Something As Simple........as A Coyote.

norseman

Guest Cervelo

I've had the "pleasure" of hearing this at night when a Barred Owl really got going.

Myself and my hunting partner were in a field at night doing locator calls for turkey prior to the next days hunt.

In case you don't know turkey will spontaneously gobble while on roost to owl calls.

So we where throwing down some "who cooks for you"s when this owl went nuts and at the time sounded like a monkey that was really pissed off!

We looked at each other, with the "didn't bring a gun look" and said time to go!!

This site has some great recordings..

Great post, Norseman and thanks for the links.

This is indeed a cautionary tale to those who rely only on sounds for making a BF claim.

I heard that coyote in the 3rd link you sent and it was indeed a sound I never heard before.

I heard coyotes many times when backpacking, but they sounded typical with no strange sounds.

For those (like me) who are not familiar with the full range of wild animal sounds, it is a good lesson.

Cervelo, those owl sounds are also bizarre. I have seen owls and heard them, but not like that (I guess I have never ran into Barred owls). Thanks for sharing.

norseman, this recording is from the Chehalis Sounds investigation of 2006. Also file report #10150, the first update of April 5 2006 concerns the coyote

Thomas Steenburg

chehalis1(1).wav

THE CHEHALIS SOUNDS INVESTIGATION

B.C. File: 10150

Location: Chehalis flats, near Tapadra Estates, British Columbia

Date: March 2006

Report by: Thomas Steenburg

On follow up investigations concerning the Chehalis recordings by the Davies from their porch of Feb 1st 2005 and on going stories of strange goings on up and down the Flats. Both vocalizations and sighting reports, myself and other researchers have been spending a great deal of time searching up and down the flats looking for footprint evidence of a sasquatch in the area. Ken Kristen and Zoli found what appear to be diggings in which fresh water clams have been dug up from the sand and eaten? John Kirk and myself were out on the flats with a Of film crew when we thought, we might have come across a lone footprint which we later determined was a trick of nature.

One week later Sebastian Wang and myself came across a line of what appeared to be barefoot tracks in a wet hollow along the bush line at the north end of the flats. Five prints in all the first three being the clearest. Prints measured 12 1/2 inches in length. They did appear to barefoot tracks, which is what drew my attention to them in the first place. The stride was 44 and a quarter inch. The step was much shorter than that, Track 1 to track 2, 21 inches. Track 2 to track 3, 18 inches. I had the thought that the track maker was going out of his way to avoid standing on the stones, which littered the ground at this area.

I can not say with any assurance that these are the footprints of a young Sasquatch. Nor can I say they would be human. They did appear to have been there for quite sometime, possibly before the snowstorm, which hit the area a week before.

Thomas Steenburg

UPDATE: April 5th, 2006

Today Gerry Mathews and myself were on the Chehalis Flats again doing ongoing investigations concerning happenings near Eagle estates on the Chehalis flats. We witnessed a coyote emitting a sound which I have never heard a coyote emit before. It was what recorded and is now known as the Chehalis sounds. What we al thought must be sounds coming from the sasquatch we all now have admit is a rare noise made by coyotes. Also this does not hold well for many very similar sounds recorded over the last 30 years from Northern California to southwest BC

This of course does not mean that every sound report is from the same source, only what has been recorded so far. As well sightings of the creature as well as footprints continue to be found.

Thomas Steenburg

UPDATE; April 21,2006

Our discovery has caused a great deal of clamour and debate in the Sasquatch research ranks. These sounds were very similar to several recorded noises going back 33 years. All of these previous recordings have now to be re-examined and studied.

Thomas Steenburg.

https://soundcloud.c...te-with/s-m15oR

hey norse, yep, some things are exactly as they sound, and some not. My witness includes some incredible events, the most notable the "Whistle Serenade" ..(see habituating..not sure when, maybe page 10?) and I can say confidently BFs (or some) are able to mimic most sounds, even better than most humans.

Over the four years I spent a great deal of attention on the ambient sounds and also as it related to the BFs (sans direct interaction..which did happen!) and am quite convinced when in ear shot of humans (or concerned for stealth) they rely on mimicry....from common birds and animals that elicit no attention from us, to down right spooky stuff meant for us to hear....

prove it you say? LOL right...can't, as right now even if i find an objective difference in a recording I think mimicry ( b/c BFs do not exist ) i can't get the ornithologists to consider that possibility and those anomalies become anomalies (or new normals) for those species.....quite a quandary!

I also know that humans have been recorded in mimicry and the results indistinguishable from the animal, notably "wolf man" (forgot his name).

So, I supplied a link of a coyote pack howl, typical and yet on this one four whoops seem to end the chorus. I did think there was a synergistic (or opportunistic) relationship btw BFs and coyotes...perhaps the scavenging...perhaps just pests to BFs...couldn't say....

Those four whoops were detailed out by a fellow BFer and they are interesting see below:

https://soundcloud.c...nhanced/s-L8pUi

my imgination says the BF decided either, go away coyotes/shut up...or leave, I am finishing off that meal? i don't know....

so yep. you are right..these things can be the expected species, but when one is in the field and able to ferret out a few things, or over time, the attention to suspected mimicry needs to be on everyone's mind out there...

will it lead to "proof" doubt it for reasons mentioned, but it will inform the researcher in the field, in ways unavailable tracking or with cameras, etc....

something you could do that might be interesting record yourself executing your best coyotes yips, barks and howls....and compare...might be illuminating, or not! Study recently concluded over 80% accuracy identifying individual coyote from their howl, yips and barks not so much.

that middle link sounds yote ish to me as well Instead of a whoop it might be a yiiip at long distance.

I think I need to start recording my pack on my ranch, and go from there.

norseman, this recording is from the Chehalis Sounds investigation of 2006. Also file report #10150, the first update of April 5 2006 concerns the coyote

Thomas Steenburg

chehalis1(1).wav

THE CHEHALIS SOUNDS INVESTIGATION

B.C. File: 10150

Location: Chehalis flats, near Tapadra Estates, British Columbia

Date: March 2006

Report by: Thomas Steenburg

On follow up investigations concerning the Chehalis recordings by the Davies from their porch of Feb 1st 2005 and on going stories of strange goings on up and down the Flats. Both vocalizations and sighting reports, myself and other researchers have been spending a great deal of time searching up and down the flats looking for footprint evidence of a sasquatch in the area. Ken Kristen and Zoli found what appear to be diggings in which fresh water clams have been dug up from the sand and eaten? John Kirk and myself were out on the flats with a Of film crew when we thought, we might have come across a lone footprint which we later determined was a trick of nature.

One week later Sebastian Wang and myself came across a line of what appeared to be barefoot tracks in a wet hollow along the bush line at the north end of the flats. Five prints in all the first three being the clearest. Prints measured 12 1/2 inches in length. They did appear to barefoot tracks, which is what drew my attention to them in the first place. The stride was 44 and a quarter inch. The step was much shorter than that, Track 1 to track 2, 21 inches. Track 2 to track 3, 18 inches. I had the thought that the track maker was going out of his way to avoid standing on the stones, which littered the ground at this area.

I can not say with any assurance that these are the footprints of a young Sasquatch. Nor can I say they would be human. They did appear to have been there for quite sometime, possibly before the snowstorm, which hit the area a week before.

Thomas Steenburg

UPDATE: April 5th, 2006

Today Gerry Mathews and myself were on the Chehalis Flats again doing ongoing investigations concerning happenings near Eagle estates on the Chehalis flats. We witnessed a coyote emitting a sound which I have never heard a coyote emit before. It was what recorded and is now known as the Chehalis sounds. What we al thought must be sounds coming from the sasquatch we all now have admit is a rare noise made by coyotes. Also this does not hold well for many very similar sounds recorded over the last 30 years from Northern California to southwest BC

This of course does not mean that every sound report is from the same source, only what has been recorded so far. As well sightings of the creature as well as footprints continue to be found.

Thomas Steenburg

UPDATE; April 21,2006

Our discovery has caused a great deal of clamour and debate in the Sasquatch research ranks. These sounds were very similar to several recorded noises going back 33 years. All of these previous recordings have now to be re-examined and studied.

Thomas Steenburg.

That's a pretty bad recording, but it sounds like a coyote to me

This is reportedly a fox but I have heard a coyote do the same thing..........if this was a hound dog I'd call it a "chop". But its just a singular sound that has a crescendo to it with no barks leading up to it or anything like that.

This one is cougar screams that has a very similar "chop" to a coyote or a fox.

Not to toss another thread in here, but listen to the Minnesota Howls on that thread. Thoughts?

http://bigfootforums...wls-23-minutes/

As I mentioned in that post, it sounds like wolf to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGZbjKwqy0

Going through this FB/FB compilation this is my opinion for what its worth:

1) Owl

2) No idea

3) Coyote

4) Coyote

5) Dog

6) Coyote

7) Coyote

8 ) A freakin monster

9) Dog

10) Mississippi recording is too bad for me to say

11) Coyote

12) Coyote

Number two is compelling if real, if I heard that in the woods I would be curious. Number eight if real would scare the lunch right out of me. That low grumble at the end is very compelling........it almost sounds like a grunt a bull elk would make, without the apeish howler monkey stuff before.

Edited by norseman

That makes sense because a moose is a huge animal! I'll have to take a listen. When I was living in Maine, I was very disappointed to never have seen a moose.... I really hoped to see one! It was the only thing disappointing about Maine.

We have them right here in our state Maddy. If you get a chance to head over into NE Oregon you may very well get an opportunity to see one in the Wenaha, Walla Walla, or Mt. Emily game units... We have a population of around 60 or so animals and they should keep growing unless the wolf population continues growing and gets out of control...

Edited by Amahnee

yes, even over into central Idaho, nw wyoming and then up into my neck of the woods in the panhandle, ne washington, and nw montana.

Suprisingly even nw north dakota has moose, I saw two cows about 2 months ago.

I've had the "pleasure" of hearing this at night when a Barred Owl really got going.
Myself and my hunting partner were in a field at night doing locator calls for turkey prior to the next days hunt.
In case you don't know turkey will spontaneously gobble while on roost to owl calls.
So we where throwing down some "who cooks for you"s when this owl went nuts and at the time sounded like a monkey that was really pissed off!
We looked at each other, with the "didn't bring a gun look" and said time to go!!
This site has some great recordings..

I love barred owls..........but my favorite bird in the woods that reminds me of home is the swainson's thrush.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
Please don't quote the post immeditely preceding

• 8 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread because I've been listening to a lot of animal noises lately and found a couple interesting ones.

First is a bear making 'whoop' sounds that are very similar to what people are claiming to be Bigfoot (listen at about :27 seconds):

Also is a recording of mountain lions. At 1:45 there are whistles that sound like what people have described as being Bigfoot:

Another animal mistaken for a Squatch- the Lynx. They even sound like they're forming words.

Maybe we could start a database of this kind of stuff here for identification?

Edited by roguefooter

One thing that is being made too much of, I believe, is sounds made by an alleged animal.

It's true that many sounds are like nothing the witness has ever heard; there seem to be some consistent descriptions; people have pronounced alleged bigfoot sound recordings identical to what they heard; etc.

But there seem to be virtually no reports of anyone actually watching one of these animals make a sound.  That is, well, problematical.  Doesn't mean anything except:  we can speculate.  But it's a little early to say we know.

Another animal mistaken for a Squatch- the Lynx. They even sound like they're forming words.

**Removal of previously-posted video**

Maybe we could start a database of this kind of stuff here for identification?

Anyone one who has spent significant time outside their house in the city, or out in the boonies would know in a heart beat those sounds were made by cats. 

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
Removal of previously-posted video

^Gotta love the 'super outdoorsman' chest thumping..

I think it's pretty obvious that a majority of 'Bigfooters' don't spend much time outdoors, so a sound reference guide would be a good idea.

• Upvote 1

roguefooter , I guess you could say that if you throw everyone who is interested in BF into one pile and label it ,, BIGFOOTERS,,.   LOL :biggrin:

Researchers such as me and Branco for example spend many days in the outdoors each year.

I have seen a bobcat makes very similar sounds to the what is in that video, I seen a yote harassing and trailing a bobcat witch was dragging dead tom turkey between it's legs, by the way seen this from my tree stand, not from a TV .