Something As Simple........as A Coyote.

norseman

Has anybody noticed how many Coyotes yipping and howling during the middle of the night are being attributed to Sasquatch?

I have come across numerous youtube videos, audio files on various websites, etc.

Some even admit that it sounds like a Coyote but it's a Squatch mimicing a coyote instead. :o

I have called, shot and skinned my fair share of Coyotes and I want to assure you all that if it sounds like a Coyote? It is! Wolf? Then it is!

I've heard whoop calls in audio files........I don't have an answer to that. But if you don't believe me about Coyote calls, then you need a heavier dose of the Outdoor life channel and this guy:

http://predatorquest.com/web/

Yip Yip Ki Yi AAAAAEEEEEE

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 3

I tend to agree. To me if it sounds even a little canine, I move on.

It is good to learn all the known sounds and I admit that I have much to learn yet.

I'm by no means a coyote guru caller..........but I do ok. But there is just a ton of info on the internet.

Here are a bunch of calls mimicing coyotes and other prey animals as well:

http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

Callers have gone high tec and use MP3 files now too.

I also found this bear site;

http://www.bear.org/website/live-cameras/videos/bear-videos.html

Some cool video and bear sounds too.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
Please don't quote the post immeditely preceding

I agree alot of these calls people hear in the distance are coyotes but a select few are not. As a matter of fact I was convinced that all sounds that people describe as coyote like BF howles where just coyotes untill I heard a coyote in mid call turn into a owle call and then morphe into a deep gorilla like scream, does that sound like just your average coyote ? I can say that the sound I heard was not several animals going off at once, it came from one creature about 150 yards in front of me in July of 2010 at around 1 AM in the morning. That night my idea of what I thought I knew was once more flipped upside down.

Nathan,

I would love to hear your audio if you have any. But in my neck of the woods, sounds like, a baby crying or a woman screaming is attributed to Cougar. But a yote/owl/gorilla combo call would be quite the marriage of different sounds.

In my neck of the woods I hardly ever hear a coyote howl........for the most part they yip and yap, and sometimes they Ki Yi. I wouldn't really call it a howl, not like a wolf or even a dog. Some dogs howl very well.........my father n law raised sled dogs, and some of the huskies sounded very much like wolfs. And I have heard wolfs in Idaho on elk hunts in the past too. So I could compare.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC

Guest JiggyPotamus

I would agree that it is almost impossible to know that a certain animal call was made by a sasquatch. Coyote vocalizations are varied, and there are other factors such as distance, location, etc. that will affect the sound that reaches an observer. Recently I have had my entire belief system regarding sasquatch sounds turned upside down. I know sasquatch exist as I have had one visual encounter, so this does not affect my belief in their existence, rather it only affects my belief in the vocalizations that they make.

I grew up and currently live in Texas. There are certain animals that we do not have here in this state, so despite spending ample time in the backwoods as I was growing up, and being relatively proficient in identifying animal sounds, there are still many noises that are foreign to me. I have spent a lot of time listening to recordings of purported sasquatch online, and was almost the most impressed by a certain type of vocalization. Deep down I never really believed that the many high pitched screams and howls were coming from a sasquatch, but instead were coming mainly from felines and canines, with the sound often times affected by other natural factors. But the deep screaming sounds always shook me, and I put some faith in them being sasquatch vocalizations. That was until I became familiar with moose.

I had already spent time listening to sounds of North American animals on the internet, especially the animals I had no first hand knowledge of, and I learned quite a bit. It turns out that animals like owls can make extremely varied sounds, and even smaller animals that one would not expect anyone to confuse with sasquatch can make strange noises at times. A long time ago I remember hearing a very strange sound, which turned out to be a squirrel, lol. I knew what squirrels usually sounded like, as they have this chirping bark, but this was entirely different and strange. And big cats usually had a distinctively feline type sound in their vocalizations, but on a couple of rare occassions I have realized that this distinctively feline identifier does not always present itself to the observer. I have heard cat screams that sound exactly like some of the recordings that people are saying came from a sasquatch.

Anyway, I was familiar with a couple of different sounds that were made by moose, and figured they did not really make any other distinctive sounds. Since I have never travelled the backwoods in moose country, I was not sure of their capabilities. All I knew previously was that they can be dangerous during mating season, and that you wouldn't want to make a male angry, lol. Anyway, by sheer chance I heard a sound while watching a video that was from a moose. I was floored, because that sound was the exact same sound that I had figured could only have come from a sasquatch, given its deep tone and bass-like characteristics. So it turns out that moose have some great vocal abilities.

Armed with this new information, I started rethinking all of the sounds that were purported to have come from sasquatch. I spent no more than 3 weeks, on and off, looking over the same evidence, with a bit of new evidence I found, although most of the sounds are basically the same. The main differences are in the recording qualities and the various ambient and background noises that distort the recording, as well as the factors I listed earlier regarding distance, etc.. After this analysis I came to a conclusion. Or multiple possible conclusions really.

Either sasquatch are mimicing the vocalizations of other animals, utilizing these methods so as to not draw attention to themselves, in their long distance communications with one another, or they do not really have a universal "call" that is used for long distance communication. Really, not that much can be communicated in a scream or howl, at least from my point of view, so what information could be so important that it must be advertised to the entire world for miles around? The only thing I can think of would be that it is a call to meet up. Food has been found, or one sasquatch needs to find another sasquatch, as there are not many meanings that can be conveyed in one single call. And given that these calls are so close to other animal calls, along with the fact that sasquatch would probably not have the need to be making loud vocalizations all that often, it is quite possible that what is mostly being recorded and presented is coming from known animals.

I suppose there are some who would contend that sasquatch prposefully attempt to make their vocalizations sound similar to those of other animals, while at the same time making them sound slightly different and distinctive, so that whomever they are communicating their message to will be able to distinguish between the call of another sasquatch and the call of some other type of animal. I am not saying this is impossible by any means. In fact, since we know that sasquatch are intelligent animals, it is quite possible, and maybe even probable that they would adopt a system such as this. Especially considering they utilize everything else that they find in nature, to an extent, and are so good in their environment that they have been able to avoid people for quite a long time. Plus, it has long been speculated, and even witnessed directly, that sasquatch mimic bird calls, so maybe they are copying other animals as well. Quite possible in my opinion.

So really I have not come to a definite conclusion on the issue, but now I have a healthy respect for the abilities of various animals to make strange vocalizations at times, and I will never again be quick to label any sound as having originated from a sasquatch, even when it meets my personal criteria. Because the main thing I have learned thus far, besides the fact that sasquatch are real, is that a person's personal criteria may not always be correct, and thus they are led astray. This happens to many people who do not put enough effort into debunking their own beliefs quite frequently, and it can and does happen to those of us who do not accept everything sasquatch related at face value. I do give the benefit of the doubt many times when it comes to people, but that doesn't mean I accept their evidence without question. And when it comes to nature it is important to remember that we do not really have her all figured out, even though often times we assume we do, and we assume that we know everything that transpires, especially when it collides with our human way of life.

Humans do it mainly to attract an animal to harvest it to eat.

What we couldnt do with our mouths we shaped calls with our hands.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC

I have yet to get my head around why a Bigfoot would try to pretend it's another animal. Low self-esteem, maybe?

As hunters, we mimic our prey to draw them into a kill zone, BF may be doing this.

I was floored, because that sound was the exact same sound that I had figured could only have come from a sasquatch, given its deep tone and bass-like characteristics. So it turns out that moose have some great vocal abilities.

That makes sense because a moose is a huge animal! I'll have to take a listen. When I was living in Maine, I was very disappointed to never have seen a moose.... I really hoped to see one! It was the only thing disappointing about Maine.

I question everything I hear, but I do admit to giving more credence to anything that gets posted to the sites of mongahela and Stan Courtney. Though, I have to admit, I still love the bigfoot grumbling under his breath (the Daniel Boone Forest vid/audio).

I always carry my audio recorder with me now when I'm out and about. I really hope to get some audio for you all to listen to someday!!! I had one chance already and blew it, I hope to get another someday.

Guest Darrell

It really comes down to this: People who go in the woods to look for bigfoot seem to always attribute stuff to bigfoot. Just watch Finding Bigfoot for such silliness.

I have yet to get my head around why a Bigfoot would try to pretend it's another animal. Low self-esteem, maybe?

I think Robert W. Morgan is spot on with his theory that BF are of a tactical mindset most of the time.

If that is true, it would make sense.

If these creatures are as shy as some believe they are, what better way to vocally communicate, or, signal another BF, when an unwanted presence is in their midst, without giving their presence away?

Or, perhaps, they are just bored? Entertainment options are somewhat limited in the wild, after all.

norseman I am sad to say I had no recording gear at the time and I was pretty much just a kid with a interest at that point and had no idea that there was real research to be done, it bothers me that the best encounters and events happened when I had nothing to help back up my words. So all I can do is tell about what happened at the time and I know alot of people will not believe me but I want this data to be at least known so people with similar exsperiances can reflect upon it and share about what happened to them collect a better undrstanding of what is going on.

This is another instance of what I am sure was a mimic. I don't yet know why the mix mimic sounds but I really believe they coyote mimic to draw in coyotes to kill them, me and my cousin Max heard what we thought was a lone coyote in late August 2010. So it was going off over and over but the pitch this coyote was at was rather odd I thought, after a few minutes we heard a bunch of coyote go off in response to the lone howler and they got closer in the time span of about 10 minutes, the lone howler stopped and the pack started in closer to where the howler was, after a few more minutes we heard this coyote start shreaking like it was being beaten with a base ball bat, moments later we heard what I can only think was the coyote get body slammed on a tree. We heard the crunch of bone and a finale yelp as if the impact plunged the air out of the thing. The rest of the pack must have got away and the woods went dead silient.

As hunters, we mimic our prey to draw them into a kill zone, BF may be doing this.

Yeah but a coyote??? Maybe thats where the legendary bigfoot smell comes from, the coyote stink on their hands, lol. For anyone who hasn't had the experience of smelling a coyote up close they are not pleasant.

I will say some of my favorite moments bowhunting are of walking out of a bottom I use to hunt in after dark and sitting on the ridge to listen to coyotes on the opposite ridge sound off. I would often just sit there for a long time and enjoy the dark.

Great thread

In my neck of the woods I hardly ever hear a coyote howl........for the most part they yip and yap, and sometimes they Ki Yi

same here in Ohio

Really, not that much can be communicated in a scream or howl, at least from my point of view, so what information could be so important that it must be advertised to the entire world for miles around?

A BF scream warning to others when one found danger(humans) in the area would be understandable to me but I admit the random howls seem out of place for a stealthy creature. Being vocal during breeding season yeah that could happen but then what purpose does knocking have if they are willing to be so vocal.

I suppose there are some who would contend that sasquatch prposefully attempt to make their vocalizations sound similar to those of other animals, while at the same time making them sound slightly different and distinctive, so that whomever they are communicating their message to will be able to distinguish between the call of another sasquatch and the call of some other type of animal..

If they can do mimic sounds then this would be the extent of it I believe, BF making bird calls always reminds me of the Indians on the Daniel Boone show using a whip-o-will call to communicate before the attack. ;)

Edited by peter