Catch and Release?

xspider1

45 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

Its illegal to booby trap your own property. I was talking to the guy who manages our land when I discovered a fence had been clipped in order to get onto our lake. I proposed land mines. He informed me that any booby trapping is illegal. I think he is probably right. 

I hope you're joking (about planting mines.)

3 hours ago, Chim Chim said:

Neat story, but you dug a trench for another purpose that a deer inadvertently fell in.  If you dig a deep pit specifically for trapping something that could change the equation.  

Either way I’d bounce it off the sheriff/game warden before I’d do something like that.  And even then if a trespasser fell in and broke a leg you could very well be in legal jeopardy for having a ‘booby trap’ on the place.

No your honor, I wasn’t trying to deter trespassers, I was trying to catch a Bigfoot…

It has to be manned 24/7  You build a pit trap on your property and leave it unmanned just asking for trouble. I don't see any land owner agreeing to this kind of trap on their property when you approach them and detail the plans :biggrin:

4 hours ago, norseman said:

But that’s the problem with any trap. Traps are typically an odds game. Set X amount of traps to capture Y amount of target species. But many other species will die in the same trap. An example down here would be conibear traps and bobcats and coyotes, and maybe even Fido. Bobcat pelts are the golden premium.

The extra problem with a pit trap is fishing all the animals out. That’s why I addressed a crane or some sort of retrieval system nearby.

This one is different because it's a camo pit trap possibly 20 feet deep . It's not your typical game trap . I don't see any land owner agreeing to this because of legal ramifications if anything goes wrong.  

1 minute ago, 7.62 said:

This one is different because it's a camo pit trap possibly 20 feet deep . It's not your typical game trap . I don't see any land owner agreeing to this because of legal ramifications if anything goes wrong.  

I also think something that heavy falling through it will result in injury because it would be so unexpected . 

1 hour ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I hope you're joking (about planting mines.)

sure, it was tongue in cheek. to be fair, in the state where our land is, I would be well within my legal right to use force to remove trespassers.

4 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

Its illegal to booby trap your own property. I was talking to the guy who manages our land when I discovered a fence had been clipped in order to get onto our lake. I proposed land mines. He informed me that any booby trapping is illegal. I think he is probably right. 

You mean like a shotgun on a trip wire? Or a toe popper? Sure I can see that the authorities would frown on that if a trespasser died. But I KNOW that there are security companies that will install an electrified fence. So there are deterrents. I own mini storage and have looked into it.

In regard to small animals falling in; the pit trap could be designed (hi-tech) so that nothing under, say 400 pounds total weight would trip the top.  (It would probably be best to capture an adult anyway.)

With modern technology, I bet it could be setup to sense four separate points of contact as well (deer, elk, bear, dog, etc.) and not trip in that case.  Maybe we could use the large, bi-pedal aspects of the subject to advantage and to eliminate the possibility for collateral damage.

58 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

In regard to small animals falling in; the pit trap could be designed (hi-tech) so that nothing under, say 400 pounds total weight would trip the top.  (It would probably be best to capture an adult anyway.)

With modern technology, I bet it could be setup to sense four separate points of contact as well (deer, elk, bear, dog, etc.) and not trip in that case.  Maybe we could use the large, bi-pedal aspects of the subject to advantage and to eliminate the possibility for collateral damage.

So first step is finding one and knowing what area he or she is going to be then having enough people and hounds to be able to do a drive and funnel it into the trap .

Sounds easy :D and forgot finding a land owner to agree to it where there is bigfoot on his property .

I'm sure there wouldn't be any repercussions  from the clan to his homestead  

Edited by 7.62

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

Another thing you have to think about is you can't even get these things on trail cameras because for what ever reason they sense or smell or see them some how.

You and a crew of people are going to drive a backhoe into the forest and spend a few days there . Digging the hole then installing some type of high tech electronic 

trap door that senses weight that will have a power source emitting something . You then assume the 2 or 3 days the crew was there building and testing something like this in the field that all this would go unobserved by them . If you go the route of just trying to lure them in .  Then you hang a bag of fruit  over the large pit  door the crew just spent two days installing and testing while being observed  by them . Reason you know you are is  because you wouldn't do this type of  expensive endeavor unless you know they are there .  

I don’t think a backhoe would do it, you’d need a regular excavator to get a pit that deep which is a major piece of equipment.  In a lot of areas you’d be hitting bedrock that deep and would have to have a hammer for it, everything within miles would hear that going on.

I bet a drive wouldn’t work on them either, and if there was more than one you may find the tables turned if you try it.

Can you imagine if you did get one trapped in a pit and walked up to the edge and saw it angrily staring up at you, that would make your blood run cold.  I’d want a 50’ deep pit for that. 😲

1 hour ago, Chim Chim said:

I don’t think a backhoe would do it, you’d need a regular excavator to get a pit that deep which is a major piece of equipment.  In a lot of areas you’d be hitting bedrock that deep and would have to have a hammer for it, everything within miles would hear that going on.

I bet a drive wouldn’t work on them either, and if there was more than one you may find the tables turned if you try it.

Can you imagine if you did get one trapped in a pit and walked up to the edge and saw it angrily staring up at you, that would make your blood run cold.  I’d want a 50’ deep pit for that. 😲

The reason I say a drive is because a project this enormous and expensive wouldn't be done unless there is actual hard core evidence that they reside in the area . As in visuals of them . Just building something like this will be watched by them while it's going on . No one is going to trap one in there by hanging a fruit basket over the pit :biggrin:

You will have to force them in there 

1 hour ago, Chim Chim said:

My Kobelco blade runner 160 will dig to 20 feet max. Some backhoes can dig to 16 feet, depending on the model. Mine has a grinding head on it right now. The hole can be dug, no question. The question is? Would it catch a Bigfoot. Them do seem smarter than the average bear.

• Thanks 1

We’re gonna need that Blade Runner, Norse!  Thanks for the donation!  :rolleyes:  lol, jj  Seriously, that is awesome.

I would never want to break someone else’s excavator, or let a marauding band of Bigfoot vigilantes attack anyone within smelling distance!  The land owner might be ok with it though if we give them 10 million $ worth of tv/movie rights (or, a few drops in the bucket).

The giant ‘have-a-heart’ pit trap is seeming to be more and more complicated.  Anybody got any better ideas than 3x2=6 bullets?

• Thanks 1

No there is no better idea because you will not trap one . If you want confirmation you have to kill one and the only way is with a bullet .

Is that worth it to you to be that infamous because you will not be seen as some hero .

Never mind that your life and probably your close families  life   will be made hell .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

We’re gonna need that Blade Runner, Norse!  Thanks for the donation!  :rolleyes:  lol, jj  Seriously, that is awesome.

I would never want to break someone else’s excavator, or let a marauding band of Bigfoot vigilantes attack anyone within smelling distance!  The land owner might be ok with it though if we give them 10 million $ worth of tv/movie rights (or, a few drops in the bucket).

The giant ‘have-a-heart’ pit trap is seeming to be more and more complicated.  Anybody got any better ideas than 3x2=6 bullets?

Yah! I have a way better idea! But it’s way above the budget of a loaner excavator! Gonna have to catch ‘em in a clear cut or burn! It would be a hoot!