Something As Simple........as A Coyote.

norseman

Guest COGrizzly

Yes, I noticed.

In fact, a buddy went on a BFRO trip years ago. He said they were mis taking coyotes for squatches and people were believing them.

norseman I am sad to say I had no recording gear at the time and I was pretty much just a kid with a interest at that point and had no idea that there was real research to be done, it bothers me that the best encounters and events happened when I had nothing to help back up my words. So all I can do is tell about what happened at the time and I know alot of people will not believe me but I want this data to be at least known so people with similar exsperiances can reflect upon it and share about what happened to them collect a better undrstanding of what is going on.

This is another instance of what I am sure was a mimic. I don't yet know why the mix mimic sounds but I really believe they coyote mimic to draw in coyotes to kill them, me and my cousin Max heard what we thought was a lone coyote in late August 2010. So it was going off over and over but the pitch this coyote was at was rather odd I thought, after a few minutes we heard a bunch of coyote go off in response to the lone howler and they got closer in the time span of about 10 minutes, the lone howler stopped and the pack started in closer to where the howler was, after a few more minutes we heard this coyote start shreaking like it was being beaten with a base ball bat, moments later we heard what I can only think was the coyote get body slammed on a tree. We heard the crunch of bone and a finale yelp as if the impact plunged the air out of the thing. The rest of the pack must have got away and the woods went dead silient.

I wasn't there Nathan, and I'm not trying to be a kill joy.

But it's very common for a pack to defend it's territory against interlopes of it's own kind. It's also very common for coyotes to be cannibals.

Again, I didn't hear the howler, so there for I cannot say if what you heard was a Squatch hunt that was mimicing coyote calls to lure in dinner.

Guest SquatchinNY

norseman I am sad to say I had no recording gear at the time and I was pretty much just a kid with a interest at that point and had no idea that there was real research to be done, it bothers me that the best encounters and events happened when I had nothing to help back up my words. So all I can do is tell about what happened at the time and I know alot of people will not believe me but I want this data to be at least known so people with similar exsperiances can reflect upon it and share about what happened to them collect a better undrstanding of what is going on.

This is another instance of what I am sure was a mimic. I don't yet know why the mix mimic sounds but I really believe they coyote mimic to draw in coyotes to kill them, me and my cousin Max heard what we thought was a lone coyote in late August 2010. So it was going off over and over but the pitch this coyote was at was rather odd I thought, after a few minutes we heard a bunch of coyote go off in response to the lone howler and they got closer in the time span of about 10 minutes, the lone howler stopped and the pack started in closer to where the howler was, after a few more minutes we heard this coyote start shreaking like it was being beaten with a base ball bat, moments later we heard what I can only think was the coyote get body slammed on a tree. We heard the crunch of bone and a finale yelp as if the impact plunged the air out of the thing. The rest of the pack must have got away and the woods went dead silient.

Owww.......

Sounds very painful.

https://soundcloud.c...te-with/s-m15oR

hey norse, yep, some things are exactly as they sound, and some not. My witness includes some incredible events, the most notable the "Whistle Serenade" ..(see habituating..not sure when, maybe page 10?) and I can say confidently BFs (or some) are able to mimic most sounds, even better than most humans.

Over the four years I spent a great deal of attention on the ambient sounds and also as it related to the BFs (sans direct interaction..which did happen!) and am quite convinced when in ear shot of humans (or concerned for stealth) they rely on mimicry....from common birds and animals that elicit no attention from us, to down right spooky stuff meant for us to hear....

prove it you say? LOL right...can't, as right now even if i find an objective difference in a recording I think mimicry ( b/c BFs do not exist ) i can't get the ornithologists to consider that possibility and those anomalies become anomalies (or new normals) for those species.....quite a quandary!

I also know that humans have been recorded in mimicry and the results indistinguishable from the animal, notably "wolf man" (forgot his name).

So, I supplied a link of a coyote pack howl, typical and yet on this one four whoops seem to end the chorus. I did think there was a synergistic (or opportunistic) relationship btw BFs and coyotes...perhaps the scavenging...perhaps just pests to BFs...couldn't say....

Those four whoops were detailed out by a fellow BFer and they are interesting see below:

https://soundcloud.c...nhanced/s-L8pUi

my imgination says the BF decided either, go away coyotes/shut up...or leave, I am finishing off that meal? i don't know....

so yep. you are right..these things can be the expected species, but when one is in the field and able to ferret out a few things, or over time, the attention to suspected mimicry needs to be on everyone's mind out there...

will it lead to "proof" doubt it for reasons mentioned, but it will inform the researcher in the field, in ways unavailable tracking or with cameras, etc....

something you could do that might be interesting record yourself executing your best coyotes yips, barks and howls....and compare...might be illuminating, or not! Study recently concluded over 80% accuracy identifying individual coyote from their howl, yips and barks not so much.

Edited by apehuman

I have yet to get my head around why a Bigfoot would try to pretend it's another animal. Low self-esteem, maybe?

Why does a mockingbird imitate the calls of other birds?

That question asked, I don't think that we can attribute 99.9% of "suspected imitation calls" to BF. Occam's Razor and all... folks who play that game go into my "very suspect of possible mental illness" category...That said, since these things might exist, but we haven't officially discovered them at this point, I think that they would have to have a pretty high degree of tactical intelligence, as has been discussed, and find it reasonable that mimicry is part of their signalling arsenal. It just happens to be convenient for folks who seem to claim every sound in the woods is BF related...

Norse, this is a great thread, and I think that coyotes and a number of other animals' sounds are easily reported as "weird" or suspect. I was shocked to hear some of the noises that even a common fox might make, when listening to some recordings. I can honestly say that since coyote packs are pretty new to VA (of late), and not something I grew up hearing much, I, in a BF mindset, find that I could easily get spooked by some noises, simply b/c the proliferation of the coyotes out east here seems to be a relatively new phenom. Seems quite reasonable.

I love listening to audio recordings. I find them fascinating. I think most noises ARE coyote or wolf (depending on where they are) or maybe even mountain lions (though I haven't heard any myself). I've listened to wolf online and heard lots of coyotes myself. but sometimes there is just something MORE to a few of the recordings I've heard, that just don't sound the same - a different timbre to the voice, a different resonance. I'll see if I can find what I'm remembering.

Good,clear audio is one of my goals.

Has anybody noticed how many Coyotes yipping and howling during the middle of the night are being attributed to Sasquatch?

I have come across numerous youtube videos, audio files on various websites, etc.

Some even admit that it sounds like a Coyote but it's a Squatch mimicing a coyote instead. :o

I have called, shot and skinned my fair share of Coyotes and I want to assure you all that if it sounds like a Coyote? It is! Wolf? Then it is!

I've heard whoop calls in audio files........I don't have an answer to that. But if you don't believe me about Coyote calls, then you need a heavier dose of the Outdoor life channel and this guy:

http://predatorquest.com/web/

Yip Yip Ki Yi AAAAAEEEEEE

Do you recall the "Chehalis Sounds" investigation of 2006. Some folks on this site back then sure didn't like what I had to say and what I claimed to have witnessed.

Thomas Steenburg

So.. "like humans", they mimic sounds to call in their prey. (?)

- owls

- coyotes

- birds

- weed-eaters

- trees being pushed over

By George, it appears they imitated everything under the sun. Strange diet too.

Do you recall the "Chehalis Sounds" investigation of 2006. Some folks on this site back then sure didn't like what I had to say and what I claimed to have witnessed.

Thomas Steenburg

I don't but I recall listening to alot of recorded sounds and thinking either coyote or wolf/dog. I've heard wolfs and coyotes in the wild.......and I hunt coyotes.......so I "talk" abit of coyote by calling them in.

I had a buddy one time cutting firewood with his wife, hear what he described was a "pissed off" gorilla on the ridge above them. It's been a long time ago. But anyhow that would be the type of sounds that would make me raise my eyebrows. But I've never heard anything like that. Same with Les Stroud's testimony.........some apeish sounds that cannot be easily explained away.

Now not to open another can of worms here, but much of the Sierra sounds remind me of a human. So either it was a hoax, OR a Squatch sounds much more like us than it does a coyote. In my mind at least...........you cannot really have it both ways. I can howl like a wolf but I don't think if someone was recording me a half mile away they would confuse me with one.

BFF Patron

I think if I had a certain researchers permission to have them post that I could turn that last statement inside out or at least produce some doubt for you Norseman (about not having it both ways with coyote/human-like vocals in the same breath). I don't think that will be likely but I will try.

Edited by bipedalist