Catch and Release?

xspider1

Just south of the Olympic NP. On private timber ground. Have numerous watchers on clear cuts, with the helo and crew staged close by. If they get the call? Fly out and try to intercept?

IMG_1168.png

• Upvote 1

There have been many colorful posts on C&R.  Intermediate the catch and release is the problematic study phase. In lieu of a baby thermometer, I recommend a non-contact infrared heat gun.

The 'hole' scenario is a point location and there are many points to guess at. You need to consider the 'Goldilocks factor: too shallow, too deep, just right'. The water table may spank you big time. There is a factoid about digging a hole: " it is the only job that you will have where you start out at the top".

I am surprised that caves / abandoned mines / lava tubes were not suggested. Used by humans and animals for millions of years. Digging not required ( lets Norseman off the hook ). I avoid caves and abandoned mines for safety reasons but unfortunately, a fungus is among us. The cave approach is shut down due to bat WNS. The White Nose Syndrome in Washington State has the fungus in 10 counties and 5 counties have confirmed cases of WNS in bats. Check with your fish & wildlife dept. to determine the status of your caves.

Examine the percentages. Number of Sasquatch that have fallen into holes. Number of Sasquatch that visit campsites and leave hand prints, crush tents, sniff tents, steal food / dump out coolers, make noises, watch campfires, reach through open portals of vehicles and generally scare the campers.

In campsite mode, one can use a non-contact IR heat gun from the confines of your tent /blind / vehicle for your heat studies.

Funny how they have to go where humans are to spy on us and teach the young ones about human behavior and to avoid us.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2023 at 4:07 PM, norseman said:

Have numerous watchers on clear cuts, with the helo and crew staged close by. If they get the call? Fly out and try to intercept?

The plan is decades late and many dollars short. Way back in the previous century, the "Bigfoot Information Center and Exhibition" in The Dalles, Ore., had a one million dollar, 5 year grant. 

IIRC, there may have been a helicopter available. On the ground, humans visited high vantage points and scoured the area with infrared spot lights. There is at least one forum member in Oregon who can fact check the helo details and boots on the ground effort.

The video of the helicopter showing the net shooter has the animals running full tilt boogie over grassland. Impressive speed. The engine noise spooks the animals.

5 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

The plan is decades late and many dollars short. Way back in the previous century, the "Bigfoot Information Center and Exhibition" in The Dalles, Ore., had a one million dollar, 5 year grant. 

IIRC, there may have been a helicopter available. On the ground, humans visited high vantage points and scoured the area with infrared spot lights. There is at least one forum member in Oregon who can fact check the helo details and boots on the ground effort.

The video of the helicopter showing the net shooter has the animals running full tilt boogie over grassland. Impressive speed. The engine noise spooks the animals.

As I said it would be *slightly* more expensive than a loaner excavator. They had hand held FLIR decades ago?

Or the animal is running from the giant bird in the sky chasing them… which at one time was a real thing that ate you.

Ok, so this has been tried. Is there an after action report? 

The Tiger pit is cheaper, less moving parts, operates via gravity and doesn’t include the FAA, USFW, and probably 10 other agencies. The other method was perfected in the Vietnam war and was highly effective at removing Charlie from the AO. Obviously they skipped the net gun in favor of hard lead and steel. It’s also gonna be probably a 2000 bucks per hour just to get started.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, norseman said:

Ok, so this has been tried. Is there an after action report? 

Not sure. I don't follow activity in Oregon. Forum members ( older ) may have input. It was a project of Peter Byrne.

22 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

scoured the area with infrared spot lights.

Infrared spot lights. I am unsure what IR light was used during the 'Hood River Project' and others that Peter Byrne conducted. The answers may be in his books. Back in the day, a common light source was 'hot filament'. One would put a filter on the light. Doped rigid acrylic filter as found on entertainment equipment remote controls or a doped glass IR filter.

16 hours ago, norseman said:

They had hand held FLIR decades ago?

No. Original FLIR was airborne military duty.

40 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Infrared spot lights. I am unsure what IR light was used during the 'Hood River Project' and others that Peter Byrne conducted. The answers may be in his books. Back in the day, a common light source was 'hot filament'. One would put a filter on the light. Doped rigid acrylic filter as found on entertainment equipment remote controls or a doped glass IR filter.

No. Original FLIR was airborne military duty.

I guess I am not familiar with that technology. 

On 9/2/2023 at 4:39 PM, 7.62 said:

No there is no better idea because you will not trap one . If you want confirmation you have to kill one and the only way is with a bullet .

I don't believe either one of those statements.  We can walk on the moon, but we could never capture a Bigfoot?  :popcorn:   And, the idea that confirmation requires death by bullet(s), or by any other means, should be reconsidered because there are several, nonlethal, solutions.

Edited by xspider1

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

I don't believe either one of those statements.  We can walk on the moon, but we could never capture a Bigfoot?  :popcorn:   And, the idea that confirmation requires death by bullet(s), or by any other means, should be reconsidered because there are several, nonlethal, solutions.

About now I would just settle for some real good clear video of some never mind capturing one  :D  We can't even get that from researchers 

Edited by 7.62

43 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

About now I would just settle for some real good clear video of some never mind capturing one  :D  We can't even get that from researchers 

Yeah, I would tend to settle for that myself, although my understanding is that 'Science never will'.  I just finished watching a series called "Ancient Apocalypse" (very interesting research from a 'non-Scientist' regarding the cataclysm that apparently happened after the last ice age, 12,800 years ago).  Anyway, the Researcher, Graham Hancock, said it is ok for Scientists to be skeptical, but not ok for them to be cynical.  I agree with that 100%.  Most people live in a bubble where they don't even wonder about the mysteries that surround Us.  On the BFF we can choose to be open-minded and to consider and discuss possibilities.

There are things out there that match the descriptions of Bigfoot, of that I have no doubt.  They appear to be relict hominid, but as they say, appearances can be deceiving.  Good imagery combined with convincing DNA (or, 100% absolute, if that's possible) would be good enough for me.

(P.S. I see that towards the end of that movie: 'The Bigfoot Trap', they found the real thing so, that's good.  :rock:)

Edited by xspider1

Graham Hancock has some interesting theories, I rather enjoy his podcasts and thoughts.   I’m not sure how much academia agree with him but it’s good entertainment! 

16 hours ago, xspider1 said:

Well walking on the moon took NASA to get us there. Just the Apollo program alone cost the US 25 BILLION dollars.

Unfortunately we are not NASA. So our budget is pretty slim. A bullet is still the cheapest most expedient way to procure a type specimen. And even if we go into this with non lethal methods and good intentions?

This is a dangerous creature…. it may have to be put down because we cannot control it. We may even lose people in this endeavor. 

If I was to volunteer into a mission like this with a goal of capture? The caveat would be that the expedition would have an armed back up and that if the creature was escaping the net or the pit or whatever that it would be shot. No questions asked. Its probably going to hold a big grudge with this live capture attempt. And if the attempt fails?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Twist said:

Graham Hancock has some interesting theories, I rather enjoy his podcasts and thoughts.   I’m not sure how much academia agree with him but it’s good entertainment! 

My understanding is that academia/mainstream science is gradually being forced to accept the facts regarding the Younger Dryas cataclysm that occurred soon after the end of the last Ice Age, 12.500 years ago.  There is evidence of unimaginable flooding and an apparent, sudden advancement in human capability that is impossible to explain without advanced intervention.  Of course, most? Archaeologists, etc. are reluctant to endorse anything that rocks their boat.  It's too funny really because the same scenario has played out across almost every Scientific discipline since, well, 'Science' began.  Very analogous to the Bigfoot saga, imo.        

"A bullet is still the cheapest most expedient way to procure a type specimen. And even if we go into this with non lethal methods and good intentions?  This is a dangerous creature…. it may have to be put down because we cannot control it. We may even lose people in this endeavor." 

That is entirely possible.  Still, we would be taking the high road.  There are probably thousands of people who would even volunteer for such an assignment.  A viable plan and then financing for equipment and provisions are, of course, primary concerns.

Edited by xspider1