If I Was To Shoot One

ShadowBorn

Anyone deciding to shoot one needs to be prepared for a fight.  I know most times, only one can be seen, but I have reason to believe they exist in clans, or at the very least - family groups.

Most people think of these things as dumb animals - and I note every time I see groups out trying to video them - they're the dumb ones.  I consider the scripted TV shows as high comedy.  Not one of these groups could get film or video of a red fox up close.

Lots of blurs, or glows, but they will NEVER get good, high resolution video up close.

Camo or ghillie suits are designed to fool men by breaking up their shape.  Doesn't work against these things.

So.  You shoot one, you'll likely be in a fight for your life.  Faster than a deer, and strong enough to pull you apart.  They hunt together like wolves, they communicate somehow, they coordinate their attacks, and they are finely attuned to their environment.  They are experts at ambush.  

Anyone deciding to shoot one needs to be prepared for a fight.  I know most times, only one can be seen, but I have reason to believe they exist in clans, or at the very least - family groups.

Most people think of these things as dumb animals - and I note every time I see groups out trying to video them - they're the dumb ones.  I consider the scripted TV shows as high comedy.  Not one of these groups could get film or video of a red fox up close.

Lots of blurs, or glows, but they will NEVER get good, high resolution video up close.

Camo or ghillie suits are designed to fool men by breaking up their shape.  Doesn't work against these things.

So.  You shoot one, you'll likely be in a fight for your life.  Faster than a deer, and strong enough to pull you apart.  They hunt together like wolves, they communicate somehow, they coordinate their attacks, and they are finely attuned to their environment.  They are experts at ambush.

How do you come by your information about their behavior? Living in social groups, able to see through camoflage, communicating, coordinating attacks and the like?? How in the world can you speak as an expert on these matters?

FarArcher:

While I'm as staunchly no-kill as anyone, I'll politely ask you to tone down the rhetoric.   The potential is there for all those things, but I'm not convinced their disposition predisposes them towards violent retaliation.    What I'd suggest is if you are no-kill, then don't.   If your no-kill position is based on avoiding consequences rather than an inherent sense of right and wrong, then the first chance you get with no consequences, you'll kill.   That's how it works.   Personally, I'd rather do it based on ethics, not avoiding payback.

I have a lot more respect here for a few people (like Norseman) who are pro-kill but engage in the discussion in a reasonable, respectful manner than people I fundamentally agree with more but express it in irrational, abusive ways.  

IMHO there's no place for hype and hyperbole.   If the truth won't carry the day on its own, it's probably not so true after all. 

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 2

I plussed you there MIB for placing the word Ethics that means a lot with me. There were times while hunting that I felt that I was being tested by them. The one time is when I heard two to three knocks after they had thrown a stick or a small rock at my ground blind. When I looked forward there was a little orange color fellow waving it's arms in front of me. It was a bushy small fellow but it seem like it wanted me to leave . I felt not wanted but I gave them an owl hoot but this feeling of dread came over and I had to leave. This was in the evening and it was still light out and I had a bait pile twenty yards in front of me.

The testing comes from them watching me seeing what I would do when deer would come unto my path. The respect  that I would give animals that would surround me while hunting. There were a few times that I would want to practice on chip monks with my bow.  But then I figured that I would miss their company while I sat in the tree, they were like another set of eyes. When these things would show up every thing just goes silent and nothing makes a noise, you can feel the difference.

You know I am too leaning towards what Norseman is doing and if a opportunity opens for me to take a shot I might just take it. What the worse that will happen, Die no big deal. I have lived a good life and besides it will be reported that a man was ripped apart by a strange creature and when people find out who it was . They will know that it was done by a bigfoot creature. So it will be a two way street done with one stone , a death for a death.

If one was to capture a picture or video one will just say that it is just a fake  and the argument of them being real will just go on. Like I have said before in other threads that they have brought me deer in before. They understand that I am more then capable of doing what needs to be done and be able to sleep good after wards . If they have a capability to read a thought then they have read mine many times before and know what I have thought about while hunting. This could explain why they have always stayed in a place where I could not see them but they were capable of letting me know they were there. So in a way they fear us like we fear them and if they have human in them it is only natural for them to fear us. There advantage is that they have good control of there fear and they know their domain better then us.   

Guest OntarioSquatch

Everything you're saying is true. I've come to the exact same conclusions through my own research on the topic. 

Shooting one would be a tough decision for sure.  I really dont think I could unless I was in fear for my life which probably wouldnt take much with a 600 lb wookie threatening you.

The area I hunt in is the Sam Houston National Forest which is a hot bed for sightings and the specific area I like to hunt not only has some credible sightings from Park employees but I have been specifically told of being bluff charged by a threatening squatch by researchers.

I hunt alone so human nature says I have to at least keep this in the back of my mind when I am walking out of the woods at night.

I think a daytime encounter would bring the fear/heart rate down a little but I worry about the encounter at night when I am most vulnerable. That is when I worry that I will have an itchy trigger.

Guest OntarioSquatch

The truth is if they were to attack someone, that person probably wouldn't even see them coming, so there's really no need to have an itchy trigger. Best bet is to play it safe from the start. If someone's experiencing aggression that they can see and hear, chances are that's just the usual Sasquatch intimidation tactics, nothing dangerous.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

FarArcher:

While I'm as staunchly no-kill as anyone, I'll politely ask you to tone down the rhetoric.   The potential is there for all those things, but I'm not convinced their disposition predisposes them towards violent retaliation.    What I'd suggest is if you are no-kill, then don't.   If your no-kill position is based on avoiding consequences rather than an inherent sense of right and wrong, then the first chance you get with no consequences, you'll kill.   That's how it works.   Personally, I'd rather do it based on ethics, not avoiding payback.

I have a lot more respect here for a few people (like Norseman) who are pro-kill but engage in the discussion in a reasonable, respectful manner than people I fundamentally agree with more but express it in irrational, abusive ways.  

IMHO there's no place for hype and hyperbole.   If the truth won't carry the day on its own, it's probably not so true after all. 

MIB

MIB, I don't care much about heuristics, nor do I delve into intricacies of logos, pathos, or ethos.  Even when I used to hunt men for a paycheck, I never twisted over artificially contrived, ethics-based musings of right or wrong.  It needed doing, and I did it.  Done, and done.

For matters of friendly discourse, does it even matter or not what you think of their predispositions?  After all, you're not going to shoot one at any event, and then there's also the possibility your assumptions are wrong.

In my post, I didn't speak to any individual in particular, and just wanted to comment on the topic.  I refuse to believe that based on that post, anyone could possibly be offended - unless they just wanted to.

I'm new here.  Here.  Just as you politely asked me to tone down the rhetoric, I'll politely ask you to state your position - as your pseudo-philosophic rambling borders being off topic.

If you think my post is inaccurate - disagree - or maybe you may wish to ignore it.  I spoke of matters you are apparently unaware of.  A mistaken position of assumed superiority doesn't really lend itself to pleasant discourse, does it?

If I can find the time next Summer, I'm going to bet my life that I'm correct.  Are you that certain?

BODHI:  All hominids/hominoids live in social groups.  All.

I didn't say they could see through camoflage - you did.

All hominids/hominoids communicate verbally, with sounds, and with gestures.  They're just not as chatty as a young girl.

They do coordinate ambushes of prey.  Shoot one in the presence of other clan members, and you just got a promotion.  Prey.

I didn't present myself as an expert.  You did.

I had to read some of these twice, but get it.  This is an initiation for new guys, and I can appreciate your efforts.  Attributing things I never said - to me, and philosophical diatribe.

Thanks for the welcome.  This is fun.

They do coordinate ambushes of prey. Shoot one in the presence of other clan members, and you just got a promotion. Prey.

-----------------------------------

I'm not so sure you dont earn that promotion when you step out of the pickup at the trail head.

It would seem, from some reports and one hunters tale on some bigfoot show, that they want to take the bodies with them. Maybe they wouldn't attack out of anger or some sort of retaliation, but maybe they want their friend/family members body. Either way, if you shoot one I say be prepared for a fight.

There are a number of examples of them seeking revenge if you injure one.  The most prominent is the Ape Canyon Incident where during the day they shot at and possibly hit a sasquatch.  That night the cabin was attacked.  Probably the most dangerous thing is to shoot one at night when they are much more emboldened to approach people than during the day.  

On sasquatch chronicles ep. 11 "The Siege at Honobia," is about a household being harassed by sasquatches.  It states that one night the man shoots a sasquatch three times, including in the head with a rifle and kills it.  Him and his brother go out to attempt to drag the body back to the house but three sasquatches charged at them and they ran back to the house.   They saw one pick up the body onto his shoulder and run back into the trees with it.  After that the siege of the home became even more hostile.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3958&v=aGl-_G2E5qw

There are a number of examples of them seeking revenge if you injure one.  The most prominent is the Ape Canyon Incident where during the day they shot at and possibly hit a sasquatch.  That night the cabin was attacked.  Probably the most dangerous thing is to shoot one at night when they are much more emboldened to approach people than during the day.  

On sasquatch chronicles ep. 11 "The Siege at Honobia," is about a household being harassed by sasquatches.  It states that one night the man shoots a sasquatch three times, including in the head with a rifle and kills it.  Him and his brother go out to attempt to drag the body back to the house but three sasquatches charged at them and they ran back to the house.   They saw one pick up the body onto his shoulder and run back into the trees with it.  After that the siege of the home became even more hostile.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3958&v=aGl-_G2E5qw

I always thought it would be much easier to shoot one at night - but that would be one long night.  That would require a reinforced redoubt with a 4X4 double-wall with three quarter plywood inside and out - sheathed in roofing steel  - with firing slits all around, and a double layer 4X4 roof with three quarter plywood, also sheathed in roofing steel.  I suspect there would be some mighty big rocks thrown, and probably some good sized trees.

I feel certain others would try to recover it, and I just couldn't allow that.

And the more you drop, the madder they'd get.

And recovering the body/bodies the following morning would likely require some serious shooters, with some serious rifles, each covering a 120 degree sweep while others winch in the bodies.

FarArcher - plussed.

As per my post in The Kill Club, page 55, # 1090 - this is what I'm talking about!

Would you anchor this somehow? Would you move it to the site, or build it on site?

The whole idea is a serious, big deal. Likely, the only way to get this done safely. Again, I feel it is far wiser to over - estimate your opponent. It's better to have something, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

FarArcher - plussed.

As per my post in The Kill Club, page 55, # 1090 - this is what I'm talking about!

Would you anchor this somehow? Would you move it to the site, or build it on site?

The whole idea is a serious, big deal. Likely, the only way to get this done safely. Again, I feel it is far wiser to over - estimate your opponent. It's better to have something, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

I'm new here, and don't know how to get there to your post.  But would love to read it. 

Maybe not anchor it like you think, as there are different terrains and substrates - but there's a way to somewhat circumvent an attempt to "lift" or "pushover" such a structure.  For certain, it has to be anchored in some manner.  These things are unbelievably powerful, I don't think most folks can even conceptualize it.  And that's when they're not even agitated.  Operating with fury - I can only imagine their capability.

In southern Oregon, on a large, remote mountain top, three of us were on a small job, and at the time, Bigfoot was a joke.  Just a boogey-man fabricated to keep kids from wandering off.  Near sundown, we had finished our work for the day, and I asked, "Isn't this Oregon - the home of the Bigfoot?"  So I jokingly picked up a stick to bang into a tree - and it broke.  Took me about three sticks before I found one that would really sound off.

I have no idea how this land owner got this substantial fifth wheel camper up there, but we went in for the night, cooked up some grub, talked a few minutes, and hit the fartsack.  I was sleeping on the floor.

I suddenly woke up - from long habit - not by moving, but by snapping my eyes open - and if I'd been sleeping on a couch - I'd have been rocked right over the side - the back and forth shaking was that violent.  Not one man panicked, no noise, no movement - no questions - no comments - nothing but silence as this large camper was really shaken badly.

This went on for two or so minutes, a break, maybe two or three more minutes, another break.  For twenty minutes.  Then it stopped altogether.  I went back to sleep, and no one still had moved nor said a word.

Next morning, it was lightly discussed - and as I went to get water for coffee - I was stunned - as the camper was blocked up!  Solidly blocked up, and yet this thing was shaken like three linemen got on one side of a Volkswagen, three on the other side, and they were shaking it as hard as they could push.

Based on this one experience - you can believe my redoubt would be seriously anchored - but it would also have shooting slits all around it to stop one from getting much purchase if the decided to lift it.  And I'm not talking about a .30-30 or .270.  I mean some firepower.  Some is good, more is better, and overkill is best-est.

This is my one post for the day.  This is painful.  Downright . . .  painful.

Would it be possible for someone to start a thread where the more knowledgeable here could share and try to explain why the Falcon Project funding fell through so badly?