Share A Picture Or Experience From The Outdoors

Guest tracker

Had a "now it's funny" last night.

Weather was fixin' to get cooler here so I've been burning small downfall fires in our firepit so we had some nice outdoor time in the evening.

It's now dark before Skip gets home when he's working days (he's on a swing shift) and last month we'd had one of these small fires when we heard a series of 3 loud knocks very close behind us but saw nothing when we finally could react.

Last night, before he got home, I had a small fire started and I hear slow, steady footsteps that were directly behind me. I turn around, shine the LED headlamp...nothing! I hear the "footsteps" again and shine the headlamp lower to the ground only to find a huge wood toad managing to catch the fallen dead leaves with every leap he made. :lol:

Guest tracker

Had a "now it's funny" last night.

Weather was fixin' to get cooler here so I've been burning small downfall fires in our firepit so we had some nice outdoor time in the evening.

It's now dark before Skip gets home when he's working days (he's on a swing shift) and last month we'd had one of these small fires when we heard a series of 3 loud knocks very close behind us but saw nothing when we finally could react.

Last night, before he got home, I had a small fire started and I hear slow, steady footsteps that were directly behind me. I turn around, shine the LED headlamp...nothing! I hear the "footsteps" again and shine the headlamp lower to the ground only to find a huge wood toad managing to catch the fallen dead leaves with every leap he made. :lol:

Crunchy ground litter can make everything sound like a family of huge Sasquatches sneaking up on you.biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tracker

Heart Lake Yellowstone NP

c256cf0b.jpg

Hey great pics, any signs or recent reports of Sasq @ YNP?

An old Mill near me which has been converted into a tea house with a view of the rapids.

DSCF0020.jpg

The water level is lower these day since they built a dam up stream.

DSCF0019.jpg

Guest Cervelo

Tracker,

It was kinda strange during my whole trip I gave very little thought to the big guy. I didn't record at all ( which is very odd) and was just too in awe of it all to give much thought. Plus they give you a great case of Bearanoia in yellowstone! The Minnesota portion of my trip really had the most promise but I didn't cover much solid ground there.

Guest tracker

Tracker,

It was kinda strange during my whole trip I gave very little thought to the big guy. I didn't record at all ( which is very odd) and was just too in awe of it all to give much thought. Plus they give you a great case of Bearanoia in yellowstone! The Minnesota portion of my trip really had the most promise but I didn't cover much solid ground there.

You know when I first entered the Rockies and the Cascades Mtn's I was taking pictures of everything. Your like "wow everything is so beautiful and picture perfect". After a while you realize you can't capture it all or do it justice with a camera. So you just try to soak it all in. I spent a small fortune on developing expenses. Now everything is free with digital cams, computers and home printers. dry.gif

Here's a nice shot of our river.

Winters back! smile.gif

DSCF0211.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I came across 2 interesting areas this spring that appeared to be torn up pretty good the prior fall. Large rocks were moved, small and largers trees were broken off and one tree seems thrown onto the trail. It also looks like a small spruce tree with the root ball was planted on the torn up area. The other area was about 1/2 mile away and was similar except there was a broken branch over it about 12 feet high. There were no heavy animal indentations in the soil of either area. Also, no sign of a human being responsible. The only animal that I can think of would be a moose as they are very large, strong, and inhabit my area. I do see quite a bit of moose sign, but nothing like this. This area gets almost no humans until the November firearm deer season. Anyway, I will post some pics and let me know if you are familiar with this type of sign. UPs

Guest tracker

I came across 2 interesting areas this spring that appeared to be torn up pretty good the prior fall. Large rocks were moved, small and largers trees were broken off and one tree seems thrown onto the trail. It also looks like a small spruce tree with the root ball was planted on the torn up area. The other area was about 1/2 mile away and was similar except there was a broken branch over it about 12 feet high. There were no heavy animal indentations in the soil of either area. Also, no sign of a human being responsible. The only animal that I can think of would be a moose as they are very large, strong, and inhabit my area. I do see quite a bit of moose sign, but nothing like this. This area gets almost no humans until the November firearm deer season. Anyway, I will post some pics and let me know if you are familiar with this type of sign. UPs

Yea if definitively looks like something? was rearranging the landscaping. That tree appears to be yanked up and out? And how did those mid size branches get into the middle of the path? Moose don't do that. Anyone else want to have a go at causes?

JMO T, dry.gif

Also, if not moose, what? Kind of looks like a digging of some kind. Test area for mining? No heavy equipement tracks anywhere though. Meteor? The is another similar area about 1/2 mile away and also off this same trail. When I took a look at them this summer, they were mostly overgrown. I hate it when I cannot figure out sign in the woods.....UPs

• 1 month later...
Guest Cervelo

Found this shelter in Shenadoah National Park it is manmade (many saw cuts) but maybe biggie use's tools so I'm going to say biggie made it! Prove me wrong! LOL that's fun!! Anywho it's about 5 miles in on Rip Rap trail. The interesting part is we had to go about 200yds up a creek to find a dry crossing and came across it.

Kinda cool!

e9e7feb8.jpg

BFF Patron

Found this shelter in Shenadoah National Park it is manmade (many saw cuts) but maybe biggie use's tools so I'm going to say biggie made it! Prove me wrong! LOL that's fun!! Anywho it's about 5 miles in on Rip Rap trail. The interesting part is we had to go about 200yds up a creek to find a dry crossing and came across it.

Kinda cool!

e9e7feb8.jpg

Looks like the flooded or decayed remains of a previous footbridge perhaps (improvised)?