Catch and Release?

xspider1

45 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Being preoccupied with one animal in front of us nulls our thinking to check the sides and behind us.  We have mammalian genetic memory to urge us to look behind to see if a saber tooth tiger is sneaking up on us.

There aren't any Bigfoot experts. Media dollies are abundant.

Velociraptors are an entertainment industry thing.  Good to draw customers but they never hunted humans and vice versa.

PGF.  Patty was probably a great mother. She did a 'lead away' maneuver like animals and birds do. There will always be debate about whether or not Patty did the lead away maneuver to school her young offspring. We will never know if Patty was alone.

I don't buy the Albert Ostman story.

I don't waste time with plaster.

I don't hunt them.

Remember, Sasquatch find you, you do not find them. They know your mind and your heart. I am not aware of any published reports regarding the successful use of firearm(s) with Sasquatch.

It doesn’t null mine. I always check my six. Alone or in a group.

How do we know Patty was a recent mother? Because she had breasts? 

And yet, Sasquatch proves time and time again it can be sneaked up on and surprised….🤷‍♂️ 

There are plenty of reports of people shooting them. I can start linking them in another thread if you wish? So we don’t hijack this one?

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

It appears that they’re not as aggressive as Homo sapiens in most cases. But I bet if you put a bullet into one and fail to drop him and seal the deal, you’d be in pretty deep goo. 

Or a Grizzly bear.

Which we as hunters know what to do. You back out and let it bleed out. Unless you’re charged…. Since the end of the era of the Neanderthal spear? Distance is a hunters friend….. If I have cell phone service I am calling back up. (I have Garmin Inreach, but only ever tested it)

10 minutes ago, norseman said:

There are plenty of reports of people shooting them. I can start linking them in another thread if you wish? So we don’t hijack this one?

No need to start another thread about shooting stories. Long rifles, side arms and unverified incidents. No bodies though that we know of.

As far as catch and release goes, I believe that years ago some sort of large trap was tried. IIRC, it was in Oregon and a shipping container or something like that was deployed and they caught a homeless person. Not sure of the bait that they used.  Don't know if any other animals were caught.

9 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

No need to start another thread about shooting stories. Long rifles, side arms and unverified incidents. No bodies though that we know of.

As far as catch and release goes, I believe that years ago some sort of large trap was tried. IIRC, it was in Oregon and a shipping container or something like that was deployed and they caught a homeless person. Not sure of the bait that they used.  Don't know if any other animals were caught.

No bodies, no.

We appeal to three needs of an animal when hunting them, trapping them, fishing for them. I think everything falls into one of three main categories.

1) Food. We appeal to their stomach. (Deer corn, salt, food plots, worms on hooks, jelly donut bait piles, etc.)

2) Sex. We appeal to the need to procreate. (Cow calls, doe decoys, estrus urine, etc.)

3) Fight. We appeal to the need to deal with competition during rut. (Bugles, rack rattles, oar paddle on brush, etc) And this could also apply to a female as well concerning offspring. For them they will fight….

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

.........Which we as hunters know what to do. You back out and let it bleed out. Unless you’re charged…. 

You'd be shocked to know how few hunters know that.......guides included.

Edited by Huntster
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Smoke Wolves

Smoke Wolves, also commonly referred to as Smoke Wolf or the Grim, is a massive red-eyed canine purported to inhabit forests in Northern West Virginia.

Mythology

Legend has it that settlers throughout the region believed that burying the family dog alive in the cemetery would mean the dog’s spirit would morph into a Grim, a black dog with red eyes, and that the dog would then protect the graveyard from those who would profane them including thieves, vandals, witches, and the warlocks . After a time, Grim's spirit becomes a Smoke Wolf.

That's interesting!  I'm originally from West Virginia,  never heard of smoke wolves or Grimm before now, though.   I'll have to check that out.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

We appeal to three needs of an animal when hunting them, trapping them, fishing for them. I think everything falls into one of three main categories.

1) Food. We appeal to their stomach. (Deer corn, salt, food plots, worms on hooks, jelly donut bait piles, etc.)

You didn't mention Chick-fil-A.  I don't know what they put in that stuff, but people line up by the dozens to get trapped by it.:rofl:   Can we please stop saying that a Bigfoot will definitely rip one's arm off and beat them to death with it?  Maybe they're not that mean.  lol  :rolleyes:

I'm thinking more along the lines of a pit trap, deep enough and designed so that a Bigfoot can't jump or climb out and with a padded landing so they don't get hurt.  People fall in holes all the time so, unless they are more intelligent and aware than us, that might work, no?

16 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

You didn't mention Chick-fil-A.  I don't know what they put in that stuff, but people line up by the dozens to get trapped by it.:rofl:   Can we please stop saying that a Bigfoot will definitely rip one's arm off and beat them to death with it?  Maybe they're not that mean.  lol  :rolleyes:

I'm thinking more along the lines of a pit trap, deep enough and designed so that a Bigfoot can't jump or climb out and with a padded landing so they don't get hurt.  People fall in holes all the time so, unless they are more intelligent and aware than us, that might work, no?

So you’re gonna show up on national forest land with an excavator and a mattress??? And let’s say you get it dug without Officer Pine Cone noticing….. What happens when Aunt Sue and the kids with their picnic basket tumbles down into that hole? Or Rancher Bob’s prized Bull on a grazing permit ends up missing? 

Should we start a legal defense fund for you now?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, norseman said:

Should we start a legal defense fund for you now?

That'd be great, thanks!  :rock:  But, no, not planning to excavate in a National Forest without permission.  They seem to inhabit private properties as well.  So, if you have a better plan than 3 bullets, I'd love to hear it.  I read that Chuck Norris can shoot a cyclops between the eye, but that's not for me..  

Edited by xspider1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

That'd be great, thanks!  :rock:  But, no, not planning to excavate in a National Forest without permission.  They seem to inhabit private properties as well.  So, if you have a better plan than 3 bullets, I'd love to hear it.  I read that Chuck Norris can shoot a cyclops between the eye, but that's not for me..  

Bah humbug! A troupe of 800 lbs ape men living in someone’s suburban back yard…. I’ve heard it before.

Nope.  My guide gun holds 7…. And I would reload it 3 times to bag one. It would save you a heap of digging!

Who said anything about a suburban back yard?  You are aware that people own vast amounts of private, wooded land, no?  And, as far as re-loading 3 times?  The marauding clan of Bigfoot will rip your arms off long before that, remember?  That is, assuming that they are naturally violent animals, like humans and unlike gorillas.  To assume any of that is an error in judgment, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

Who said anything about a suburban back yard?  You are aware that people own vast amounts of private, wooded land, no?  And, as far as re-loading 3 times?  The marauding clan of Bigfoot will rip your arms off long before that, remember?  That is, assuming that they are naturally violent animals, like humans and unlike gorillas.  To assume any of that is an error in judgment, in my opinion.

I own vast amounts of wooded land. And no your not digging a hole on it.

Well if they do they will have to do it with fist sized holes in their torso.

Not digging a hole on your land (if there were Bigfoot there) to avoid putting fist size holes into the torsos of multiple unclassified primates?  That is a very sad mind-set, norseman.  What if the tables were turned; would it be ok if they killed you to prove your existence?  That is a rhetorical question, no need to respond.  I guess I just don't understand the direction in which you are 'Steering' the Committee.  Peace out.        

10 hours ago, xspider1 said:

Not digging a hole on your land (if there were Bigfoot there) to avoid putting fist size holes into the torsos of multiple unclassified primates?  That is a very sad mind-set, norseman.  What if the tables were turned; would it be ok if they killed you to prove your existence?  That is a rhetorical question, no need to respond.  I guess I just don't understand the direction in which you are 'Steering' the Committee.  Peace out.        

I think Aliens do all the time.🤷‍♂️ .

And as far as blowing holes in unclassified primates? They were the ones looking to rip my arms off and beat me with them….remember?

Xspider your problem is that you’re an idealist. You just don’t wanna face facts. No matter if Bigfoot army smears me all over ground? Or your hole in the ground traps one for 2 days???

It will take two type specimens to classify the species to science. Full stop.

7 minutes ago, norseman said:

I think Aliens do all the time.🤷‍♂️ ..........

Do what? Kill Homo sapiens in order to prove our existence to their science gods back home across the universe?