Operation Persistence

They are not going to bring a skeptic to their location.

Why would they risk having the skeptic actually figure out what is going on? They have a great thing going, they tell us about the apes, we listen, ask for more, and they give us more. Having someone that would possibly put an end to this is not high a bigfooter's list of things to do.

And now you are going to explain why bigfooters are pushing for it, right?

I should note that on one expedition TBRC brought a journalist from a local paper. She saw one.

If you aren't gonna get proof after that, I think I can tell you why you don't have proof.

Edited by DWA

I should note that on one expedition TBRC brought a journalist from a local paper. She saw one.

I must have missed it so would you please post a link to the article.

Thanks

And of course it's not on the site anymore. But I read both the account on the site and the newspaper article when they were up there..

Bipto will doubtless know what I'm talking about when he checks back in.

This is still up there, and has other media types along.

http://texasbigfoot.com/index.php/our-research/projects/75-operation-thicket-probe

Now who knows why they didn't run around babbling to all their friends and alerting the public (maybe because they didn't see one). But it does make one speculate on some possible reasons we don't have proof yet.

I must have missed it so would you please post a link to the article.

Thanks

At 30 minutes into this program you'll hear the account from the TBRC witness. The sighting occured while driving slowly along a forest service road in Sam Houston National forest in south Texas just as they topped a small hill. The next day,tracks were followed into the woods where they saw it leave the road in front of them. The subject was viewed from behind as it was walking on the road in the same direction of vehicle travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Upn_4ynPc

BFF Patron

It must confound them to watch a bunch of humans running around and around a track, always ending up where they started.

Why?

It's called BF research, humans do it all the time? They've more experience with that, I'm sure.

Bipto (and others), thanks for the interesting read. I recently came across this site and just finished reading this whole thread. This is a subject that has fascinated me my whole life. I have a few questions for Bipto or the others involved in the TBRC that have been to X.

It was asked very early on in the thread - how big is this tract of land? You said you didn't know, have you found out? I am curious simply to find out what sized piece of land is suitable to support a family/group of BF. I know you also said that Mionczynski had said there was ample food supplies for a large omnivore, but I am not an expert like he is. How much of the private land is productive? You mentioned once that they could move off over the next ridge and be gone - which I took as they seem to be/stay in one draw/canyon(?). You said your private land borders National Forest, have you researched in the NF at all, or outside of your private land in this immediate area? And if so is there any evidence of BF and if so can you link it to individuals you have witnessed on your private land? Obviously I'm sure the BF do not have any understanding of private/public land. Also, you mentioned 4 to 6 individuals I believe. Is this still a fair estimation of your study population? The number of individuals will impact how much land is needed, obviously.

I'm just trying to get an idea of the amount of land/resources are needed to support an estimated population. In a nutshell, how many acres/sq miles/whatever of land do they seem to make their home range for an estimated population? Thanks for any questions you may be able to answer.

Mayo2 stated that he does not even use his GoPro camera anymore. Bipto has said that the use of cameras is best used for funneling purposes. I understand your basic purpose is to obtain a type specimen, but it seems the more evidence you can collect while there (in the form of photos/video in addition to your field notes), the more information you will have for conservation use later.

Also - there were a few posts about scent elimination. I know you don't think their sense of smell is above average, but may as well try to stack the deck in your favor. Keeping your clothes in a scent-free plastic bag with dirt and debris from the area helps, as does taking chlorophyll pills. I take the pills for a week or so before bowhunting season and they really help in reducing the body oder usually produced from vigorous activity. It does turn your poop green though.

Also, on a side note - I had never heard of "ape" being synonymous with "gorilla." Gorillas are a type of ape, and yes I have heard people use ape for a gorilla, just as I have heard people use cat for a lion or tiger.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

They are not going to bring a skeptic to their location.

Why would they risk having the skeptic actually figure out what is going on?

I've addressed this multiple times so I assume you're being intentionally obtuse and argumentative, but let me walk you through it one more time...

First of all, the TBRC is full of skeptics. Every investigator in the group is, in fact, skeptical. It's a requirement of the position. Of course, we're not acceptable to True Skeptics because 1) we have experiences which have informed our opinions, and 2) we have open minds with regard to the subject of wood apes.

In any event, this mythical True Skeptic we bring in as a proxy to all the other True Skeptics would have one of two experiences. First possibility is nothing happens. The apes aren't trained ponies performing on command, after all, and not every trip in results in obvious wood ape behavior. So, if nothing happens, the True Skeptic can come out of the woods and report to the world that the TBRC is crazy. Second possibility is the True Skeptic indeed has some kind of experience that appears to be wood ape behavior. Perhaps rocks are thrown or tracks are found or even some kind of sighting occurs. Either the True Skeptic will dismiss all this out of hand as evidence only of TBRC chicanery or will actually accept wood apes as real only to find the other True Skeptics who weren't present have rejected their brother skeptic and assume the TBRC either hoaxed their fallen comrade or was hoaxed by those wiley hillbillies who don't mind getting shot at avery once in a while.

At the end of all this hilarity, nothing whatsoever will have been accomplished to further the goals of the TBRC.

They have a great thing going, they tell us about the apes, we listen, ask for more, and they give us more.

Yes, I'm constantly refreshing this page just salivating over the opportunity to take more of my copious free time and answer questions that have already been asked three times.

It was asked very early on in the thread - how big is this tract of land? You said you didn't know, have you found out? I am curious simply to find out what sized piece of land is suitable to support a family/group of BF.

The Ouachitas rage is about 12,000 square miles in size. I won't discuss any specifics regarding the land we operate on or its immediate surroundings.

How much of the private land is productive?

It's all forested and wild, so I guess that depends on your definition of productive. There's plenty of food for an omnivorous apex predator.

You said your private land borders National Forest, have you researched in the NF at all, or outside of your private land in this immediate area?

We've explored all around our primary research area over the more than ten years we've been active there.

And if so is there any evidence of BF and if so can you link it to individuals you have witnessed on your private land?

We've collected encounter reports from all over the region, including several from the immediate area.

Also, you mentioned 4 to 6 individuals I believe. Is this still a fair estimation of your study population? The number of individuals will impact how much land is needed, obviously.

I can't say for certain how many animals are present. We believe there is at least 4-6, possibly more.

In a nutshell, how many acres/sq miles/whatever of land do they seem to make their home range for an estimated population?

That's an excellent question we cannot answer at the moment.

I understand your basic purpose is to obtain a type specimen, but it seems the more evidence you can collect while there (in the form of photos/video in addition to your field notes), the more information you will have for conservation use later.

We haven't stopped trying to capture images, but it's no longer our primary objective.

Bipto.

I have obtained the services of a University DNA lab that will test your hair samples.

I will pay for this.

Would you be interested in having your hair samples tested in this manner?

I know you have sent them out and gotten lackluster results. This is a reputable lab, at a University, they have access to full databases to match the DNA to.

At 30 minutes into this program you'll hear the account from the TBRC witness. The sighting occured while driving slowly along a forest service road in Sam Houston National forest in south Texas just as they topped a small hill. The next day,tracks were followed into the woods where they saw it leave the road in front of them. The subject was viewed from behind as it was walking on the road in the same direction of vehicle travel.

Thanks for the link to the video.

I was specifically looking for the link to the article the journalist wrote after the encounter.

Thanks

Actually, it was 'BA' at one of my contacts in the Midwest.

But after discussing it with him, he pulled his offer.

So it is out.

Edited by Drew

<p>

Thanks for the link to the video.

I was specifically looking for the link to the article the journalist wrote after the encounter.

Thanks

I'm not sure the journalist ever wrote an article about her experience, that would have been interesting for sure. Facing her boss, and colleagues with that would likely have a negative impact on her employment.

Actually, it was 'BA' at one of my contacts in the Midwest.

But after discussing it with him, he pulled his offer.

So it is out.

As an associated issue... can you share why he pulled the pin? Was it when you dropped the bigfoot bomb on him?