The Ketchum Report

Unless it truly is "unthinkable", that when presented with adequate grounds for further investigation the ego in defending itself refutes it. It just can't be, it just can't be, it just can't be...

Which is a common failing among scientists concerning many things, not the least of which is BF.

As Dr Grieve noted in 1972:

"My subjective impressions have oscillated between total acceptance of the Sasquatch based on the grounds that the film (Patterson Gimlin Film) would be difficult to fake, to one of irrational rejection based on an emotional response to the possibility that the Sasquatch actually exists. This seems worth stating because others have reacted similarly to the film."

Oh, and Denialist, I do care about the argument for it's own sake. Not the outcome per se, but the fact that the people who keep trying to browbeat us into accepting their "critical thinking" on the topic can't be bothered to follow their own critical thinking rules.

That's dishonest, hypocritical, and wrong. But then again, if they applied their own rules to themselves, then the Skeptical argument would have even LESS support than it does now.

Edited by Mulder

There is a document that says I own planet earth. It was made up by an extraterrestrial race called the Blognuts. The document is written on a substance that only gains solidity when you make a 5 hz tone for 22 seconds at the appropriate spot. I can't prove or won't prove what I just said. I still can maintain my crazy position however by using the logic that you don't have the means to prove what I just claimed is, impossible! I have created a closed loop non resolvable argument.

Does anyone really need to prove that such a document doesn't exist? That is why we have intuition, common sense and pattern recognition abilities, to navigate around illogical arguments, statements or activity.

Sciences dirty little secret is that critical thinking only advances it very very incrementally, usually just fleshing out the bones of the last great advance. Where it really makes progress is with post-rationalised gut feelings, first someone has to dare to think it. Then of course the theory gets framed in rational terms, and is open for refutation or confirmation by observation and experiment. However, the catalysts for the intuitive leap are often things that in and of themselves are denied, because they do not fit the prevailing paradigm. Planck got asked plenty of times about whether he was sure black body radiation was quantised, got told he must have made a mistake because things didn't work like that. Even 30 or 40 years later there were still people saying it was crazy. I think there was one holdout in a tenured academic position still railing against it in the 1960s.

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Steve Jobs, US computer engineer & industrialist

That's a bit of a stretch to compare bigfoot believers/knowers to Steve Jobs, me thinks.......but I think of all of you as the little bumble bee girl dancing her heart out to her own beat.

There is a document that says I own planet earth. It was made up by an extraterrestrial race called the Blognuts. The document is written on a substance that only gains solidity when you make a 5 hz tone for 22 seconds at the appropriate spot. I can't prove or won't prove what I just said. I still can maintain my crazy position however by using the logic that you don't have the means to prove what I just claimed is, impossible! I have created a closed loop non resolvable argument.

Does anyone really need to prove that such a document doesn't exist? That is why we have intuition, common sense and pattern recognition abilities, to navigate around illogical arguments, statements or activity.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with BF, a regular old primate for which there is (no matter how much it irks the Skeptics) good physical evidence.

Talking about invisible whatsits, dragons, unicorns, ETs or whatever is utterly irrelevant.

In short: the corn field called, they'd like to have their strawman back.

That's a bit of a stretch to compare bigfoot believers/knowers to Steve Jobs, me thinks.....

Why? What great discoveries were EVER made by sitting on one's butt in a lab saying "it can't be..."?

If that question had a couple of seconds of actual thought behind it, you might remember that the mods always delete posts that are attacks on other members.

This is just a friendly observation Mulder, but you seem way more concerned with "winning the argument" that bigfoot exists. As opposed to actually proving bigfoot exists. You're all "argument ad blah blah" all the time. Who cares? If BF exists we should know about it by now.

But your here on a forum about bigfoot, whom seems ONLY concerned with " winning the argument" that bigfoot doesn't exist.

To spend this much time trying to argue with every believer that their wrong, is more unbelievable than the existence of bigfoot.

Mulder is only trying to prove what he and others that had similar encounters, to be an animal of flesh and blood.

Your agenda is the gratification of believing that you win every argument, truly pointless

I don't think it's a stretch at all. We're constantly being called crazy misfit troublemakers.

Old Steve should be proud of us.

I think Steve actually accomplished something, you can get away with that reputation when you are productive.