Question For Serious Researchers, Biologists, Veterinarians, Etc.

Very very good point...

And one that was made at the inception of this thread.

Summersby

Tranq it,draw blood ,and implant a RFID chip ,let go. This is my plan, simple and effective and we would be able to track it's behavioral pattern. At the same time be able to observe at a distance stealthily .

Guest toejam

Haha, good luck. This is completely ridiculous. Sommersby, you can't even get a visual on this creature on your own terms. Their capabilities at approach with such stealth is uncanny.

The forest is THEIR home and they know it better than any human.

So far I haven't heard one peep out of you concerning any experience you've encountered in the past.

All I've seen is 25 years experience. 25 years at what? I think this is all a load of b.s.

Haha, good luck. This is completely ridiculous. Sommersby, you can't even get a visual on this creature on your own terms. Their capabilities at approach with such stealth is uncanny.

The forest is THEIR home and they know it better than any human.

So far I haven't heard one peep out of you concerning any experience you've encountered in the past.

All I've seen is 25 years experience. 25 years at what? I think this is all a load of b.s.

Toe jam

Who says we cannot get visual on this creature ? Any thing is possible if you have the resources to do so. The question is who is willing to spend the money to do so. I am sure there have been more of us who have been able to get close to these creatures and I mean a lot closer then 400 yrds or feet. Sure I have thought of shooting one and even doing so with a bow but have elected not too. So I sure do not find this ridiculous as you say.

Sure picture's could also be taken at the time of the event. But finding the resources to do this would be the biggest task and it would not be an easy task.

Thank you to everyone who is remaining civil & who is contributing ideas of worth. It's wonderfully easy to ignore the junk comments so please keep the ideas coming!

• To temporarily immobilize a BF, fire one or more XREP taser shells from a smooth-bore 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun with Gen 3 scope. See my argument below on the XREP vs. Tranquilizer Darts.

• As BF is incapacitated by the XREP, team members run up with several net guns (see link below) to completely cover BF

• At close range, a large animal tranquilizer is shot with an air pistol to knock-out the creature.

• Using spot-lights, flares, flash-bang gun shells, and high-powered rifles (just in case), team members encircle the 'incapacitation team' during the process

When you came on this thread you seemed to be very experienced with capturing large animals. Now it seems BF will be your first try.

I would suggest that your team practice on a bull in a pasture. If you can get it down and tied up in nets, then you may be ready to try for a BF that will rip your head off if you screw up.

Guest toejam

Of course many of us have been able to get close, on their terms. I've had them within a stones throw but to get a clear visual is extremely difficult. I've had them close but always on their terms, not mine. You can put yourself in an area and hope they show up, that's about it. If it were on our terms, then someone would have some clear footage.

"Sure picture's could also be taken at the time of the event. But finding the resources to do this would be the biggest task and it would not be an easy task."

That statement makes no sense. A telephoto lens, a video camera with a high optical zoom and image stabilizer? Unless you're talking only at night and don't have a thermal which are costly.

I do most of my research in daylight because I've learned that it doesn't matter what time of day it is. It's their ability to stay hidden that makes it difficult.

When you came on this thread you seemed to be very experienced with capturing large animals. Now it seems BF will be your first try.

I would suggest that your team practice on a bull in a pasture. If you can get it down and tied up in nets, then you may be ready to try for a BF that will rip your head off if you screw up.

Thank you for your concern. You are exactly right about your thoughts... perhaps practicing on a bull would be good practice ;) That is slightly similar to a creature that no one has come close to capturing alive. Thinking outside the box is required, in my opinion.

In my 'part-time' experience of researching BF, Ive run across only a handful of enthusiastic Bigfoot researchers who ALSO truly have experience in large animal tranquilization.

In fact, I've met a couple through this forum who are currently helping me with this project so if that is your concern, know that it is mine as well.

However, I've not met someone who has shot an XREP at a person.

I'm looking for ANYONE's thoughts on this plan specifically.

Guest drtracr

I have tranqed many bulls and cows. Tranqing a BF is a bad idea. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes or more for it to go down and then you are not sure it is down for good. I have had a bull get up when I walked up and he was mad. if the animal is hot or stressed, the tranq might not work at all. Tranqing after you capture is another deal in itself.

JM

First let me say that SOF is not what you want. When I think of groups of special skill set people I know to do this job, Prison Guards come to the front of my mind.

Second, there are too many unknowns to realistically expect success on the first attempt to render the subject transportable. For this reason, I would say a deep Earth trap would provide the best chance for capture. You would need to extend the exposure timeline and a deep trap would do it. It would allow you time to observe the behavior and to test different methods to immobilize it without harming it.

Digging the trap will attract their attention- and they will make a note to avoid the trap as it might be dangerous.

How can you say "They will make a note to avoid it"? I would argue they will be just as likely to fall into it out of curiosity.

I just can't buy that a creature with no command of fire/tools/weapons would have the presense of mind to rationalize "Hey, that backhoe was over there digging a big hole in the ground, then they covered it with native ground cover. We better steer clear of there because that looks pretty dangerous"

I haven't heard of one building a house yet, or storing up food for the Winter. Either of those would make me believe they have a strong enough momory to carry over year to year, short of that, they will eventually forget about the hole.