Operation Persistence

Yes. I want to record the camera "doing its thing" in a noiseless environment to determine whether it is making sounds that alert "them" to their presence. The limit to most humans hearing is somewhere between 14 kHz and 20 kHz. Interestingly enough, as we get older the high frequency limit that we can hear is reduced. They actually market extremely high frequency ringtones to kids because the adults i.e., teachers (probably) can't hear them. Many mammals can hear frequencies far beyond the typical 20Hz-20,000Hz that is considered the human range of hearing.

Check the specs for your headphones / speakers, and audio interface, and try it yourself.

http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

When I went through the MEPS screening, I could hear higher frequencies than the average human. At 39 years, I can now only hear to about 16 kHz.

If the producers of "Finding Bigfoot" offered the TBRC "ONE MILLION DOLLARS" to let their crew in with the arrangement that they were blindfolded or something, for one night of Sasquatchery in Area X to film their season finale, would you guys consider it? While you may feel like Woody Harrelson giving up Demi Moore to Robert Redford in "Indecent Proposal", that would buy an awful lot of gear.

Guest Cervelo

Irish,

I'll pm you if you don't mind I have a great interest in this stuff but not the tech ability.

Thx for your response!

Edited by Cervelo

I suspect that not only is there the possibility of super sonic noise made by cameras, there could also be a problem with infra-red sensitivity. This may be why trail cams get avoided so much.

I've been thinking that a simple way around it is a capacitive detection system. This would not scare off wildlife as it *is* something they would not detect. If the camera has a remote trigger it would be a simple matter to set up a capacitive sensor nearby.

Guest Cervelo

Well my game cam makes at least one noise I can hear and I have a significant high freq loss.

Edited by Cervelo

So there really is no way to assure someone who shouldn't be there is there, that's what I'm getting from your responses. You can't rule out a hoaxer.

*sigh*

f they're hoaxers, they've been at it for years, and quite concertedly for the past two. To what end? What's the benefit of them presumably risking their lives to hoax us? This is the biggest question, but it's followed on by myriad logistical ones. How do they know when we're going to be there? We can show up whenever we want and still get activity. Where do they live while doing this? We're all over that area and have never seen signs of any campsite or human habitation How do they travel in the dark so easily? Where are they getting all those monkey suits? How can they wear them when it's 100+ outside with 90% humidity? Where did they obtain all the body armor they must be wearing? How do they support themselves in the real world? Presumably, if we're there for three months and have activity the whole time, they're there the whole time. Let's say they take shifts. We need 30 people to hold the location for three months. How many of these motiveless and death defying hoaxers are there?

Outside human hoaxery is ludicrous. Total nonsense. Am I saying we will never be hoaxed down there? No. If the location is compromised and someone is cynical and stupid enough to give it a go, then we might be. That would be bad for everyone concerned. But have we been hoaxed in X up to this point? No. Absolutely not.

I challenge these fantasy hoaxers publicly. Game's over. It's been years now. Let us have it. Declare your hoaxing and show the TBRC to be hopelessly gullible and naive. Show the world your amazing bigfoot costumes and secret encampments and stealthy ninja skills. Your move.

Since we are talking about trail cams here I would like to pass an idea along. I see that some pinhole spy cameras are pretty small these days so what about integrating one into a strap that holds up the trail camera, but on the other side of the tree. Some have built in transmitters while others are corded and the camera box would have to be modified to accept another recording devise. Since it would only be usable during the day light hours, bating the front camera with some irresistible food item might get them go approach the trap and get snagged from the backside with the pinhole.