How have the "woo-woo" reports affected your opinion?

PNWexplorer

Something else going on other than just an animal . Nothing else in my opinion can explain it. 

It's too weird to not have any proof with this many people trying. 

22 hours ago, MIB said:

No.   My opinion about what sasquatch is .. or MOST LIKELY is .. is based on personal experience.    I consider others' accounts less reliable as I cannot tell where they slip from observation to interpretation.

Neither.  I choose not to be backed into accepting your artificial dichotomy.   

I am aware of purely scientific explanations which will account for most of the "woo woo" stuff, it just lies outside of areas of focus of most folks' educations.    Most folks are arrogant .. Dunning Kruger effect .. if they don't know about it, they assume it isn't there to know about.   When they don't have a rational explanation they slide to magical thinking to fill in the gaps.   Speculation, imagined and repeated, over time becomes mistaken for observation and fact.  

I am not saying the people are lying, they are merely ignorant.   The observations are valid, the interpretations are not, and most people can't keep the difference between the two straight.

MIB

And....I can't put it any better than that. Thank you MIB.

Yes, I see the creatures as flesh and blood. i doubt they teleport or pilot UFOs or send orbs of light to do recon. 

You gotta say woo-woo cuz, 'woo' is something different.  lol  (I had to look it up myself :rofl:

I think you pegged it, norseman.  They have definitely been described as 'Forrest Ninjas'.  (Kinda like Kwai Chang Caine I guess. :D ) 

And, those kinds of abilities are no joke.  I've seen reports of coyotes walking city streets, unseen by people within a few feet, catfish that walk! and, a fungus that uses mind-control on insects (no joke), Ophiocordyceps unilateralis   https://www.npr.org/2023/01/30/1151868673/the-last-of-us-cordyceps-zombie-fungus-real  So, I don't doubt anything that Nature could do. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, MIB said:

No.   My opinion about what sasquatch is .. or MOST LIKELY is .. is based on personal experience.    I consider others' accounts less reliable as I cannot tell where they slip from observation to interpretation.

Neither.  I choose not to be backed into accepting your artificial dichotomy.   

I am aware of purely scientific explanations which will account for most of the "woo woo" stuff, it just lies outside of areas of focus of most folks' educations.    Most folks are arrogant .. Dunning Kruger effect .. if they don't know about it, they assume it isn't there to know about.   When they don't have a rational explanation they slide to magical thinking to fill in the gaps.   Speculation, imagined and repeated, over time becomes mistaken for observation and fact.  

I am not saying the people are lying, they are merely ignorant.   The observations are valid, the interpretations are not, and most people can't keep the difference between the two straight.

MIB

Dr. Johnson claims one species of bigfoot is paranormal and one species is dangerous. MIB have you posted your encounters in the SW Oregon sighting section?

I've had one up close encounter in 1980 near Prospect, Oregon.  Had one bang on the side of my camp trailer in the mountains above Lobster Creek that flows into the Rogue River. Years later my daughter had a bang on her camp trailer parked at our cabin near Agness, and I'm tiring out at the age of 76. Later two encounters seemed paranormal that caused me to stop looking for Sasquatch.

On 9/9/2023 at 4:04 AM, PNWexplorer said:

So, per the title of the thread, how have the "woo-woo" accounts and sightings affected your opinion of what sasquatch is?  Or have you decided to discount them like Barrackman and Meldrum?

No. Because there is literally zero proof of those claims as well.

17 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Something else going on other than just an animal . Nothing else in my opinion can explain it. 

It's too weird to not have any proof with this many people trying. 

It depends on what you mean by proof. 

1. hair samples (contentious topic, norse and hifler please don't chime in on this)

2. footprints galore

3. many videos and photos

4. eyewitness reports (if these are good enough to convict someone of murder - beyond a reasonable doubt, I have to give them some weight)

None of these things prevent or confirm it being in the "other than an animal" realm. While camping with a friend, we both witnessed a phenomenal, long lasting orb event. As I've researched, I have arrived at the same conclusion that MIB alludes to, although I wouldn't call those who don't know this "ignorant". Our understanding of physics is rudimentary. We like to think we know everything about our natural world, but there are many, many things happening outside of our perceptive capabilities. I suspect much of what is attributed to the "woo" is just a part of our physical reality that we just aren't capable of understanding with our current baseline knowledge of physics. 

Mods, please don't move this thread to the backpages of the forum. This stuff is front and center in our community today, and it should be fleshed out and debated vociferously. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

1. hair samples (contentious topic, norse and hifler please don't chime in on this)

2. footprints galore

4. eyewitness reports (if these are good enough to convict someone of murder - beyond a reasonable doubt, I have to give them some weight)

None of these things prevent or confirm it being in the "other than an animal" realm. While camping with a friend, we both witnessed a phenomenal, long lasting orb event. As I've researched, I have arrived at the same conclusion that MIB alludes to, although I wouldn't call those who don't know this "ignorant". Our understanding of physics is rudimentary. We like to think we know everything about our natural world, but there are many, many things happening outside of our perceptive capabilities. I suspect much of what is attributed to the "woo" is just a part of our physical reality that we just aren't capable of understanding with our current baseline knowledge of physics. 

Mods, please don't move this thread to the backpages of the forum. This stuff is front and center in our community today, and it should be fleshed out and debated vociferously. 

👍

5 hours ago, GuyInIndiana said:

No. Because there is literally zero proof of those claims as well.

Zero proof or zero evidence?   To date there is zero proof of BF, let alone the woo woo.   

5 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

The last similar topic was moved, I voiced my opinion privately but to no avail.   Let’s hope this stays, I agree that a well hashed out discussion  on the subject is valid.   

6 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

2. footprints galore

I don't mean evidence I mean proof . Eye witness reports are a dime a dozen . Have you ever watched the  Finding Bigfoot show and every place they visit they have a town meeting with eyewitnesses:D . It's a joke in my opinion . Videos ?  most are hoaxes or blurry and all can be hoaxes  really . Avoiding trail cams ..I don't buy it they can avoid them them like they do . You have entire  well funded research groups that put out 100's of trail cams in locations for 1 year stretches and can't capture one photo . I know someone will show me the thread where maybe they smell them or hear the noise they make .Well  power lines  make noise and researches say they use them for travel . As to the smell the  forests are filled with human smells that we leave behind from hunters and hikers , cross country skiers , fisherman , mountain bikers ..the list goes on  . Nothing can stay this hidden for so long with that many people searching for it . We are not taking about a  few wolverines that are a rare sight in the forest . We are talking about a breeding population of 500 to 700 pound animals . If they are reported in that many states then we are talking about 1000's of these large creatures  walking around . 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

..........We are talking about a breeding population of 500 to 700 pound animals........

There's no proof, or even evidence, that they're a "breeding" population. In fact, the very lack of proof or *adjective* evidence of their existence strongly indicates the opposite: they're a dying species, and nearly extinct. Of course, if they can interbreed with homo sapiens, that could delay the process of extinction.........

49 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

.........More people see bigfoot than see bears I guess  :biggrin:

http://www.photekimaging.com/Support/rptcol2.pdf

..........The relationship in the clustered data is the correlation between population density and frequency: the Group A correlation of +0.9661 is high relative to the Group B correlation of +0.1244.
A second relationship in the clustered data is the correlation between population and frequency. When Group A is separated from the dataset, its correlation to population rises from +0.1192 to +0.5664.
Group A is differentiated from Group B by its high correlation to population density. This is consistent with the model of receiving a report of a cataloged animal (Eq. 1).

Let’s assume that manufactured reports will be uniformly distributed across the population. If the rate of manufactured reports is constant, then the frequency of reports should correlate to population. To some degree, this is seen in Group B. There may be other unidentified influencing factors such as mean media exposure to Big- foot, which may influence the density of manufacturing.

The author speculates that Group A and Group B repre- sent different phenomenon. Group B may represent manufactured reports because of the correlation to population, whereas Group A may represent a different phenomenon because of its correlation to population density. The author hypothesizes that if Green’s data is the superposition of multiple phenomena that this is the expected result.........

29 minutes ago, Huntster said:

There's no proof, or even evidence, that they're a "breeding" population. In fact, the very lack of proof or *adjective* evidence of their existence strongly indicates the opposite: they're a dying species, and nearly extinct. Of course, if they can interbreed with homo sapiens, that could delay the process of extinction.........

I was referencing the eye witness reports that was posted by a member as evidence or   "proof "  My contention was how using eye witness reports shouldn't be used in the same sentence as evidence . This is why I posted that ridiculous video of eye witness reports being used as evidence . Hunstster there is no evidence at all other than a few track casts that Dr Meldrum says are authentic . 

41 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

........there is no evidence at all other than a few track casts that Dr Meldrum says are authentic . 

There are four fields of evidence:

1) Testimony

2) Trace evidence

3) Photographic evidence

4) Fossils

The testimony can be broken down further into pre-European and modern (post Columbus). It is the largest collection if evidence, but (as you accurately write and my link to Glickman illustrates) it's the weakest. But it cannot be discounted, especially if/when it can be combined in a particular report with trace and/or photographic evidence.

The trace evidence can be strong evidence, again, especially when combined with other evidence.

Ditto photographic. Remember, the Patterson/Gimlin event combined all three (testimony, trace evidence, and motion picture photography), and pretty much sealed the deal. The fact that Science refused to accept it as *adjective* evidence only strengthens the theory that they are actively discouraging discovery, which is a theory that gains strength with each additional consideration.

The fossil evidence is both too old and only found in Asia thus far, but unlike extraterrestrials, fossils prove that sasquatch type creatures existed in the distant past in Asia.

The problem with testimony today is that The Beast (the media) has found use for sasquatchery and has used it to the detriment of the phenomenon itself. Now everybody is seeing a sasquatch behind every tree. Every noise out there is a sasquatch. Every movement in the brush is a sasquatch. More than damaging sasquatchery, however, this is destroying Science just as surely as it's destroying society and culture. 

• Upvote 1