Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

There is a report from Jersey, (yeah I know) amazing, huh?  A mother took her child to a small picnic area and noticed a large hairy person with a smaller hairy kid by a swingset.  Human mother got out of there, fast............ It scared her terribly.  I'll try to find it.

I know what you mean LC and lightheart etc. when you talk about the emotions involved in these discoveries.

I've posted this before on here somewhere, but a few yrs. ago, when we had suspected activity, we made a small bait station. We only baited it once, but among the various food items, were two stuffed toys. A brightly colored teddy bear, and a small bigfoot doll that squeaked when squeezed. They were hung up in overhead tree branches.

Right from the start, the toys would dissapear, and then show up several days later, in roughly the same spot, on the ground. I know we didn't overlook them, because the area was easily searched, and they were not within at least a couple hundred yards. Although once I did find them on a nearby trail that I used frequently. I just put them back where we had put them originally.

Over time, they would dissapear for longer periods, like a couple weeks, or a couple months, etc. I did notice feeling strange that they would be put back in the same area, like they belonged there. lol Eventually they dissapeared for about 2 yrs. Then one day I walked through the area, and there they were. It kind of freaked me out. They were always in good shape, although the bright teddy eventually faded, it was a cheaper toy.

The last time I picked up the BF doll, it squeaked by accident. I didn't know earlier that it made that noise. Right after it squeaked I heard a chimp like scream come out of the woods behind me. I set it back down and some time later the bear toy was gone, but the BF was left. Before they always were gone together. I saved the BF for a souvenier. I have been out there several times in the last couple yrs. and haven't seen the bear since.

Also in roughly the same area, I found a tin can stuck in a tree with a turkey feather in it, and about a yr. later in the same tree, one of those foil balloons from valentines day was in a branch. Now the balloon could have been blown there, but it is coincidental it was in the same tree. I don't attribute any of this to human activity, as there is none on our property out there. And I can't think of any other animal that would take a toy and return it to the same area, except a dog. Our dogs were out there many times, and never paid any attention to the toys.

Guest lightheart

Mesabe It would almost seem sometimes that something in their wold view .....code of ethics.... prompts them to return things after a time. Others have shared similar experiences.

If there were ever reasons to be glad that our temps get so cold up here, hearing something like this would be at the top of my list.  I'd rather have a Bigfoot in my neighborhood than a gaboon viper!

I would go with the pet theory vs the stow away on the viper, hope they can catch him

without having to kill him, it was not his fault his owner was a twerp.

A bit off topic but we have a Gaboon Viper on the loose about  a mile from my house..  in the 4th largest town in SC  http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/04/deadly-african-snake-on-the-loose-has-sc-community-on-lockdown/

I have a friend who is a herpetologist and actually had a pair of gaboon vipers among several other venomous snakes and the gaboon vipers are actually a very laid back snake. They are slow moving and slow to anger compaired to other hot snakes including those found locally in our area of the country. If I was a betting man I'd bet the house on the fact that if you have any venomous snakes locally you would have a much greater chance of being bitten by one of them than the single gaboon viper roaming the woods.

We got several types of rattler's, copperheads, cottonmouths, and coral snakes but there is anti venom close by for them.  No one has anti venom for the Gaboon close. From what I understand 30 minutes is all you got.  The concern is the snake is in very close proximity to a multi unit apartment complex with lots of people .

I would go with the pet theory vs the stow away on the viper, hope they can catch him

without having to kill him, it was not his fault his owner was a twerp.

That would be a twerp herp, eh?

You can search for a Washington Post report, probably 1983 or so. A kid broke into the reptile house at the National Zoo, reached into the cage and pulled out a Gaboon viper, and stuck it in a trash bag. He then went and got on a Metro bus. The snake (enough is enough, after all...) roused itself to bite the kid through the bag. The boy dropped the bag, spilling the snake onto the floor, where the bus driver saw it. As luck would have it, the driver radioed police, and reached a patrol cop in his squad car who was somewhat of a herpetologist. Just from the driver's description he correctly I.D'd the species (much to his own disbelief). They got the kid to GW hospital in time to save his life. True story.  

Has anyone with these 'Urban Bigfoot' called the police, or warned parents about the possibly dangerous creatures roaming in the parks and woods around children's play areas?  

The Gaboon Viper is a fairly good example of what normally would happen if a potentially dangerous creature gets too close to an urban setting.

They put up signs in the area.

They have news shows about the dangers.

If you are certain there are 9' tall omnivorous apes, living in your community, do you not feel any responsibility to warn unknowing residents of the area?

If a Polar Bear gets too close to Churchill on Hudson Bay, they trail it until it leaves, or dart it and remove it.  And this is a tiny village in the middle of Canada.

Have any of you called the police or warned other residents?

Live and let live I say, do people call police because of Coyotes or Bobcats wandering around? They can be hazardous to people but not so much a concern. I have heard of "prowler" reports being called to the police in these type small towns and the prowlers are very possibly some juvenile BF doing there thing in the night. It doesnt mean the person reporting it knows its a BF just and dark human like figure creeping around and hiding.