Catch and Release?

xspider1

20 hours ago, norseman said:

These are just factors to think about off the top of my head. It doesn’t have to be a Tiger pit. It could be a snare. It could be a cage. It could be a net gun. Etc, etc.

Good!  Back on topic.  I am thrilled that you are, seemingly, at least considering the notion of Catch and Release, norseman.  The pit needs to be deep enough so that the Bigfoot can't jump out.  :thumbsup:

width?  the wider the better, within reason, I guess
conceal with material similar to the surrounding area
we could tranquilize appropriately once captured and evaluated, no?
rocks? try a new spot
water? Bigfoot proof bilge pump
humans falling in? private property, no trespassing
night? lights
winter? heat and warm clothing
cave in? doubtful

I don't mean to trivialize those questions, they are good, valid concerns.  I just don't see a deal breaker there.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, norseman said:

Other than one video? I have seen ZERO concrete nuts and bolts plans proposed. 

Example:

We are gonna dig a Tiger pit for Bigfoot.

1) How deep does the pit have to be?

2) How wide does the pit have to be?

3) What are we gonna conceal the pit with?

4) If we capture a Bigfoot how are we gonna get it out of the pit? Or if we capture a known animal how do we get it out of the pit?

5) What if we encounter rock while digging the pit?

6) What if our pit fills up with water?

7) How do we warn humans to stay away from the pit?

8) What happens if we make a capture at night?

9) What happens if we make a capture in winter?

10? Should we reinforce the pit in case a mad clawing Bigfoot or Bear causes a cave in on itself?

These are just factors to think about off the top of my head. It doesn’t have to be a Tiger pit. It could be a snare. It could be a cage. It could be a net gun. Etc, etc.

Here is a Grizzly bear here that was snared, then tranquilized and radio collared.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jul/20/priest-lake-area-male-grizzly-collared-for/

Good luck.

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

Good!  Back on topic.  I am thrilled that you are, seemingly, at least considering the notion of Catch and Release, norseman.  The pit needs to be deep enough so that the Bigfoot can't jump out.  :thumbsup:

width?  the wider the better, within reason, I guess
conceal with material similar to the surrounding area
we could tranquilize appropriately once captured and evaluated, no?
rocks? try a new spot
water? Bigfoot proof bilge pump
humans falling in? private property, no trespassing
night? lights
winter? heat and warm clothing
cave in? doubtful

I don't mean to trivialize those questions, they are good, valid concerns.  I just don't see a deal breaker there.  

Not really concerns, just fleshing out reality.

If we are talking about a 8 foot tall primate? The hole would have to be at least double the height. So 16 foot deep? And the hole has to be wide enough that it cannot parkor up the side by pushing against it. If the Bigfoot is squared? That’s 8 feet wide. So let’s say 10 foot wide? 10x16 foot pit? *** (Maybe even deeper) 12x20 foot pit? If a 8 foot tall Bigfoot raises its arms and jumps or uses a step on the wall? How high can it reach?

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2013/03/06/here-are-16-things-you-probably-dont-know-about-shaq-who-turns-41-today

A Tiger pit is usually a thin lattice of bamboo for the entrance. What about the lattice sections at Home Depot? And some fake duck hunter grass?

Tranquilzing it is fine. But how to get a person into the hole and then the Bigfoot back out of the hole? A crane? A tripod, block and a bumper winch? Would need easy access up to the pit. Unless our benefactor owns a helo…..

A bilge pump makes too much noise. I’m thinking like for people in the SE or the coast of the NW. If the pit was constructed on a slope, you could push pipe into the hill side and drain the pit. Just don’t want Bigfoot to float out of the pit or drown.

The lights would need to be able to shine into the pit. Pulling headlights up to a 16 ft pit will not be helpful. I would want bright lights to help blind it while someone is lining up the tranq gun. Not a job for a Walmart headlamp.

Winter makes me worry about access, and getting the animal out of the hole. It may be best to just shut down for the season. Your not going to use a snowmobile to do it.

4 feet is the rule for caging protection in construction. 16 feet? Your dead. It might be wise to put some cribbing in but do not wanna a Bigfoot ladder. 🤔 Cave ins are no joke, especially if the substrate is not stable. Would have cable going into the hole and a large animal coming out of the hole disturbing the sides and the lip.

I won’t lie it’s daunting. But we build skyscrapers it could be done.

Also not mentioned but you would need some sort of alarm. If something falls into the pit you would want notification. A trail camera that notifies you through cell service, or it needs to be manned with a blind close by and watched 24/7. 

• Upvote 2

The skookum cast came to mind while writing the last post. How to lure a Bigfoot to the pit. Fruit? What scares me is that the creature was theorized to lay down and crawl. Which is a good way to distribute its weight and not break the lattice entrance of the trap. Might need a better plan for that….🤷‍♂️

IMG_1163.jpeg

13 minutes ago, norseman said:

Not really concerns, just fleshing out reality.

10-4.  Reality does always seem to rear its ugly head.  Again, great 'fleshing out' and nothing that can't be accommodated, imo.  A suitable pit can be constructed, of that I have no doubt.  Getting a Bigfoot in there is obviously the hardest problem to solve.  

Asking Schwarzenegger to help is probably a long shot.  However, just looking into it, I found a way to not hurt the animal too much.  It's simple really: significant water at the bottom for a 'soft' landing.  That would also make it more difficult to jump out of.  Climbing out is another issue of course, probably need Kevlar sides or something so the Bigfoot can't dig its fingers into the walls.  I never said it would be easy..

• Like 1

Honestly the biggest concern is you are going to have other animals fall into the pit unless you can build and lure in a bigfoot in a couple of days max. You try and lure it with food every bear in the area will fall in . Build it near Near a game trail ?  Every elk deer will fall in . 

You need to actually have to know where it or they are and multiple hounds and people do a push and funnel them to a the trap.

Doesn't sound easy if they decide not to cooperate with the plan

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 1

I’d have to question the legality of a pit like that even on private property, I imagine most state game departments would have an issue with it if they found out about it.

I guess you could always try to get permitting for one, you can imagine the looks you’d get when you started asking about it. 😄

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Honestly the biggest concern is you are going to have other animals fall into the pit unless you can build and lure in a bigfoot in a couple of days max. You try and lure it with food every bear in the area will fall in . Build it near Near a game trail ?  Every elk deer will fall in . 

You need to actually have to know where it or they are and multiple hounds and people do a push and funnel them to a the trap.

Doesn't sound easy if they decide not to cooperate with the plan

But that’s the problem with any trap. Traps are typically an odds game. Set X amount of traps to capture Y amount of target species. But many other species will die in the same trap. An example down here would be conibear traps and bobcats and coyotes, and maybe even Fido. Bobcat pelts are the golden premium.

The extra problem with a pit trap is fishing all the animals out. That’s why I addressed a crane or some sort of retrieval system nearby.

1 hour ago, Chim Chim said:

I’d have to question the legality of a pit like that even on private property, I imagine most state game departments would have an issue with it if they found out about it.

I guess you could always try to get permitting for one, you can imagine the looks you’d get when you started asking about it. 😄

Hmmmmmm….. I have a story about that. Probably 35 years ago in this state (Washington). I was helping my uncle dig a water line. It went from the house out to a garden area maybe 150 feet away. The trench was roughly 3 feet deep. We got it dug and shut down for the night. All ready for pipe in the morning. When we came back in the morning a doe was stuck upside down in the ditch. We tried to pull her out put she was kicking and flailing about bad so we finally called the game department. They came in with some equipment and after about an hour they finally got her out of that ditch.

They never said anything about a ticket or anything about the ditch. Just a bad circumstance. So if you dig a hole on your own property and wildlife falls in? Is it illegal? I don’t think so. Now if we shot the doe? Then we may have been in hot water.

Neat story, but you dug a trench for another purpose that a deer inadvertently fell in.  If you dig a deep pit specifically for trapping something that could change the equation.  

Either way I’d bounce it off the sheriff/game warden before I’d do something like that.  And even then if a trespasser fell in and broke a leg you could very well be in legal jeopardy for having a ‘booby trap’ on the place.

No your honor, I wasn’t trying to deter trespassers, I was trying to catch a Bigfoot…

Edited by Chim Chim

8 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

Neat story, but you dug a trench for another purpose that a deer inadvertently fell in.  If you dig a deep pit specifically for trapping something that could change the equation.  

Either way I’d bounce it off the sheriff/game warden before I’d do something like that.  And even then if a trespasser fell in and broke a leg you could very well be in legal jeopardy for having a ‘booby trap’ on the place.

No your honor, I wasn’t trying to deter trespassers, I was trying to catch a Bigfoot…

Yah, there is no way I would ask a game warden what the legal ramifications were for digging a Bigfoot pit trap.

Of course. You can get sued for anything these days. But if anyone asks? I am digging a basement for a cabin. Or a septic tank for a cabin. If you need a building permit? Go get the building permit. If Bigfoot falls into my “septic tank” project?🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Hmmmmmm….. I have a story about that. Probably 35 years ago in this state (Washington). I was helping my uncle dig a water line. It went from the house out to a garden area maybe 150 feet away. The trench was roughly 3 feet deep. We got it dug and shut down for the night. All ready for pipe in the morning. When we came back in the morning a doe was stuck upside down in the ditch. We tried to pull her out put she was kicking and flailing about bad so we finally called the game department. They came in with some equipment and after about an hour they finally got her out of that ditch.

They never said anything about a ticket or anything about the ditch. Just a bad circumstance. So if you dig a hole on your own property and wildlife falls in? Is it illegal? I don’t think so. Now if we shot the doe? Then we may have been in hot water.

Its illegal to booby trap your own property. I was talking to the guy who manages our land when I discovered a fence had been clipped in order to get onto our lake. I proposed land mines. He informed me that any booby trapping is illegal. I think he is probably right. 

I think in most jurisdictions it is, and the argument in favor of that is if emergency services needs to come on your property for any reason they shouldn’t have to dodge them when they do.