Most Respected Researcher?

All the good names have been mentioned, & they do deserve whatever credit they get.

But here's the rub, being respected within the community is one thing........but I doubt there's much respect outside these walls for any of them that aren't in it for $ or attention.

All the world sees are the MM's & biscardis in the spotlight.id say,imo, its a safe bet all the rest get lumped in the same group in the public eye.that's too bad.......

Fwiw, I enjoy reading Mr brancos accounts, Mr munns shows dedication & bipedalist gave me advice on recorders a while back so they get a thumbs up from me, & perhaps meldrum for risking his rep with the science crowd.

Guest Jodie

Most that do serious bigfoot research are aware of the stigma of the topic before they ever go down that path. I never had much sympathy for those that got upset because people didn't accept what they had to say about it. Like most great artists, their work is often not appreciated until long after they are dead. I believe it is just a matter of time before bigfoot becomes a reality rather than a myth.

Guest COGrizzly

Nevermind, I see the title has changed.

Who is the most respected researcher on here? "On here" infers just on the BFF...I think that was the original Q.

All the good names have been mentioned, & they do deserve whatever credit they get.

But here's the rub, being respected within the community is one thing........but I doubt there's much respect outside these walls for any of them that aren't in it for $ or attention.

All the world sees are the MM's & biscardis in the spotlight.id say,imo, its a safe bet all the rest get lumped in the same group in the public eye.that's too bad.......

Fwiw, I enjoy reading Mr brancos accounts, Mr munns shows dedication & bipedalist gave me advice on recorders a while back so they get a thumbs up from me, & perhaps meldrum for risking his rep with the science crowd.

I don't think this is entirely untrue. This Scientific American article about Meldrum is certainly not casting him in the light of Money and Biscardi...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bigfoot-anatomy

The article does mention being ostracized. Is Meldrum ostracized? I don't know if that's entirely accurate. The leading anthropologists I've heard from such as Eugenie Scott, David Begun, Todd Disotell and others just tend to think he's wrong. They don't dismiss him as a kook and some of them know Meldrum personally.

I have seen Meldrum be wrong about a lot of things concerning hoaxes and misidentifications. He has also done some smart things like going to the source for over a year with the Snow Walker footage to prove the hoax. He has some theories regarding the origins of some Native Americans that I consider to be extremely fringe and based on a highly dubious source I can't get into do to forum policy on religion. It's not directly about religion, but it involves science relating to a religious text. Anyway, I think the main point is that I would agree far and away Meldrum is the most respected researcher here. I think here is a technicality since he has never actually posted, but that's academic. I defintely myself do not put him in the same territory as Money and Biscardi. I know Biscardi and as for Money, I'm not his favourite person in the world if legal threats and hate mail are any indicator.

I wasn't necessarily only talking about meldrum & the science crowd. I think there's already a thread on that,IIRC.

It was more of an observation concerning the typical reaction / habits of the general public.

Just let some local news show air a segment on a sighting & they usually can't keep a straight face.

Then, the only researchers that usually end up in the big spotlight on TV are the MM's & guys like the GA hoax guys.

perception is everything,& if BF researchers are perceived be like those guys ,well there's that general public opinion.

Short version,most of the general public seems to think BF is a joke & all things BF are typically viewed as such ,including researchers,imo.

I'd agree with that, Phil. I also thinks it's unfortunate that all of those men have been taken by hoaxes and mis-ID's.

Thank you guy's for discussing this stuff since my post in an intelligent, mature way... seriously, not being sarcastic.

Kit, I think its kind of a given that at some point a researcher may temporarily buy into a hoax (if its good enough).

It's what they chose to do when they realize they've been duped that is the real test of moral fiber.

I've read this thread several times now and am amazed that I have hung around with nearly everyone mentioned as being respected. I should write a book with some of the stories I could tell! Or....be paid to keep quiet.... ;)

Kit, I think its kind of a given that at some point a researcher may temporarily buy into a hoax (if its good enough).

It's what they chose to do when they realize they've been duped that is the real test of moral fiber.

Which is dissappointing to me with particularly Green, but also Meldrum regarding the BCM hoax.

Doesn't Green point back to Titmus and Dahindien as being quintessential BF researchers? I thought I heard him claim that in an interview.

Meldrum and Green rock.

I agree. Green rocks at collating reports and recording them, as well as early efforts at publicizing the Bigfoot phenomenon. Meldrum rocks at gathering casts and other alleged evidence, as well as supporting and publicizing the search for Bigfoot. Green in particular has a special place for me having been my introduction to Bigfootery. Unfortunately, since my prior years as a believer then abandoning belief, I have come to the realization that neither man rock, Meldrum in particular, when it comes to discerning what comes from Bigfoot and what doesn't.

I do not, however, think they should not be respected. Unbiased scrutiny, respect, and above all civility. I think they deserve all of these things. Green has been very respectful in our interactions, and if Meldrum has been incivil to me in the past, I can at least understand he is still human and will feel frustration when his arguments are questioned and refuted. Green actually reminds me a lot of my beloved late grandfather. They have very similar dispositions and mannerisms, if totally opposite perspectives about the existence of Bigfoot.

If I could have one wish for John Green it would be this...

Let's say Bigfoot is real. Let's say out there amongst all those people who make habituation claims such as those Bindernagel has come to believe, one of them is true and actually Bigfoot is regularly visiting these people's property. Let say I had one ticket and one ticket only to go see these Bigfoots and no other chance to go there.

I would give the ticket to John Green and wish him the best.

I would also give him my best digital camcorder and box of latex gloves and specimen bags.