A Few Words Concerning Bigfoot At The Half Century Mark

Guest Crowlogic

You will love this book! I'll PM you when I get home tonight. I'll be very interested in your thoughts.

thx.

ive seen john greene say in a interview that when he was young sw bc whites thought Sasquatch was like some giant wild Indian.

its also common in Indian culture to associate ones self with wild animals, ie brother bear or coyote the creator. Where as European culture tends to look down upon animals ie your a dirty ape, etc.

the truth being if it exists or existed we need a good piece of it to figure out what it is or was.

but doesnt the 1840 account ring true with modern accounts? nocturnal? stench? rock throwing? living in the mountains? i think so.

but the name for them given to them by the spokane tribe was "stick indian". which could explain some of the confusion?

thx.

ive seen john greene say in a interview that when he was young sw bc whites thought Sasquatch was like some giant wild Indian.

its also common in Indian culture to associate ones self with wild animals, ie brother bear or coyote the creator. Where as European culture tends to look down upon animals ie your a dirty ape, etc.

the truth being if it exists or existed we need a good piece of it to figure out what it is or was.

but doesnt the 1840 account ring true with modern accounts? nocturnal? stench? rock throwing? living in the mountains? i think so.

but the name for them given to them by the spokane tribe was "stick indian". which could explain some of the confusion?

I don't want to quote the book because I'll goof it up, but I'll be getting out of the office a touch early today figure about 2.5 hrs until I can get this to you. I am eager to get your opinion after you've had an opportunity to read it.

What I've found in reading the Indian accounts a and descriptions is a thread of congruency, but also embellishments that are similar to what are being constructed to this very day. Humans do that.  Absent concrete information about a mysterious phenomenon, we make crap up.  If it is a story that is especially compelling, we add to it to repertoire and amp it up a little for greater effect. The truth of the original event is still there, only just a little harder to discern.  So there are a few peeps here who have a difficult time discerning what is baseline information and what is probably embellishment.  It pays to know what humans do, when trying to figure out the difference. It also pays to have a firm base of biology, scientific theory and history before you give it a try. 

Think of it like listening to a bluegrass standard from the 1920's, say. Maybe it is a murder ballad. Those without the knowledge base just hear a weird tale of unrequited love and and mayhem sung in a keening tenor. Those who know better understand it is based on an actual event from the 16th Century that crossed the Atlantic and mutated before emerging from the isolation of the 19th century Southern mountains when sound recording became possible.  

The song remains the same.

oral traditions are not factual recorded documents but that doesnt mean they are out right fabrications either..........agreed.

I would agree with that. In this link below you'll find  this quote from Charley Victor, an old member of the Skwah Reserve near Chilliwack BC.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/burns.htm

The old man said that she spoke the words "Yahoo, yahoo" frequently in a loud voice and always received a similar reply from the mountain.

This just can't be a made up detail. It is beyond coincidence that it matches the Appalachian legend of the eastern mountain ranges in this link below, and it certainly predates the name Sasquatch.

http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2015/05/yeahoh-yahoo-or-bigfoot.html

One could argue that Charley had heard of other legends and this was a cross contamination in his fiction, but I know for a fact that there is a creature that makes that sound and in a monstrous voice at times, but it has never been shown what it is.

By study of the sounds, most recordings of it would be attributable to humans ,,, or a more likely to me conclusion based on the circumstances, a wildman. 

^Screaming "yahoo" from a mountain has always been a well known thing. That's why the search engine used it- it's part of popular culture. Mountain Dew also used to use it in their old ads back in the 50's- "Ya-hoooo Mountain Dew". It was synonymous with hillbillies.

Who knows why it came to be but probably has European roots like everything else in the Appalachians. Most likely originated from yodeling in the Alps. The Charley story is just showing how these cultural things spread.

Edited by roguefooter

Yahoo was used in "Gulliver's Travels" 1726 as a name for a race of wild men so Rogue is on the right track.

What I've found in reading the Indian accounts a and descriptions is a thread of congruency, but also embellishments that are similar to what are being constructed to this very day. Humans do that.  Absent concrete information about a mysterious phenomenon, we make crap up.  If it is a story that is especially compelling, we add to it to repertoire and amp it up a little for greater effect. The truth of the original event is still there, only just a little harder to discern.  So there are a few peeps here who have a difficult time discerning what is baseline information and what is probably embellishment.  It pays to know what humans do, when trying to figure out the difference. It also pays to have a firm base of biology, scientific theory and history before you give it a try. 

Think of it like listening to a bluegrass standard from the 1920's, say. Maybe it is a murder ballad. Those without the knowledge base just hear a weird tale of unrequited love and and mayhem sung in a keening tenor. Those who know better understand it is based on an actual event from the 16th Century that crossed the Atlantic and mutated before emerging from the isolation of the 19th century Southern mountains when sound recording became possible.  

The song remains the same.   

This is where thinking about this stuff becomes important. 

I don't sense that bigfoot skeptics are interested, at all, in thinking about this from the scientific angle, or even that they understand that there is one (other than "scientists who are doing just what I am doing - not thinking - dismiss this out of hand").  Why have Europeans been in denial about this since before they even got here?  There's a reason.  Why do Natives insist that, "legends" notwithstanding, the animal is real?  There's a reason.  Why the subtle racism of not listening to them?  (Racism.)  Why the insistence - when science blows its own doors off every day or so - that this can't be real?  (We are nowhere near what we think we are, intelligence-wise.) 

This is about as fascinating a scientific discussion as exists.  Unless one insists on boring the tar out of others by not thinking about it, and displaying that publicly.

We also have the opposite phenomenon happening nowadays as well

We have modern researchers (and I think that includes John Green) that took aboriginal stories that were clearly NOT about sasquatch like creatures and wrapped them into the sasquatch mythology

I think that any unbiased researcher would conclude that many of these stories such as giants (with the same technologies as the aboriginals) or Wendigo like myths are not part of the sasquatch legend

Yahoo was used in "Gulliver's Travels" 1726 as a name for a race of wild men so Rogue is on the right track.

Right,  Jonathan Swift wrote Gullivers Travels, you guys should actually read my links. What intrigues me the most is that from a field researchers perspective, if the legend has truth in it, one should be able to capture these "yahoo" screams, and they do get recorded.

I recorded this one myself while calling to elicit a response.

Nech 7-15-06 yahoo.wav

This one was recorded by a skeptic "ex-member here" by the name of River Run, he goes by River on another forum.

RR yahoo clipped filtered..wav

These files contain the well known whoops attributed to bigfoot along with the "yahoo" scream. They give the impression of two very different sized vocalists, but are essentially doing the same call. 

If these aren't bigfoot I'll eat my username!  :P

iirc, river was a skeptic, at least until he was banned........ I don't recall his "changing teams" though , lol.... but I could be wrong , its been a while.

So is the skeptic who recorded that still a skeptic?

I think he remained a skeptic and went to spend his forum time on the JREF. I did inform him of the legend of the yahoo when I PM'd him. I recall that he said it gave him chills when I told him about it. He had thought it might be a bear vocal, but he had no luck matching up a known bear vocal to it.

I'm a hillbilly and I have never yelled YAHOOOOO while drinking my Mountain Dew.  :)

Maybe you're just drinking the wrong kind?

j9c6zb.jpg

The original with sugar makes you yell YA-HOOOO.