Share A Picture Or Experience From The Outdoors

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Thanks, whew hope this works, the pictures are mine from the last couple of months camping/scouting in the Olympics...

hey nice pics, have you been into Ape Canyon cabin site since eruption? or know who has ? just wondering if anything left to see or new activity?

• 3 weeks later...
post-558-080308800 1309874107_thumb.jpgI think these are from local grizzly bear in the area. One question are they marking their territory or? I hope Hunster or someone with alot of bear knowledge will chime in here.

post-558-038947600 1309874162_thumb.jpg

post-558-038218800 1309874212_thumb.jpg

Edited by flightmedic

post-558-080308800 1309874107_thumb.jpgI think these are from local grizzly bear in the area. One question are they marking their territory or? I hope Hunster or someone with alot of bear knowledge will chime in here.

How high off the ground are they at the bottom? They resemble deer, elk or moose rubs.

For some of my outdoor hunting pics, click on the green button under my avatar, then click on "Hunting". That will take you to my hunting album, but be warned, it contains pics of dead animals, mounted animals hanging on the wall, and deer skulls. I'll post some scenery pics later.

Guest Ranger Dan

I'm into videography so my video is of a Squachy place in Oregon where there's no Bigfoot but there's another wild creature in it

. Just a note about how you can set up scenes to make something look wild, with some editing I can make just about any zoo animal look wild this video is an example of that and I could do wonders if I got a library of gorilla videos from the zoo Edited by Ranger Dan

How high does the snow get there?

if the snow is high, a porcupine or something else could be eating that bark

Guest COGrizzly

About 8 feet.

Those pics you showed are actually from elk eating the bark of the Aspen trees. Those vertical "marks" are from their teeth. Elk (and other animals) eat the bark of the Aspen tree to relieve pain and get a little food. The bark of the Aspen contains something that relieves pain, I believe.

Heck, I'm saying this as if it were FACT. It's my best guess.

Guest tracker

I don't know those are pretty high for elk rubbings and there's no claw marks. Do porkies suspend mid trunk to feed ? I've seen them on branches having a go at the trunk.

A porkie could be on top of snow pack, that is why I asked if there is snow cover and how high it is.

Guest Tsalagi

Those pics you showed are actually from elk eating the bark of the Aspen trees. Those vertical "marks" are from their teeth. Elk (and other animals) eat the bark of the Aspen tree to relieve pain and get a little food. The bark of the Aspen contains something that relieves pain, I believe.

Heck, I'm saying this as if it were FACT. It's my best guess.

I've seen elk stripping bark to eat and yes it is usually aspen. They will do that in times of drought when they are hungry when there is nothing else better to eat. I believe aspen also contains a medicine similar to aspirin.