Share A Picture Or Experience From The Outdoors

Guest tracker

Guest toejam

Thanks very much. I was thrilled to see one for the first time.

Maybe I'll get lucky next time I go back and get some still shots.

Cheers

T.J.

Guest tracker

Thanks very much. I was thrilled to see one for the first time.

Maybe I'll get lucky next time I go back and get some still shots.

Cheers

T.J.

Yea that's cool seeing them they are kinda shy. Hey ever see a fisher or wolverine?

Guest tracker

I got real close to a Fisher that was hunting a cat 5 minutes walk up the road 2 autumns ago. Sam and me chased it off so that cat owes me one of it's lives. smile.gif

Guest toejam

Hey Tracker. Nope, haven't seen either. Hope I get to in the near future and am able to get some good shots. They're definitely on my list!

I've been checking out a piece of property for someone who was a longtime client of mine when I was surveying a lot, now that it has cooled of some around here (95 degrees vs 115, lol). Yesterday I listened as a large Eastern diamondback caught and swallowed a cottontail rabbit, then I visually checked to see if I was reading the sounds correctly (I was).

Today I walked some game trails, and as I was checking for sign in a shady spot under some oaks, I stepped next to a yellow jacket nest and they attacked me. I did not realize they were on me until it was too late, and they even went into my boots and up my left pant leg. They chased me for about 100 yards. Needless to say, I have taken 100 mg of benadryl, and am about to go to bed for a while. My wife has the epi pen (sp?) out just in case. I got stung on my ankle, knee, thigh, hand, and ear, all multiple times. Wait until those little devils see what I have in store for them tomorrow! :mad:

Btw, in case anyone is wondering, the diamondback was about 5 ft +/-, which is a good mature snake, Without the rabbit in it, it would likely weigh 4.5 lbs or so, which is very thick and massive.

Here's a picture of a half eaten apple with childlike teeth marks, that was under the tree this morning. Just before dark last night, I picked up all the apples that were on the ground & threw them over the fence to the cows. This morning, there appeared to be several missing from the tree, & this one was on the ground.

I had heard pebbles hitting the roof last night, along with some other noises & thought I probably had visitors.

Apple8911.jpg?t=1312915936

Guest tracker

I've been checking out a piece of property for someone who was a longtime client of mine when I was surveying a lot, now that it has cooled of some around here (95 degrees vs 115, lol). Yesterday I listened as a large Eastern diamondback caught and swallowed a cottontail rabbit, then I visually checked to see if I was reading the sounds correctly (I was).

Today I walked some game trails, and as I was checking for sign in a shady spot under some oaks, I stepped next to a yellow jacket nest and they attacked me. I did not realize they were on me until it was too late, and they even went into my boots and up my left pant leg. They chased me for about 100 yards. Needless to say, I have taken 100 mg of benadryl, and am about to go to bed for a while. My wife has the epi pen (sp?) out just in case. I got stung on my ankle, knee, thigh, hand, and ear, all multiple times. Wait until those little devils see what I have in store for them tomorrow! :mad:

Btw, in case anyone is wondering, the diamondback was about 5 ft +/-, which is a good mature snake, Without the rabbit in it, it would likely weigh 4.5 lbs or so, which is very thick and massive.

Been swarmed before, I hate those ones. dry.gif

Guest tracker

Here's a picture of a half eaten apple with childlike teeth marks, that was under the tree this morning. Just before dark last night, I picked up all the apples that were on the ground & threw them over the fence to the cows. This morning, there appeared to be several missing from the tree, & this one was on the ground.

I had heard pebbles hitting the roof last night, along with some other noises & thought I probably had visitors.

Apple8911.jpg?t=1312915936

Interesting but they wasted alot of apple. kids dry.gif

Guest Biggie

Today I walked some game trails, and as I was checking for sign in a shady spot under some oaks, I stepped next to a yellow jacket nest and they attacked me.

Wow. I remember we just talked about that very thing around a month ago too. That is one of my worst fears in the woods.

What creative way can you think of dispatching them that would bring you the most pleasure? Kill 'em all.

Wow. I remember we just talked about that very thing around a month ago too. That is one of my worst fears in the woods.

What creative way can you think of dispatching them that would bring you the most pleasure? Kill 'em all.

If there wasn't a risk of burning the woods down too, I'd pour gas down the hole and fire bomb them! Lol. As it is, I'm going to spray several cans of wasp & hornet spray in their nest hole. I did not go back this morning like I thought I would. I got a bad migraine yesterday afternoon, I suppose from all the stings (I get really bad migraines anyway, I suppose from the MS, and all kinds of things trigger them), and I did not get any relief from it until about an hour or so ago, so I've just laid around all day today. Hopefully I will feel good in the morning and will let those yellow jackets have it then! I left some of my things out in the woods near their nest, because when they started attacking me I just threw everything down and ran, lol.

Sorry to hear that,Surveyor. There's a 1930s newspaper report of an eastern Nebraskan innocently walking near a riverbank. His leg unexpectedly fell through a hollow in the ground, and he dropped up to his waist into a hole created by a hornet nest. By the time the poor devil extricated himself and fled, he was fatally stung. There are some tough ways to go, but that one stays in the back of my mind. ::shudders::

Guest Biggie

I got a bad migraine yesterday afternoon

Do you drink a bunch of sodas? My body was too acidic since I drank nothing but sodas but when I stopped drinking them and drank water instead then my migraines went away.

Do you drink a bunch of sodas? My body was too acidic since I drank nothing but sodas but when I stopped drinking them and drank water instead then my migraines went away.

I don't drink any at all. I take topomax (a migraine preventative) and it makes all of them taste flat. I didn't drink them very often before that anyway.

Guest tracker

The weather is getting cooler up here. So with that in mind who else is planning expeditions once all the bugs are gone??

pic5.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest tracker

Sunset pic from one of my recent adventures n/e Ontario. Hey, no poaching mad.gif

DSCF0013-1.jpg

Edited by tracker