Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

Guest Skunkapetracker

I have checked out your website and look forward to learning what you find in your research investigations.  Can you elaborate a little more on the urban sightings you have investigated?  Were these in or near smaller cities in Florida and did it appear that the Skunk Apes were looking for food when they came into the urban area?

Thanks for checking out my website!

What immediately springs to mind is the Wesley Chapel area Northwest of I-75 in the Cypress Creek flood area. There are a few small communities that border it. I have gone out there twice to investigate sightings and sounds. 

I found a few impression tracks that moved further North and East into the flood area, where there are definitely more food and water resources to take advantage of. However, this area is rather small to support multiple Skunk Apes, as the multiple sightings would suggest.

My theory is that I am seeing a West to East migration towards the Green Swamp Wilderness area, where a small family of Skunk Apes could live rather well concealed.

I have not gathered enough evidence yet to put anything solid behind my theory yet, but I am heading out there in June to do more field research. 

Just curious SAT (SkunkApeTracker)  have you any knowledge of sightings or vocalizations near Port Saint Lucie on the

Everglades side.  When I was down there for some of my PGA training I explored a few back roads at night and saw some

eye shine that looked quite tall and spread out, but it was about 1/4 mile away and was gone in a few seconds.   Any way

that area has no real sighting data, and I wonder if it is too far south without enough forested areas, or is that a misnomer

as it is in other parts of the country.

DWA, I could claim to be able to divine the truthfulness of an anonymous internet report just by reading it like some on here do but we all know that's impossible.

I sure hope I'd never be classified as one of those people.

One report is nothing.  Ten, nothing.  I could make up a pretty cool report.

But all the evidence I am aware of, ALL of it, being the result of something other than what it purports to be?  What would I bet on that?  I'd treasure a wood nickel too much to give it up on that bet.  As WSA puts it, people aren't that good, and we know it.

And that's what the scientist has to do, when the evidence falls short of absolute proof:  make a bet, and follow the bet.

No one who isn't thoroughly interested in this topic can get a PowerPoint that would satisfy him...although many here aren't, and think they can.

Edited by DWA

^^ Anecdotes, regardless of how many, do not fall short of absolute proof.  They are not even in the same ballpark. 

"No one who isn't thoroughly interested in this topic can get a PowerPoint that would satisfy him... " DWA

What does that mean? Only people who are really into bigfoot can truly appreciate the value of the "evidence"? Well, yes anyone who is emotionally invested in one outcome over the other can get as much confirmation bias as one wants while deep diving into the BFRO database.  That much should be very obvious.

• Upvote 2

Guest Skunkapetracker

Just curious SAT (SkunkApeTracker)  have you any knowledge of sightings or vocalizations near Port Saint Lucie on the

Everglades side.  When I was down there for some of my PGA training I explored a few back roads at night and saw some

eye shine that looked quite tall and spread out, but it was about 1/4 mile away and was gone in a few seconds.   Any way

that area has no real sighting data, and I wonder if it is too far south without enough forested areas, or is that a misnomer

as it is in other parts of the country.

That area of Florida would not really be ideal. Along the river maybe, and a little further East by the coast.

Owl eye shine can lead to misidentification if they are sitting on a low enough branch. 

Ok SAT, the river part makes sense, as far as you know the Miami area inland is dead? or is there activity in the Everglades?

I am eventually moving to Central Florida, need to be about an hour from Tampa...any suggestions around that area.  I know

there have been sightings north in ChiefLand, and around that green belt that has the springs running into the gulf.   It will be

hard to leave this house and the local Squatches, as they are my first experience.  Do not know if I will ever get that rush again,

it was like a whole new world was before me.  I guess it reinvigorated my sense of wonder.  I had thought I experienced most

everything and then.......well the rest is history.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I sure hope I'd never be classified as one of those people.

One report is nothing.  Ten, nothing.  I could make up a pretty cool report.

But all the evidence I am aware of, ALL of it, being the result of something other than what it purports to be?  What would I bet on that?  I'd treasure a wood nickel too much to give it up on that bet.  As WSA puts it, people aren't that good, and we know it.

And that's what the scientist has to do, when the evidence falls short of absolute proof:  make a bet, and follow the bet.

No one who isn't thoroughly interested in this topic can get a PowerPoint that would satisfy him...although many here aren't, and think they can.

Of course you are one of those people...you are basing your whole belief in the subject on it.

One, ten, ten thousand - what's the difference? How do I know you haven't made up many of the reports? What safeguards are in place to keep you from doing so? They are unverifiable and can't be trusted or tested. Do you believe in fairies due to the existence of sighting reports in Iceland? How about alien UFO sightings worldwide? Chupacabra? They don't even provide a starting point for further examination much less something concrete to argue over.

I agree people aren't always good - there are liars and hoaxers out there. Some will even state that calling 911 won't get a response to a call for help. It doesn't matter whether they are deliberately lying or unknowingly ignorant they are still wrong when they make such a statement and it's easy enough to prove unlike tracking down an anonymous bigfoot report where the best possible outcome is "it's possible".

Science CAN'T follow the evidence because it can't be trusted - simple as that. Evidence is testable and repeatable, not anonymous and anecdotal - even if it's on a bigfoot PowerPoint presented by Dr. Bindernagel. When the sightings reports/databases are used to allow Norseman or NAWAC to be in the right place at the right time to bring in a specimen for examination or Dr. Bindernagel to film a bigfoot in high def you can rightfully claim them as testable and repeatable evidence. Until then you only have stories which so far have been useless in obtaining any hard evidence and don't even rise to the results you'd expect from a part-time hunting or fishing guide. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have not been posting as much do to my work schedule, and generally having nothing new to add.  Yesterday I had a talk with my neighbor, I have only 4 on my little section of marsh.  The one directly to my left lives next to the small wooded area I heard what I believe was a mother sasquatch responding to her juvenile who was between our yards.  I think he is exposed to the phenomena but doesn't speak of it openly, having grown up on an orchard in the south with only farm and mostly open lands around him.  I asked if he has heard anything strange at night lately and he mentioned he heard something that sounded like "chatter" coming from the woods next to his driveway at 11:30pm the other night as he arrived home, and that later he heard some other strange sounds, he said maybe cat like, but couldn't describe, so he shined a light and got eye shine behind his stick pile, they were face on, but again he didn't really elaborate.  I'm trying not to push the issue too much as I know it seems uncomfortable, but I mentioned that in the south they call them boogers, and he knowingly laughed.  I guess he might suspect the same thing but only would give me a little info without openly agreeing we were talking about them.  I guess I better get back into the recording mode real quick here, and maybe again try to hide my Moultrie trail cam, who knows maybe they'll slip up. Also I confirmed it was not him banging on the tree at 3:30am warding off the coyotes, he said he just yells at them, as I already knew.  So I am even more perplexed that a squatch would do that in the middle of the night in a semi residential area, maybe they want to stir up more than the coyotes....like me.....

Guest lightheart

LC I think they count on the fact the the whole world sleeps deeply from 1:00 am  to about 4:00 am. I was really surprised to hear how much noise they were making during that time period one night. They were banging on stuff ,shouting, and just generally having a good ole time. LOL Most people are sleeping really deeply about that time. Something might wake them up but they would probably just disregard the noise and drift back to sleep. They own the night I think.

Good point lightheart, they probably have little concern of being discovered in those hours of the night, and I would not be surprised if they do try

to mess with people who are sleeping quietly in their homes.  Stan Courtney told me that just south of me someone had reported banging on their

house in the night.  I am guessing he might be referring to a farmer just south of me.  Well anyhow it is heating up as the temps climb and buds are opening. I suspect they are or will be coming thru for a while.....so stay tuned.....

Alright so I officially started my 2014 research at about 10pm on May 15th a dark cool night,

which followed a very warm stretch followed by extreme wetness and cold.  What was remarkable

concerning this night was the very large moon on the horizon.  As I waded thru the water that grips

my backyard each spring bordering the marsh I thought, "why not", exactly....why couldn't a squatch

be occupying my little piece of heaven.   I know that the scenario only gets better from here on out,

but I cannot but ask, "why not?"  Well the fact is that I started recording tonight for the first time in

2014, and I know that I said I would start earlier but I went with the gut vibe on the matter...so from

here on out I hope to provide honest analysis good or bad on what I discover, and hope for your feedback

on some of the recording stuff over the season.  Happy hunting, or searching if you may....

Nothing remarkable in last nights recording, a conversation between several Great Horned Owls was interesting, and one approach to the recorder that

that was inconclusive as to what approached.  That was 8 hours worth of recording time, takes over an hour to review.  I have to limit myself somewhat

do to time constraints with work and life, but rest assured I will be at it for the rest of the season till the snow flies...Last year the last couple weeks of fall

were perhaps the most interesting but I had not purchased the recorder till September so who knows what summer will bring. The quest

of documenting the "semi" urban bigfoot continues..  Anyone else recording of conducting research feel free to share your 2014 strategies.

My goal is to somehow document their presence here, hoping for a sighting or print this season, and some recording of their interactions

with each other...I might begin placing food in sealed jars to see if anything with hands is out in the night....that might lead to fingerprints...

I include this story just for interest, as it also supports the semi urban notion as far back as 1890 article taken from the news paper

below "Chicago Inter Ocean"

MAYWOOD’S WHAT-IS-IT.

Chicago Inter Ocean

A Strange Creature Has Been Prowling Around the Desplaines River.

Those Who Have Run Across the Thing Like It to the Traditional Wild Man.

All Efforts to Hunt It to Its Haunts Have So Far Proved in Vain.

IS IT THE WILD MAN OF BORNEO?

Maywood has a mystery, and through it that usually peaceful little suburb bids fair to

become quite notorious.

Something over a week ago a rumor was started in Maywood that a bear or some

animal very much resembling one, had been seen on the Desplaines River bank, just

below the village. Several times this story was repeated, and at last it was

determined to organize a hunting party to search for the animal. In a day or two,

as the party had not materialized, those who intended to go made up their minds

that they had been hoaxed, and so the entire matter was dropped.

Christmas day the Des Plaines River was crowded with skaters. They covered the ice

from Harlem to Turner Park, and were happy as they were numerous. In the crowd

that kept close to the Northwestern railroad bridge, between River Forest and

Maywood, was a party of young people from North Clark street. Charles Gardner, a

clerk on the Board of Trade, was one of the number, and as he was anxious not to

miss the next train he went ashore below the railroad bridge, removed his skates

and commenced to pick his way a small path which led toward the Maywood Park,

this was through a very thick undergrowth, and led directly to a small bridge on

First avenue, spanning a ravine which runs the entire length of the park, running

into the river about two hundred feet from the small bridge.

As Gardner approached the bridge he was startled by hearing what sounded to

him like a moan or a growl. Looking up he saw at the foot of one of the piers of

the bridge something which he first took to be a man. The figure was seated

on a projecting rock and was partially concealed behind the thick weed that

surround the spot. It was peering through the tops of the weeds, and the face,

as the startled man saw it, was that of a monster. It had a low heavy brow, over

which hung hair that was coarse and matted. Its eyebrows were heavy and long,

and the head seemed to be set low down on the chest, so high and massive were

the huge shoulders. The entire face was covered with bushy hair, and as Gardiner

looked in fright and wonder, a huge arm was lifted to grasp the wall as the

creature rose. That was all the young man wanted to see. He tore his way up the

steep bank, rushed to the depot nearly half a mile away, and boarded his train

just as it was about to leave. Then he laughed at himself. He imagined that he had probably seen some

unfortunate tramp taking a rest under the bridge and had, in the excitement of

the unexpected vision, drawn for himself the vivid picture his mind so well

retained. He said nothing at all about the matter until Sunday, when he was again

at Maywood for a day’s skating. With a few friends he met on the ice he landed

near the spot, picked his way to the bridge, and related what he had seen. Of

course he was laughed at until some in the party ventured under the bridge

where they saw, lying among the some small rocks, two pieces of ragged

clothing. Other traces were also visible of the place having been recently

visited by something, and Gardner’s story was at once believed.

In the mean time the mysterious creature had been seen and heard by other people. John

Haberlein, Hans Monns, and Sam Hamburg, three Germans living near Turner

Park, had heard from some boys that some wolves or bears were prowling

up and down the river. Friday they started out with guns and dogs and

carefully scoured both banks of the river from Turner Park almost to Harlem,

but they saw nothing alive, although in the sand on the river bank, near

Harlem, they ran across some strange looking footprints, which led from the ice

to the bank of the river. These tracks resembled somewhat those of a bear, but

the peculiar imprints of the toes at once proved that they were not made by any

Bruin in existence. The hunters followed these footprints until they were lost in

the weeds, and a thorough search of every nook and ravine in the vicinity failed

to bring to light the object which made the marks. The hunters told their story

in Maywood, and the people who had before heard of the mysterious prowling

thing were now thoroughly alarmed, and in many instances parents forbade

children skating on the river, so afraid were they that the animal, or man, or

whatever it was, might do some injury to the little folks.

Late last Saturday night Henry Phillips and R.A. Lewis, two young me who

board in River Forest, went over to Maywood to call on some young ladies.

They were walking home after their visit and when on the West Lake street

wagon bridge, stopped to look at a passenger train that was crossing the

railroad bridge just below. They saw the train pass, and then looked up and

down the river. The moon was shining brightly, and the reflected glitter

from the ice made the picture a pretty one,

As the two young men leaned over the railing of the bridge and discussed the possibilities of the ice

losing its charm for skaters, one of them happened to look up the river.

Above the bridge about a half mile is a bend in the river. It is where

Mr. E.C. Waller’s beautiful home rests on the bank of the Desplaines River.

The action of the current here in this bend is gradually wearing away the

bank, and Mr. Waller is constructing a huge wall to protect his property.

Dams are erected there, but the work on the wall has ceased for the winter

months. Around these dams on the ice lie boards and barrels and pieces

of stone, mixed up in the confusion in which they were left when the

workmen stopped. The moonlight, shining on the ice, was broken at these

dams, the shadows of the trees and rocks and boards at the bend giving

a pretty contrast to the glimmer of the rest of river’s frozen surface.

As the two young men watched the ice they saw a movement on the icy

surface at the bend. Without being aware that the other was looking at the

moving object each watched the figure until they broke out at the same

instant with a remark that some fellow must like skating very well to be

out alone at that time of night.

They both laughed, and as they did the figure drew away from the bend

and made its way down the river toward the two watchers. It came very

slowly and appeared to be carrying something. As it approached the

bridge the young men could see very distinctly that it was not a skater.

It took long, regular, but very slow strides, and at each step a clacking

sound could be heard as is some loose shoe sole was coming in contact

with the smooth ice at every step. On the shoulder of the ***** looking

figure was a piece of board, and as it slouched along the young men

carefully watched. The moonlight was brilliant, and as the object drew

nearer and nearer the bridge the general outline became more and

more distinct.

The reflection from the ice threw its ray on the features of the strange

looking midnight marauder, and as it came nearer and nearer to the

young men they were almost horror-stricken at its appearance. The

figure was that of a man, big, brawny and muscular, but whether

covered with hair or clothes was hard to discern. It wore no hat, and

its white hands, as one hung by its side and the other grasped the

burden on its shoulder, were in great contrast to the dark face, black

hair and peculiar looking body. The head seemed scarcely higher

than the shoulders, and as the creature moved along, a peculiar

hissing sound came from it, as if it were breathing through its teeth.

as the fearful looking creature drew nearer. When it halted under the

bridge, or a little to one side of it, and directly in full view of the

watchers, it dropped its burden. It seemed to be fearful of

something, and looked around in every direction. The young men

crouched on the floor of the bridge and peered cautiously over

the edge of rail. The Thing hissed and mumbled as it stood there,

and Lewis became so badly frightened that he almost yelled

outright, and was only stopped by the strong hand-clasp of

his friend.

In a few moments a movement was heard on the ice. The figure

had stooped down and was replacing its load on its shoulder.

After having done this it remained motionless for a few

seconds, and then moved under the bridge. It was lost to the

sight of the two men for an instant, and then it emerged from

the shadow and moved on down the river, the peculiar

clacking sound being kept up. They saw it pass under the

railroad bridge and watched it move on down toward Harlem

until it was lost to view around the bend of the river just

below.

Just as Lewis and Phillips had reached the end of the bridge

on their homeward way, and were discussing the strange sight

they had seen, they were again startled by hearing a loud cry.

They concluded they had seen enough for one night, and agreed

that the sound they had just heard had been made by some

night bird or animal. They were quite nervous, anyhow, and as

Lewis was especially anxious to go to his home, it was with

difficulty that his friend could persuade him to wait a few

moments to see if anything would appear.

They did not wait long. From under the railroad bridge shot

the same figure they had just lost sight of. It was moving

rapidly, and was without the burden it had carried when last

seen. It rushed to the center of the space between the two

bridges and sat or crouched on a small rock that showed

above the surface of the ice, where it remained for a few

seconds, hissing through its teeth and waving its long arms

around as if to ward off some pursuer or enemy. Only for a few

seconds did the mysterious creature remain in this position.

Then it rose and slowly moved toward the west bank of the

river.

IT PAUSED AGAIN

when it reached the edge of the ice, and seemed to be looking

in the direction of the two watchers, who had cautiously moved

nearer the center of the bridge. It seemed to shade its eyes

with a big white hand, and then, after a long pause, turned and

commenced to climb up the bank. This part of the shore was

in shadow, being covered with weeds and trees, and for some

time the creature was lost to the view of the watching and

anxious men, but when it reached the top it was again

easily seen, the figure being silhouetted in bold relief against

the white barn which stands near the top.

Close to the bank of the river at this are two straw stacks owned

by Farmer Nicholson. They had been cut into, and both are

propped up by means of long poles and beams. Going to the

nearest of these the figure cautiously crawled under one of the

props, arranged some straw for a pillow, and lay down. From

where the two men were watching, just a dark outline of the

figure could be discerned, but it was indistinct and blurred.

The young men at once started for their homes, and the next

morning told their story to Howard Davis, a young book agent,

who lives in River Forest, who it turn recited it to a reporter

for THE INNER OCEAN. Young Gardner was found by the

reporter, and a visit to Maywood disclosed the fact than many

prominent persons had heard of the mysterious figure, but

were inclined not to place much credence in the theory that

there is much of a mystery to the matter. They are inclined

to think that these people have seen a big dog or some other

animal, and have allowed their imagination to get away with

them amid the mysterious surroundings.

Mr. William Rausch, of the Maywood pharmacy, has heard some

talk about the mystery, but is inclined to think that there is

nothing very dreadful about it. He does not know Lewis or

Phillips, nor is acquainted with Davis, who is a reliable young

businessman. Others think that there is some mystery

surrounding this strange creature, and if traces of him are

seen again an effort will be made to capture him.

Is he one of the men who have so strangely disappeared from

Chicago during the past year, or merely some able-bodied

tramp fantastically arrayed is the question asked by those

who have come in contact with him, directly or indirectly.

^^ "In a day or two, as the party had not materialized, those who intended to go made up their minds that they had been hoaxed, and so the entire matter was dropped."

The 1890's you say? Perhaps the earliest report of even the hint of hoaxers that I've read about. Isn't that interesting that people even back then just couldn't believe their own eyes or reports by friends and neighbors? Such is the universal, unbelievable nature of this phenomenon, and speaks volumes to me as to why we are still dealing with such skepticism.

Yes, I know I've just left myself open for the skeptics saying--aha!!--you're right, it is an unbelievable phenomenon and hoaxers HAVE been pulling your collective leg all these years.

Nah. I don't buy it. I fall on the side of BF living amongst us all this time because we are too afraid of scorn and ridicule. Our OWN human nature is their hall pass.

YMMV.

Thanks for the post, LCB.