Unique Sighting Report - Ability Of Bf To Hide In Plain Sight

Guest BFSleuth

SSR Team

This one thought it would turn into a tree, but got spotted.

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=16295

This vid (its short) always kind of reminds me of SSq and their blending in abilities. I can watch this over and over :)

That's the same video I was going to post. Not saying BF has those capabilities, but I'me sure there is some triats that allow BF's hair to help conceal them. What interesting about the octopus video is, how does the octopus know what color and patten to reproduce and know how it will appear like to a predator? That alone boggles my mind.

Coonbo is my brother in all but blood, he's also my primary mentor in all things monkee. If he tells you something about boogers, you can take it to the bank...

I'm particularly interested in accounts that happen when the RP is hunting, as my primary interest in the critters is how & where they fit into the outdoors in relation to myself as a hunter. Like the other hunters here, I could relate scads of experiences of spotting & observing various animals in the field. A booger's ability to hide in plain sight flat out fascinates me.

Speaking of which, I can relate this story about hiding in plain sight and the way we see. when I went through sniper school in 04' one of the blocks of instruction was on concealment. This alone would have made the training worthwhile, as I learned even more about how to see as well as how not to be seen than I had in a lifetime of hunting and my prior military experience combined. When we were introduced to the ghillie suit, the classes attention was directed to about a 20 by 20 yard patch of fairly light brush from which we were no more than 15 feet. The cover was light enough that I could look through it to the clearing beyond. We were told there was a ghillied up sniper in the brush, and were instructed to pick him out then describe where he was and what we saw. We were given a few minutes to observe, then directed to find the sniper. There were 18 students in the class, almost all experienced hunters & outdoorsmen, and not one of us was able to pick out the ghillied up sniper (one of our instructors and shall we say experienced in the job), who was laying on the ground unmoving but pretty much in plain sight, maybe 30 feet from us.

I think of boogers as being equipped with nature's ghillie suit. I don't have the slightest doubt that the colonel's report is true...

Lots of animals are good at this (deer are great at it). But there are indeed many reports of an animal in the open or plain sight "freezing" and not moving a muscle the entire time it was in the witness's sight. Most of these involve drivers passing one on the road. But in one Anne Arundel Co., MD report, the animal maintained its freeze so long that the stationary observer finally gave up on ever seeing it move (light was fading too) and left...and he was a BFRO researcher! That's patience, from both of them.

SSR Team

Yep. It's behavior I have witnessed many times. There are times I've been positively alarmed at how close a stationary animal (not a bigfoot, but one can hope!) was to me before I noticed it.

SSR Team

I a,ways thought a blob squatch was made by poor resolution on a camera ?

Guest Darrell

Just as an aside, I served at one point in my military career with then Captain, and later Major Kevin Jones. We called him "Three Fingers". He was an odd duck for sure, but was fully Ranger and Special Forces qualified. He never talked about seeing a bigfoot to us of course.

• 1 year later...
Guest lightheart

Thanks for bumping this thread Parkie. There are so many good points for discussion here.

One point that was made was that humans don't use the eyes we have as efficiently as we could. I had one sighting using my peripheral vision. It was about 100 to 150 yards off to my left traversing thick cover. By stopping often and looking around I spotted it for several seconds as it moved between trees and brush before it ducked. I suspect they do this all the time at about that distance. I have never heard them moving unless they snapped a twig on purpose. Part of the reason is because they maintain a safe distance. They don't do anything aggressive or threatening....they just want to know that you are not going near a bedding area.

SSR Team

Fantastic thread.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm trying to catch up a bit and must say this has been my favorite thread thus far.

It is amazing how animals can just blend into their surroundings and hide in plain site. A couple of years ago I posted a rather intimate photo of a copperhead in pine straw and leaves that some are probably still looking for.

As a hunter I know haw well deer blend into these Georgia woods and how hard they are to see. You just look for the flick of a tail or ear and a horizontal line where everything else is vertical.

Still it is tough.

Never witnessed a BF personally while in the woods, but I'd imagine they would blend into their surroundings as well.