Question For Serious Researchers, Biologists, Veterinarians, Etc.

Obviously, if I wanted to shoot to kill this animal, I wouldn't be here. But I'm finding the lack of answers discouraging....

Shoot to kill it. I'll show you how, obviously.

Edited to add: military "types" are not in the business of tranquilizing animals, they are not the "experts" in this field.

Edited by Ace!

Guest Check

Lately I see a lot of top level posts - and also replies to others - discussing tactics to capture Bigfoot.

I think a more intriguing question is: what do you do now that you have one!

Guest Josh S. Henaman

Assuming I captured Bigfoot purely by accident with no plan and no follow-up contacts? I'd consider contacting the Jane Goodall Institute.

Okay, they might consider your request a little from left field. Welcome to the BFF, BTW.

It's just that I doubt the Jane Goodall Institute has a contingency plan for sasquatch. Me, I'd surely attempt to notify Dr. Meldrum, at Idaho State.

Guest Josh S. Henaman

Yeah, I agree, it would definitely be out of left field, however I believe the Goodall Institute would have the immediate ability to coordinate a response for keeping a specimen alive, handling of the press, navigating political waters, etc. Or at the very least, they would have the potential to reach out to third parties and get the ball moving for all of these issues all at once. Keeping the specimen healthy and safe would be the primary function, at which point I think the Institute would definitely reach out to Dr. Meldrum, but while that was going on they (the Institute) could then perform all the other tasks as well.

Also, thanks for the welcome! It's good to be here.

Guest BFSleuth

I have merged the "Once You Capture BF, Then What?" thread into this one to make it easier for members to contribute to a singular concept.

Guest minnie-ear

Well, you could build a large wooden cage and bait it with fruits and veggies...oh, that's right; already tried and failed thirty plus years ago in Southern Oregon. Shocking, it didn't work.

The idea of capture is a sophmoric. As anyone who has been within close proximity can tell you. They are large, fast and smart. From birth to death they survive where we only visit. Without offense to SF guys, there is no special ops person on the face of the planet that has the outdoor skill set of a sasquatch child.

Just read an article about cops trying to tranqulize a cougar in California. They eventually had to shoot and kill this animal of known size that was cornered. You really think anyone could do better with squatch? They can throw a filled 50 gallon drum. How are you going to hold one?

If you are hellbent on 'proving', then scour caves for bones. As impossible that task seems, you would have better luck.

Even if you have been at this for 25 years you are a new comer. Some very notable people who devoted their lives to this failed at capture or killing. Dahinden comes to mind.

If you really know when and where they are going to be with in 400 yds, why don't you leave them some fruit and make friends. That will be far more enjoyable and rewarding than wasting your time trying to figure out how you can out smart an animal that is so secretive the majority of the inhabitants on this continent think is joke. They've been at the avoiding being killed by people thing for a while.

Edited by minnie-ear

Guest Lone Squatcher

Sommersby,

Don't listen to them. If you have a chance to kill one, do it. Plan on getting the evidence out to multiple universities and/or labs. Science will get a type specimen and it'll be protected forever. It's the best thing you can possibly to do help them.

You asked me in a previous post if you could come Squatch'n with me. I was considering it until I read this. If you want to kill one or are pro kill, I'll never bring you with me. Never. These creatures are more human than animal.

• Upvote 1

Guest OntarioSquatch

Oh no, the kill debate. Personally I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't help anyone do it. But at the same time I wouldn't stop someone from doing it.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Guest minnie-ear

There has always been a lot of talk from the capture and kill crowd. So far, all talk and no results. People who claim they can kill one go ahead and get it over with and good luck. Just remember to reload after you shoot the first one.

No one has a viable capture plan because no one has yet to field a viable picture plan. The plain fact is that subdueing a 500 to 800 pound creature with thumbs isn't something which will be easy.

The simple fact is that until a dead specimen is in the hands of a reputable university biology department, we're all going to be chasing shadows in the campfire. Rumore of DNA finds and such are great, but what do you baseline a tissue sample from without a specimen? If it's a hominid, then it's going to look human-like, and be dismissed as such. If it tests out as a great ape, then maybe something could be started from that as there are no native great ape species in North America. This of course presupposes that you can get a complete DNA strand to test.

We need a mostly complete specimen to draw DNA, just like we've had on nearly every other creature classified by science. Beyond that, we might as well give offerings to Albion for as much as it will mean in the grand scheme of things.

One of them must die; my hope is that it would be a juvenile male that wouldn't impact the long term viability of the species.

Sub adult, not juvenile. No one wants to shoot a child bigfoot.

Guest BFSleuth

Outstanding first post Monster87. I especially like your opening sentence. You are right.

Right now we have a plethora of folks on this forum touting capture plans and intimating they need funding to get 'er done. Well, if they perhaps had a viable picture plan and got the defining set of pictures or video, then they might have a much better chance of convincing daddy deep pockets to write that check.

Good words for the wise.