What Have You Learned On The Bff?

Guest COGrizzly

What have I learned?  That the majority of earnest question or observation posts get highjacked by a skeptic or two or three in short order.  Maybe BFF could add a drop down box that says "I'm A Skeptic" and include a few canned buttons as to why the believer is wrong. Save everyone bandwidth & time...

That after my first bad experience with a "research organization", back in the early 90s, I was wise to take the advice of a buddy in the field who told me it was best to go & stay independent.  the jealousy & backbiting I found in/on the first BF research organization & forum I joined back in the early 90s is alive & well today.  If anything it's even worse nowdays as it also has the vehicles of social media, Youtube, internet radio, even on cable television...

I didn't hijack the thread. I responded with a genuine observation that went directly to the originally posted question. I haven't learned anything about Bigfoot since coming here other than he most likely does not exist. I did learn, however, all about habituators and their beliefs and, well, their complaints when those beliefs are questioned. 

I haven't learned anything about Bigfoot since coming here other than he most likely does not exist. 

No, you came here with that in mind...because there's no possible way any objective person could look at the volumes of information available here (and elsewhere) and reach that conclusion.  The worst that one could conclude would be that there is insufficient evidence to conclusively prove that it does.

SSR Team

Wonderfully put as per usual Mr Mulder..

I can honestly say that spending time on these forums has had the effect on me that I am now definitely LESS inclined to believe the average joe sixpack eyewitness testimony than I was before I came here.

BFF Patron

I've learned that DNA and sasquatch mix like oil and water.

I also have learned that the forum goes through growing pains just like the rest of industry, society, families and individuals but usually serves a purpose and we are better for it.

Without the forum, few witnesses with questions and sighting details would be able to gather confirmatory validity about the nature of their observations among those similarly situated to have been fortunate enough to have experienced a sighting.

Some have learned enough to have predictive validity about the how and whys that  facilitated greater likelihood of having a Class A BF sighting.

I have seen little damage to serious research from alternative theories discussions of high strangeness and the highest strangeness is the canard that such makes science "less" likely to advance the cause of Sasquatch.  

The best part of BFF for me are the people willing to discuss their BF experiences.  

Plussed Slick Trick and NDT.  

Not much to add to the many reasons listed above. 

Edited by apehuman

I've learned that the dead horse will not get up no matter how hard or how many times you beat it. lol

And some topics just make my head hurt, some very educated members here.

• Upvote 1

thank you apehuman, & lol, yes daveedoe the dead horse is well tenderized by now  thsmiley_deadhorse.gif  , what with the circular nature of these discussions.

ive also learned that no matter how benign or carefully worded a post is, there is a doggone good chance somebody will completely misread it, get insulted & read way more into it than you would've thought possible, out in the open forum or in a pm.........how it might go over is anyones guess .

Edited by slicktrick

I've learned that bigfoot is pretty much unproven to exist.

Especially to those who think they saw one.

" 'No proof' is a fact. But that is irrelevant."

That pretty much sums it up.

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think I ended up learning more about Bigfootery than Bigfoot itself, but I did learn a few things about Bigfoot (the real thing) as well. The Patterson film was an area of interest for me the past year and it was always a pleasure learning as much as I can about why the film has stuck around. I've now reached a realization that the evidence for Bigfoot's existence isn't strong enough yet to get the scientific attention it needs, but I'm sure the day will one day come that it is. I just hope I'm around when it happens :blink:

I came to the BFF, because of not only my experience but because I was basically driven off of another forum because of my views.

It can get rough here sometimes, and I can certainly loose my cool, but I think that the BFF serves a important function for those of us who are compelled to believe in Sasquatch or the possibility of it's existence. Thanks BFF!

I think also the skeptics here serve a function as well, they help keep the issue real as it can be considering we are talking about a myth.

If I could add some constructive criticism I would like to see debates that are a little more grounded in facts and stats than just name calling, I"m right and your wrong debates or the typical pink unicorn straw man arguments. Just elevate the game a bit and instead of posting one liners 20 times, take the time, research what your going to say, compile it and post a really good single post.

Also, if your opponent makes a good point, acknowledge it! You do not have to concede the point by doing so..........anyhow I'm off tangent abit.

What have I learned? 

1) I've fleshed out the different mindsets within Bigfootdom while here. What they believe, why they believe it.........etc.

2) I've learned that there are skeptics out there that take a interest in this subject. Why? I have not quite figured that out yet.

3) I've learned that for many people Sasquatch is a symbol as much as it is a living creature. It's a symbol of what man has forgotten and no longer stands for. Heavy stuff.......

4) Most importantly I've learned that my mindset is not alone in the universe........there are proponents out there willing to do what it takes to get this mystery solved. Which is exhilarating to know!

Guest wudewasa

I've learned that there are some amazing people on this forum that are extremely literate and experienced in a variety of subjects, and they freely share their knowledge with me.  This is highly appreciated and keeps me coming back. 

I've also learned that there are also some folks on here that discard critical thought for whatever they want to believe and will discredit any and all forms of inquiry as an attack on their beliefs.  They seem to be getting more brazen and zealous in their beliefs.

So, I've learned that there are people who keep me here and others that make me want to walk away from this place for good.  I've learned that there are people that I could meet up with at a conference and others that we had best steer clear from one another. 

I'm not sure what I want to learn on these forums anymore, lol!

I learned more than I thought possible about body lice, and was amazed at the knowledge that certain species of lice only lived on certain species of animal, and in some cases if I remember correctly some individuals of species had their own personal species of lice. That from the Ketchum thread I believe. I learned there are many viewpoints about the subject, And some sharp people on both sides of this matter, although I am confused regarding skeptics' interest in this subject or any subject they probably think is ludicrous. Maybe they are just interested like me, whether they consider it possible or not, or perhaps they enjoy the debate and interpersonal attributes of the different personalities of the different views. But mostly lice. :_(