. In the 1950s, Sanderson was a frequent guest on John Nebel's paranormal-themed radio program. He was a frequent guest on The Garry Moore Show, being one of the first recognized animal researchers on television to bring live specimens on talk shows. As his friend and fellow cryptozoologist Loren Coleman has remembered in several of Coleman's books, Sanderson's appearances often involved his discussion of cryptozoological topics. Coleman notes that Sanderson could be skeptical. In "Mysterious America," for example, Coleman documents that Sanderson discovered the 1909 "Jersey Devil" incident was an elaborate real estate hoax.

Sanderson was an early follower of Charles Fort. Later he became known for writings on topics such as cryptozoology, a word Sanderson coined in the early 1940s, with special attention to the evidence for lake monsters, sea serpents, Mokèlé-mbèmbé, giant penguins, Yeti, and Sasquatch.

Sanderson founded the Ivan T. Sanderson Foundation in August 1965 on his New Jersey property, which became the Society for the Investigation of the Unexplained (SITU) in 1967. SITU was a non-profit organization that investigated strange phenomena ignored by mainstream science."

• Upvote 1

Guest Kerchak

Bill Munns! Of course!

Hmmmm never thought of Bill. Does he count as a 'bigfoot researcher'? I see Bill Munns more as specifically an analyser of the PGF in particular.

I guess he would count then, thinking about it.

• Upvote 1