Why Cover Up Big Foot?

Guest Grifter9931

Hypothetical Scenario:

Government ignores Bigfoot just enough to make Bigfooters think they must be covering it up.  Thereby ensuring tourist (Bigfooter) dollars are spent in out of the way places, bolstering struggling tourist economies.

If they actually took the time to make  a statement that Bigfoot did not exist, they would put a dagger through the heart of economies of small towns in NoCal, Oregon and Washington.   

Edited by Drew

No, it wouldn't.  A statement of non existence would be even more proof than ignoring it.   Such a statement would strengthen those local economies, not harm them.   The most they could do to impact the economies is exactly what they're doing ... ignore it.  

Not sure where you live.  Maybe you have to be at ground zero to understand this.

MIB

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
Please do not quote the directly preceding post

True Things:

1) Red wolves are being bread and released by the government. I'm not sure if all the release locations are disclosed but some are.

2) Cougars are at least passing through many Eastern states, whether they are permanent residents is for someone else.

3) Many once endangered or at least scarce critters are making dramatic come backs.

4} There is at least one other biologist making a compelling New World primate argument for bigfoot.

5) The government is not good at keeping secrets.

1. Red Wolves are breeding with Coyotes.  Releasing them would not help their situation.

3. Please give some examples

4. who is this?

5. and how would you know this? hmm?

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC

Sasfooty provided the answer to the original question in post #7, but Cotter's post on the last page expanded on it well.

Guest Urkelbot

I don't understand from the conspiracy people who in the government exactly is calling the shots?  Maybe people think the X-files is real. When Obama got elected was he shuttled aside and informed of the secret of bigfoot or when he became a Senator?  

The military makes no sense at all what realistic bigfoot military applications are there?  Unless you believe they are creating bigfoot/human hybrids to fight our wars.  The people running the forest service are mostly scientists who became scientists because they wanted to discover things not cover them up.

The only point that makes some sense is natural resource restrictions if Bigfoot got out to the public.  But the US government has passed several laws in the past which protect the environment.  The spotted owl drastically reduced timber operations in the pacific northwest that would have been much easier to cover up.  Certainly congressmen or senators would champion the cause of bigfoot if for no other reason than to get votes.

I could see a conspiracy within a mining or timber corporation who found a nest of bigfoot and covered it up or simply ignored it but thats about it.

Simple answer here folks: knowledge is power. Especially knowledge that is special/hidden/restricted/on-a-need-to-know-basis.

You might ask, obviously, what good is that knowledge if no one knows you have it?  Well, for the people that are attracted by this sort of power, the self-knowledge that you know more than than the general public, and that the knowledge is "special" is all it takes to keep it secret. Doesn't take any special conspiracy. Like minds think alike, and shazam, before you know it, there is an unintended "conspiracy" between the many people who might be or are aware of this knowledge to hide the knowledge from everyone else that "doesn't need to know." They become a member of the exclusive "club" that has access to this "special"  knowledge.

Does this sound like any government bureaucrats that you have encountered? (And no, I am not maligning government employees in general. I am just saying that government service can attract people that are seduced by/addicted to this sort of power. I have worked in government. I knew many, many people like this, particularly at the higher levels. As an aside, I saw a LOT of bureaucrats at the state level in environmental compliance that were like this.)

I think it is as simple as that.

Guest Urkelbot

A group of people high up in the government who get off on the secret knowledge that they know bigfoot exists?  It doesn't really count as power unless it can be leveraged into something.

Its not like knowledge of an upcoming regime change in a country or a swing in the stock market.

Knowledge of whats being served for lunch at the cafeteria is power but not really all that much power.

Edited by Urkelbot

Urkel, I think you missed my point about military usefulness.  How do you think that night vision technology was developed?  I would guess (truly a guess) that it was from studying the mechanics of biological eyes, then attempting to replicate and improve said mechanism.

There's rumblings that the military has/is developed/ing a contact lens that aids in night vision.  Has the military admitted this?  How long do you think this was in development?  5 years, 10 years?  How about the U2 bomber?  How long was that spying on Russia, and DENIED by the gov't that we were spying on em, before one crashed?  I agree over time, the truth USUALLY comes out, but how long.  5 years, 50? 100?  We may just be in the successful secret keeping stage of this phenom. 

dmaker - man, it'd be great to hang w/you sometime and pound a couple molson's.  Our apprach on thinking through scenarios are purt near polar opposites.  It's very logical to me to see how natural resources could be disrupted (if only for a short period), causing money loss to the owners.  These same owners that pull the trees, oil, minerals from the land have VERY deep pockets and VERY determined lobbyists.  It is logical to me to see how they would, and can, spin politics and gov't in their favor.  Ignoring and cover-up are different, but similar in this case.

ANYWAY.  As a proponent, I hope to have the 'i told you so' moment sometime....over a beer.

Guest guillaume

If the government was half as vile as many have suggested in this thread, bigfoot would've been simply exterminated decades ago.

A group of people high up in the government who get off on the secret knowledge that they know bigfoot exists?  It doesn't really count as power unless it can be leveraged into something.

Not always. That is extremely short-term thinking. Some "bank" this sort of information for the long-term, even though they don't know when or how it might ultimately be used. But they do think it will ultimately be useful to them, in some way, shape for form. You have to think very long-term... ;)

If the government was half as vile as many have suggested in this thread, bigfoot would've been simply exterminated decades ago.

And why? What would the government gain by extermination? Always think in terms of gain: money, influence, power, etc. BF would be much more useful alive and in their sphere of "control" rather than dead and gone, with no one knowing about them.

Guest Urkelbot

If bigfoot has night vision it would be the same method as all other animals with tapetum lucidum. 

Interesting assertion but can you prove it?   That's an assumption, no more, no less.  Might be right, might be wrong.  If wrong, it might explain a lot.  I think it would be safer to clearly and deliberately present it as an assumption, even as a most likely right answer, but 'til proven, keep an open mind and an eye to both the possibility and the possible implications of being wrong.

In other words, in this bigfoot biz, there are no givens.  Our assumptions of what should be seem to be failing us.   We simply don't know what we're dealing with and until we do, assertions based on knowledge we don't have are .. premature.

MIB 

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC

Urkel, I think you missed my point about military usefulness.  How do you think that night vision technology was developed?  I would guess (truly a guess) that it was from studying the mechanics of biological eyes, then attempting to replicate and improve said mechanism.

There's rumblings that the military has/is developed/ing a contact lens that aids in night vision.  Has the military admitted this?  How long do you think this was in development?  5 years, 10 years?  How about the U2 bomber?  How long was that spying on Russia, and DENIED by the gov't that we were spying on em, before one crashed?  I agree over time, the truth USUALLY comes out, but how long.  5 years, 50? 100?  We may just be in the successful secret keeping stage of this phenom. 

dmaker - man, it'd be great to hang w/you sometime and pound a couple molson's.  Our apprach on thinking through scenarios are purt near polar opposites.  It's very logical to me to see how natural resources could be disrupted (if only for a short period), causing money loss to the owners.  These same owners that pull the trees, oil, minerals from the land have VERY deep pockets and VERY determined lobbyists.  It is logical to me to see how they would, and can, spin politics and gov't in their favor.  Ignoring and cover-up are different, but similar in this case.

ANYWAY.  As a proponent, I hope to have the 'i told you so' moment sometime....over a beer.

Anytime, Cotter. But I might want to change it to Rolling Rock instead of Molson's :)