Dyatlov Pass incident latest….

norseman

On 12/2/2023 at 2:18 AM, norseman said:

Low oxygen? The mountain at its peak was 4000 feet. Should be plenty of oxygen.

There were nine of them jammed into a tent in sub zero temps, the condensation from them exhaling would have created a layer of frost on the inside of the tent effectively turning it into a confined space, no shortage of CO2 in there either.  I assume they would have had a canvas tent and everything zipped up since it was so cold.

24 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

There were nine of them jammed into a tent in sub zero temps, the condensation from them exhaling would have created a layer of frost on the inside of the tent effectively turning it into a confined space, no shortage of CO2 in there either.  I assume they would have had a canvas tent and everything zipped up since it was so cold.

It’s never happened at Elk camp…..

And they had a wood stove. So did we. I have slept in a canvas wall tent in freezing weather more days than I can count. Later we bought a Montana Canvas wall tent made out relite. Then later I bought another Montana Canvas tent made out of both canvas and relite. Relite saves weight but it’s easy to burn through. But when you pack in 50 miles with mules? Weight matters. Rig camping not so much.

But we started with a canvas wall tent and a sheepherder stove. And used it for years.

You’re not going to get C02 poisoning in a canvas wall tent. Unless maybe your burning propane. But even then they are pretty drafty. If you have filled the tent with smoke? Your gonna leave the tent.

IMG_0505.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what kind of tent they had but since they were backpacking I'd assume it wasn't a wall tent and was something smaller and more portable.  I didn't know they had a stove but if you saw it somewhere I won't dispute it.

One thing I've always thought was significant is they were a week or so in before it happened, and this was the first night they set up camp on a hillside in an exposed area, prior to that they were camping down in the forest.  It would definitely be colder on the hillside exposed to the wind, and any fire they built would be smaller since they'd have to carry the wood in from a distance rather than get it close to camp.  And if it was a killer BF why would it wait until they were in an exposed open area to attack, surely it would have preferred attacking in the forest where it would have concealment.

33 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

I'm not sure what kind of tent they had but since they were backpacking I'd assume it wasn't a wall tent and was something smaller and more portable.  I didn't know they had a stove but if you saw it somewhere I won't dispute it.

One thing I've always thought was significant is they were a week or so in before it happened, and this was the first night they set up camp on a hillside in an exposed area, prior to that they were camping down in the forest.  It would definitely be colder on the hillside exposed to the wind, and any fire they built would be smaller since they'd have to carry the wood in from a distance rather than get it close to camp.  And if it was a killer BF why would it wait until they were in an exposed open area to attack, surely it would have preferred attacking in the forest where it would have concealment.

Looks like the tent is roughly 4x16? Kinda long and narrow with a very short side wall. 

All I do know is that there is a considerable myth with the Mansi people in the Ural Mountains of the Menk. Like the Yeti or the Bigfoot. Why a Menk would wait to attack? I have no idea. If it was indeed a Menk.

But I do find the heavy trauma unexplained. It’s not consistent with an avalanche or small scavengers. And the eye slits they cut into the tent, then the giant slash for escape, leaving all their gear and the diary of the one person that says “the snowman lives”? 🤷‍♂️

I think it’s every bit as plausible as any other theory. And that’s with the caveat that I am hearing of this story 80 years ago and 10,000 miles away. 

IMG_1443.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

… surely it would have preferred attacking in the forest where it would have concealment.

That might be what they we’re thinking too and perhaps why they left the woods.  It’s also very interesting that the picture of what looks, at least to me, like it could be a Sasquatch was apparently the last picture on that particular camera. 🤔

I found it. Mid 90s we are close to Whimstick creek in the Frank Church wilderness. This is the newer Montana Canvas relite tent. A bear really did a number on it and I had to send it back to Belgrade to get it fixed. Relite is light but kinda fragile.

IMG_0332.jpeg

• Upvote 2

There is so much speculation, imagination, exaggeration, etc .. probably including outright misinformation regarding this case it is difficult to know what was / was not found at the scene, never mind what caused it.   Seems SOMETHING happened but I doubt we'll ever truly know what it was, we'll remain struggling with beliefs and probabilities, not irrefutable fact.

IMHO ..

MIB

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MIB said:

There is so much speculation, imagination, exaggeration, etc .. probably including outright misinformation regarding this case it is difficult to know what was / was not found at the scene, never mind what caused it.   Seems SOMETHING happened but I doubt we'll ever truly know what it was, we'll remain struggling with beliefs and probabilities, not irrefutable fact.

IMHO ..

MIB

I will agree with much of it other than the coroner report. That’s not speculation.

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

That might be what they we’re thinking too and perhaps why they left the woods

I've heard of grizzly/brown bears coming after people in the open but from what I understand that's fairly rare.  Given the remoteness of the area it's possible if they did cross paths with something they were the first human beings it ever encountered and had no fear of them whatsoever.

I had something similar happen on an admittedly much smaller scale about two weeks ago, I was hunting on a back ridge on some property I own and had a squirrel come out of it's den and descend a tree to within 10' of me and it proceeded to scold me while I stood there with a rifle in my hand.  So far as I know nobody had been on that ridge since the last time I was there 2-3 years ago so I figured I was the first person it ever saw, I left and ceded the ground to it.  I've had a few other instances like that over the years with small game and even a deer once but normally as soon as they figure out you're there they're gone.   

1 hour ago, norseman said:

I will agree with much of it other than the coroner report. That’s not speculation.

I probably didn't say that right.    We have a mix of fact, interpretation, and misinformation .. maybe even some intentional to make it even more dramatic or fit a particular story line someone wants to promote.   We don't have a clear way to separate most of the information reliably into one of the categories given time, distance, and .. governments.   That means that even that which we assume to be fact, like the coroner report, is viewed against such a mottled backdrop of "stuff" that we don't have a reliable context for understanding it or evaluating it.   It's truly a mess.

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, xspider1 said:

Speaking of which, apparently none of the nine people carried a gun?  That seems odd especially since they were probably aware of the warnings associated with the area.  Or, perhaps Russian civilians were not allowed to bear arms?

In America, we have the right to bear arms. In Russia, they have the right to the whole bear. 

3 hours ago, Chim Chim said:

I've heard of grizzly/brown bears coming after people in the open but from what I understand that's fairly rare.  Given the remoteness of the area it's possible if they did cross paths with something they were the first human beings it ever encountered and had no fear of them whatsoever.

I had something similar happen on an admittedly much smaller scale about two weeks ago, I was hunting on a back ridge on some property I own and had a squirrel come out of it's den and descend a tree to within 10' of me and it proceeded to scold me while I stood there with a rifle in my hand.  So far as I know nobody had been on that ridge since the last time I was there 2-3 years ago so I figured I was the first person it ever saw, I left and ceded the ground to it.  I've had a few other instances like that over the years with small game and even a deer once but normally as soon as they figure out you're there they're gone.   

The injuries I don’t think were consistent with a Bear attack. But anything is possible. It’s kinda like Bart Schleyer where something undressed him before it ate him. In the Dyatlov case? They were not chewed up. Just a lot of blunt trauma.

Its nice you have some hunting property!👍

I’ve had that piece for about 20 years, it’s worth 4-5x what I paid for it.  As they say land is the best investment, they don’t make more of it.