The Ketchum Report

@Nal, I think you may have taken speculation and turned it into official responses from the Ketchum Camp.

Right now, all we know is that 'the journal' isn't allowing discussion.

There have been no reasons given by DMK, only speculation by BFF members.

What's really happening behind the scenes only a handful of people know, and they ain't talkin!

Guest BFSleuth

True that. There is speculation regarding any legal issues. The official word from Ketchum has been positive and "everything is on track". We are left with reading tea leaves until someone with actual honest to goodness "in the know" information is willing to publicly state something worth knowing.

Guest Particle Noun

There does seem to be a lot of incorrect 'common wisdom' as to the 'circus' revolving around this study. However. as you stated, almost none of that common wisdom has come from anyone involved in the study itself, but from anonymous sources and the like.

It appears the BBB record is being brought up again as well, most recently by the Crypto Crew. I encourage everyone to take those reports and their implications with a grain of salt. For one, we have no idea of the volume of business in the three years those 19 incidents were logged. What percentage of the business did not involve complaints, but went off without a hitch? We have no idea. Also, it is pretty well known that the BBB works in a fairly Pay to Play fashion. Dr. Ketchum's business is NOT a member of the BBB. In the past, there have been serious complaints lodged against the BBB involving overly negative reviews and ratings for businesses that did not want to become members. Here is one story relating to that:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business-bureau-best-ratings-money-buy/story?id=12123843#.T85l5rBYvW8

While that doesn't completely dismiss the criticisms lodged against DNA diagnostics, those claims should be taken in a larger context which, frankly, we don't have at this point. I know this makes me come across as some sort of Ketchum Study Apologist (which I guess I am in some sense) but I think we need to be careful where we hitch our wagon regardless of the side we come down on in regards to this study.

Guest BFSleuth

As a businessperson I can completely agree with your observations about the BBB. I would also add Dun & Bradstreet and Yelp to that mix. All are "pay to play" business models that try to create the illusion that they are providing unbiased information for the public. However, when you actually talk to their representatives and look into the "deal" they are offering it is pretty evident that unless you are a paying member there is no way you will get a top rating. In some cases they have been noted to "work with you" to help your rating if you pay them. We decided a long time ago to ignore "membership" offers for all these "services".

As a businessperson I can completely agree with your observations about the BBB. I would also add Dun & Bradstreet and Yelp to that mix. All are "pay to play" business models that try to create the illusion that they are providing unbiased information for the public. However, when you actually talk to their representatives and look into the "deal" they are offering it is pretty evident that unless you are a paying member there is no way you will get a top rating. In some cases they have been noted to "work with you" to help your rating if you pay them. We decided a long time ago to ignore "membership" offers for all these "services".

I have two things to add, without any bias to the topic:

1) I have worked in labs before...data is/are almost ALWAYS late. And, you can never, ever please all clients, regardless of what business you are in.

2) I have used the BBB once and had a great experience with them. They helped me resolve a complaint...which is what they are supposed to do (?). Fees aside, anything can be "bought" nowadays.

So yes, take the BBB thing for what it is. Another potential take on this whirlwind....

BBB....... perhaps they discovered a Bigger Badder Bigfoot than anticipated,thus delaying the results ;)

seriously though, at this point i figure the optimism is slipping for many.

Right now, all we know is that 'the journal' isn't allowing discussion.

Actually, I do not think that it has ever been confirmed that the paper has been accepted for publication by "a journal". Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, the paper has been submitted to journal(s) and as of today, has not been accepted for publication. What I think Ketchum has said that it "will" be accepted for publication. I think at this point that the most likely outcome will be that the paper will not be accepted by an established academic journal.

Just tried to check out DMK's FB page. Her personal page loads, but the page she set up for the DNA study doesn't. Hmmmmmmmm

Guest Particle Noun

Yep, I can confirm that. To jump into wild speculation mode, that could either indicate that something new is afoot, or that they felt having the page there wasn't doing anything constructive, and just stirring up a bunch of disparagement from many quarters.

Right now I lean toward the latter.

Well, I've never believed that she ever had any intention of hoaxing anyone. I've always thought that, if what she was saying was wrong, it would be more due to an error/oversight. She would have nothing to gain by hoaxing.

My thoughts are much like ParticleNoun's. That, or the study is coming out in publication and they've taken that page down to focus on the protection group page.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Well, tomorrow is Thursday. :rolleyes:

The glass is always half full for me on Wednesdays. Empty on Fridays.