Why Cover Up Big Foot?

Guest Grifter9931

I don't understand from the conspiracy people who in the government exactly is calling the shots?  

Maybe people think the X-files is real. When Obama got elected was he shuttled aside and informed of the secret of bigfoot or when he became a Senator?  

The military makes no sense at all what realistic bigfoot military applications are there?  Unless you believe they are creating bigfoot/human hybrids to fight our wars.  The people running the forest service are mostly scientists who became scientists because they wanted to discover things not cover them up.

The only point that makes some sense is natural resource restrictions if Bigfoot got out to the public.  But the US government has passed several laws in the past which protect the environment.  The spotted owl drastically reduced timber operations in the pacific northwest that would have been much easier to cover up.  Certainly congressmen or senators would champion the cause of bigfoot if for no other reason than to get votes.

I could see a conspiracy within a mining or timber corporation who found a nest of bigfoot and covered it up or simply ignored it but thats about it.

=== stepping into the mind of a conspiracy buff ==

Who is calling the shots?  Those people.  Over there.  you can't see them...but they are there. Trust me.

The X-File are real.  The show was a cover to make people who believe in the unexplained look ridiculous and stop bringing forward odd ideas.

=== now back to our normal programming  ===

I work in a state agency responsible for forestry and wildlife.

There is no government conspiracy.

There are too many civil service protections available to employees who speak with the media and too little justification to keep quiet.   People keep quiet about the military projects  because people can easily agree that these things need to be kept secret.  Sharing information can lead to people getting killed and enemies of the country being able to do it harm.

What is the harm in releasing proof that there is a small number of reclusive primates living in the deep woods?

For a state agency charged with protecting and conserving wild life? 

If there was proof of Sasquatch in the woods of Vermont...there would be a state program to study and protect them.  Where would this new program be housed?  In the state agency responsible for forestry and wildlife.

if the proof was there, it would be public fairly quickly.

Again and again, I've seen attempts by political appointees to contain embarassing information that they don't want released brought to nought because someone has access to it who feels the public needs to be informed and does so.   The political hacks get upset...but what are they going to do?  To really take action against someone covered by civil service laws...they have to prove that someone illegal was done.

I don't know of any state that has a law forbidding release of information about sasquatch to the public by a state employee.

Tim

Urkel, I think you missed my point about military usefulness.  How do you think that night vision technology was developed?  I would guess (truly a guess) that it was from studying the mechanics of biological eyes, then attempting to replicate and improve said mechanism.

A decent synopsis.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision_device

Edited by chelefoot
To remove political/religious content
  • Upvote 1

@OnlyaSize12:

I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but what have you come across, or been told, about not acknowledging Mountain Lions?

Who is not acknowledging Mountain Lions?

A lone mountain lion does not mean you have a population of Mountain Lions.

Lone males travel great distances, females do not.  Michigan has acknowledged that transient Mtn Lions are traveling through the state, from North Dakota.

Oklahoma is acknowledging that Mtn Lions are in the state, but not a significant population (males & females & babies) to make it a conservation matter.

@OnlyaSize12:

I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but what have you come across, or been told, about not acknowledging Mountain Lions?

Nothing.

The statement I've heard is that there are believed to be no resident mountain lions in Vermont. 

There are occasional sightings, which are believed to be cats moving through the state but not opting to live here.

Tim

If BF exists, the gov't knows about it.  Period.

There are indeed interests that would want to keep an undiscovered primate (presumably endangered) hidden.  Take a look at natural resources and energy.  Timber, all sorts of minerals, dams, power lines, highways, developments all would now be under scrutiny until the powers can get a handle on what this creature's population, habits, and requirements are.  The proverbial e-brake would get thown on a lot of projects.

Environmentalists and conservationists have power too. As norseman said, the USFWS would never allow this.

Also, if this creature is adept at seeing at night as is claimed, there's a TON of information within the eye structure the military would want to know about and utilize.

And they don't need to hide the creatures existence to do this. Just the projects.

Theres a public fear factor involved, a religious one as well. 

I think you're selling the public short.  Bigfoot is not a terrorist or an atomic bomb.

@Drew - Funny you should bring up North Dakota.....Back in 2002, in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park (Southern Unit).  My GF and I were packing in for an overnight stay in the petrified forest.  On the way out, we were walking down a trail along the Little Missouri River.  We happened to look up ahead and see, get this, a mountain lion standing in the middle of the river.  It was looking right at us, the unmistakable size and long tail just right out in the open.  In 1 bound it leapt from the water and into the brush along the river, to disappear.  After we got back to 'civilization' we headed up to the park headquarters, figuring that someone may want to know that a mtn lion was spotted along a hiking trail in the park.  We told the head ranger and literally got laughed at.  "There haven't been mountain lions in this park in over 20 years".  We knew what we saw and told him basically, well, they're here now.  Fast forward 10 years and the Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park has a Mountain Lion tagging program and multiple resident lions.  SO, Park Rangers in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in 2002 as an example.  Back about 6 or so years ago (give or take) around Janesville, WI, residents around my GF's parents' farm were claiming to be seeing a mountain lion.  I guess it was nabbing chickens and what-not along the way.  Guess what the WI was telling everyone?  "There are no Mountain Lions in Southern Wisconsin".  They were speculating large housecat, bobcat, etc.  Until one day, after a snow, a farmer found some prints.  Called the authorities and they tracked the darn thing and found it sleeping in a hay mow.  So, the Janesville area (SE WI) Wisconsin DNR Wardens for a second example. 

Fast forward again to last year.  A co-worker's wife saw a mountain lion cross their back yard, 50 feet from the kitchen window.  She called the DNR....guess what they said?  A couple weeks later, an older couple spotted a mountain lion about 1 mile from the original sighting.

One last fast forward, to 3 weeks ago.  JUST outside of a small town near Viroqua, WI.  A firefighter and his neighbor observed a juvenile mountain lion multiple times over a 3 day period, walking along a wood-line.  The last sighting they had, they walked toward it attempting to get a picture of it.  The lion saw them and crouched down in the weeds.  It only let them get about 50 yards from it before it figured out it was seen and ran into the woods.

Guess what the local DNR wardens are telling them?   SO now, we've got SW Unit WI DNR saying that.   Ignorance?  Cover-up?  Silence?  All very similar in this case.  But, lesson learned, the 'official' statement from state wildlife agencies is to be taken with a grain of sand.  Boots on the ground beat helicopter and spoor studies.

@Jerry - Do you know of any powerful conservation or environmental groups that have taken up the BF agenda?  (rhetorical)

They've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.  Also, do you not think that natural resource businesses didn't take a hit with the whole spotted owl deal?  Heck, there was a bridge near dubuque IA years back that got stopped in its tracks b/c of some weird clam or something or other.  Cost em millions more b/c they had to create a habitat for them somewhere else and relocate them.  These types of businesses don't want something of this uniqueness identified.  Proverbial e-brake man.

Additionally, the military surely would want to hide the creature.  Why acknowledge it so that our enemies can get their hands on one of em to learn for themselves?  IF indeed there are aspects of the BF's anatomy that is unique to itself and can be weaponized or the like.

And I think you are giving the public wayyyy too much credit.  Your impression of the average IQ of humanity is grossly exaggerated. 

Some of our very members here have been terrified enough by them to stop frequenting the woods for years.  Lots of folks would no doubt get their torches and pitchforks out if there isn't a plan in place to address these fears.  The gov't can be quite content right now just letting it ride by saying nothing, and intervening when it may get a bit hairy (pun intended). 

Anyway, you guys have a good weekend, tty Monday.

@Jerry - Do you know of any powerful conservation or environmental groups that have taken up the BF agenda?  (rhetorical)

If bigfoot exists and they had any indication that business interest groups were covering it up, they would take the cause.

Additionally, the military surely would want to hide the creature.  Why acknowledge it so that our enemies can get their hands on one of em to learn for themselves?  IF indeed there are aspects of the BF's anatomy that is unique to itself and can be weaponized or the like.

Now you're really overrating bigfoot. Does it have built in rocket launchers?

Some of our very members here have been terrified enough by them to stop frequenting the woods for years.  Lots of folks would no doubt get their torches and pitchforks out if there isn't a plan in place to address these fears.

Come on, you're being silly. You seriously think that a big ape would cause a great panic on the scale of War of the Worlds?

@Drew - Funny you should bring up North Dakota.....Back in 2002, in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park (Southern Unit).  My GF and I were packing in for an overnight stay in the petrified forest.  On the way out, we were walking down a trail along the Little Missouri River.  We happened to look up ahead and see, get this, a mountain lion standing in the middle of the river.  It was looking right at us, the unmistakable size and long tail just right out in the open.  In 1 bound it leapt from the water and into the brush along the river, to disappear.  After we got back to 'civilization' we headed up to the park headquarters, figuring that someone may want to know that a mtn lion was spotted along a hiking trail in the park.  We told the head ranger and literally got laughed at.  "There haven't been mountain lions in this park in over 20 years".  We knew what we saw and told him basically, well, they're here now.  Fast forward 10 years and the Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park has a Mountain Lion tagging program and multiple resident lions.  SO, Park Rangers in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in 2002 as an example.  Back about 6 or so years ago (give or take) around Janesville, WI, residents around my GF's parents' farm were claiming to be seeing a mountain lion.  I guess it was nabbing chickens and what-not along the way.  Guess what the WI was telling everyone?  "There are no Mountain Lions in Southern Wisconsin".  They were speculating large housecat, bobcat, etc.  Until one day, after a snow, a farmer found some prints.  Called the authorities and they tracked the darn thing and found it sleeping in a hay mow.  So, the Janesville area (SE WI) Wisconsin DNR Wardens for a second example. 

Nothing in this story proves that the state governments were covering up mountain lions.

I see a lot of the beliefs here based on what we see on tv.

Take the Sasquatch super soldier belief. This comes from the monster quest story about Stalin trying to produce hybrids that he could control and send into battle. Ape/human hybrids that is.

We are on the verge of giving soldiers what Mother Nature could never offer. Liquid armor, robotic exoskeletons, remote HUD weapon targeting so forth and so on.

The days of Stalin's human wave attacks are gone, and also I think his ideas about turning apes into soldiers. It was even a crackpot theory back then but certainly more viable than the modern battlefield today. A battlefield that will become more and more computerized and robotic in the decades to come.

No room for a primate IQ there.

Guest OntarioSquatch

There has to be a cover up. There just has to. 

*insert wild claim that can't be backed up*

There has to be a cover up. There just has to. 

*insert wild claim that can't be backed up*

Oh DO enlighten us about DARPA's newest programs !! maybe start a thread in the chit-chat section about ALL corners of every government program and prove Larry's idea wrong? Guess you knew about the Stealth tech way before we did but, ahem, decided to keep the information to yourself? :onthequiet:

I'll say this much though, our government deserves this sort of distrust from its citizenry.

Guest guillaume

Evidence is still required for a meaningful discussion.  Otherwise it's just idle commentary on whatever we pull from our back pockets.

Why would the government want to cover up BF? What would be the "end game"?

What would be the financial reasons or what would they gain by doing so, if not for monetary reasons?

There would be no need to cover up BF. It is just a meme put forth by proponents as a smoke screen. It is just weak sauce! 

Good morning Jerry, my repsonses in bold.

If bigfoot exists and they had any indication that business interest groups were covering it up, they would take the cause.

Except, in their eyes, BF does not exist.  Do you know of any enviro/eco groups that wave the BF flag?

Now you're really overrating bigfoot. Does it have built in rocket launchers?

Well, of course they don't.  But we don't know what they have, do we?  So, perhaps I'm not overrating anything, maybe I am.  Again, we don't know.  I could speculate all day. 

Come on, you're being silly. You seriously think that a big ape would cause a great panic on the scale of War of the Worlds?

No, b/c the folks in the city would care less about it.  May as well tell em that tigers are in the woods, they'll stay within the confines of their concrete jungle for the most part.  However, the rural folks....well, some would most definitely round up a posse to eradicate the 'different' animals in the woods.  They do this with unwanted critters all the time.  Wolves and Mtn Lions come to mind.  Legal or not, they're getting blasted by landowners and hunters.

Nothing in this story proves that the state governments were covering up mountain lions.

True, and I've said it before, perhaps 'cover-up' isn't the best term.  Not sharing info with other depts or the rank and file would give the crew plausible denial.  This would be easier than an active cover up.  They use terms like 'believe' and 'resident' to cover their butts if one does turn up.  My example was to show how, even though there ARE indeed animals of certain species in areas, the gov't entities involved with those species do not recognize them in the areas their spotted.  Whether or not there are directives or nefarious motives behind the denial.