Bigfoot, Fire, Weapons, Tools And Other Oddities

Bigfoot Speaks Language

Hunt For Wild Man.  Searchers Were Armed and Had Ambulance With Them.  Mount Vernon, N.Y., Sept 2. – A searching party consisting of Policemen Grant, Riley and Bellesheim, Gilbert Angevine, Fred Curtis, Harry Anderson, Thomas Hitchcock, H.D. Whittle and others made an exhaustive search for a wild man who is haunting the woods and graveyards near Bronxville. The men were mounted on bicycles and had with them the patrol wagon and ambulance, and each man was heavily armed.  They met more than a dozen persons who had seen the wild man, with the iron band about his waist and wrists and a chain clanking as he ran. Patrick Connelly, coachman for Frank R. Chambers at Crow’s Nest, ran into a crouching figure near the barn. A man, nearly naked, with matter hair and glaring eyes, sprang at him, and throwing up his bare arms, exclaimed: “Down, wretch! Aren’t you afraid of the king?†The coachman yelled and ran into the barn. He returned with other servants, armed with pitchforks, to capture the man, but he had disappeared in the dense underbrush. The wild man also seen by three little boys who were nearly frightened out of their wits.  Hornellsville Weekly Tribune, Friday September 3, 1897

Note: Correction, it was King, not Queen uttered. Nevertheless, if this was a fugitive of law why would they not report it as such?

Bigfoot Speaks Language

Southville, Maryland

In a wooded area a man encountered a hairy bipedal that apparently was able to talk to him. No other information is given.

Source: The Bigfoot Digest, Mark Opsasnick

Bigfoot Speaks Language

Cotton Hollow Wild Man. Four Danbury Men Frightened by a Giant in the Woods. (Danbury News) Four Danbury men discovered a gigantic wild man last week in Cotton Hollow, a section of country between High Rock Grove and Naugatuck. As they were trudging along a man of gigantic stature sprang up in front of them from behind among the bushes, and shouted out to Wilson, who was ahead: “How far is it to the next town?†“Three miles,†said Wilson with his hair standing on end and his eyes bulging from their sockets. Without saying anything more, the giant started off on a wild run and disappeared in the woods and the dark. All four of the men had seen him, however, before he was out of sight, and they were satisfied that he was at least twice as tall as anyone of their party, and correspondingly as large every other way. The next morning they commenced systematic investigations. They went back to the place of their discovery and measured the foot tracks of the giant. They were 18 ½ inches long and 5 ½ inches broad. The heel alone measures five inches. Then they made inquiries of the people who live in Cotton Hollow, and were informed that such  a man had been seen several  times. He was known to be at least nine feet tall and to weigh not less than 500 pounds.

Source: Naugatuck Daily News, Naugatuck, Conn., Wednesday, June 29, 1898

Edited by Gumshoeye

Bigfoot Kill Shot

Georgia

According to California researcher Rich Grumley, he spoke to a man who had been a boy somewhere  in Georgia in 1943 and had knowledge that an unknown animal had been killing sheep and calves by ripping of their limbs. Tracked down on a ridge by a number of men. Sixty shotgun slugs were required to put it down. One round finally penetrated an eye and entered the brain. The thing was then stuffed into the bed of a pickup truck and taken to town. Although its head was propped up against the cab, the feet dragged on the ground. There was little hair on the head, and none on the palms and soles of the feet, but the remainder of the creature was thick with reddish brown hair. All agreed it stank terribly. The being was beneath a rock cairn and reputedly remains there today. 

Source: Weird Georgia, J. Miles, p41

Great articles, Gumshoeye!

I have been catching up a little and saw that you asked about anything I may have regarding any creatures that are mega - tall - meaning over the 7-8 ft range most commonly described.  I have one of a 10 ftr (supposed gorilla) but in Africa. The article is from Inter Ocean - Chicago Feb. 16, 1896 - interesting comments about the differences between this "giant gorilla" and a normal gorilla - in physical size(normal gorilla average 5'2" so says he) and brain capacity (giant being 2 1/2 times larger)

I have another article from The Public Advertiser - London Aug. 8,1766 that addresses the accounts recorded of encounters by several ship captains & others while sailing around the world - mostly around South American coasts - (earliest account is from 1519) Giants from 7 1/2 ft to 12ft are described  but no mention of being covered with hair. Each account is basically a synopsis - no lengthy details but still interesting!     Would be glad to post either or both if anyone's interested.

I haven't found any similar American or Canadian accounts yet but will continue to search my records.

While re-reading and catching up.....I think I remember Georgerm commenting about a HWM supposedly consuming tobacco - I think Albert Ostman may have been one that stated that he had given his captor HWM his tin of snuff ...and the HWM swallowed the whole tin contents and consequently paid the price of a stomach ache.......going strictly by memory which isn't as dependable as it use to be......but I think it was Ostman.

Here's an small article that implies that a HWM might be making fire:

From: Los Angeles Herald  Aug.28, 1879   Article titled only:  A WILD MAN

[stockton Independent, Aug. 25th.] 

On Saturday we met a gentleman who lives on the west side of the San Joaquin, about seven miles west of Hill's Ferry, who made the following statement:

"While in the Coast Range, about ten days ago, hunting, he and his companion encamped on the side of a ravine near the summit of the range. In the morning they discovered smoke lower down the ravine, and, upon going out upon the side of the hill to ascertain the origin of it, they discovered an object which puzzled them to name, and as their curiosity became excited they crept carefully toward it, in order to satisfy themselves what kind of an animal they had discovered. By creeping upon the ground they were able to approach within one hundred yards, when, to their astonishment, they found that the object which they had approached with the intention of shooting was a man perfectly nude, but covered from head to foot with a most remarkable growth of hair. The hair upon his head and his beard were very long, reaching to his waist while his body, arms and limbs were protected by the same natural covering. Hoping to approach and capture this strange being, they attempted to creep nearer; but he took alarm and rapidly run away, jumping over the bushes in his path like a deer. The two gentlemen decided to remain and camp in the same locality the second night, and they were again rewarded by a sight of the strange being.

They were awakened in the night by a sound resembling that caused by striking flint upon steel and upon advancing in the direction of the sound they saw the same object, who appeared to be striking two flint rocks together. On their approach he again took alarm and ran away. We have heard reports of a wild man in that vicinity for several years past, but the gentleman who makes this statement is the only one that we have ever seen who vouches for the truth of the report. The gentleman is well known to us, and he asserted that he and his companion were willing to make oath to the truth of the statement."

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Who knows, maybe it was trying to kill a gnat with those rocks.....interesting though!

Thanks HWM! Bring it on! Show what you know. There are more people reading this post than reply and I personally enjoy reading new material.

The tobacco eating HWM (Hairy Wild Man) story was exactly how I recall reading it too!

This early article is the one concerning reports of Giants....no mention of hair covering but some sound like wild men of some type:

From:   The Public Advertiser of London -    England  Aug. 8, 1766                                       

The article being, essentially, a request for the publishing of some " Extracts from the First Volume of Dr. Harris's Voyages"...
including the 1519 account of one..."Y. Z." on the Voyage of Don Ferdinand Magellan, a Spanish Admiral....describing a gigantic
"Race of People in Patagonia..."

It begins:

Speaking of the Coast of Brazil, Lat.24, he says, "We here fell in with a Country inhabited by a wild Sort of People.
 They are of a prodigious Stature, fierce and barbarous. They made a horrible roaring Noise, more like Bulls than human
 Creatures; and yet with all that mighty Bulk....were so nimble and light of Foot, that none of the Spaniards or Portugese
 could overtake them."

In S. Lat. 49, he adds,...speaking of one of these Savages whose Apparel was that of some most surprising Beast,..
 " His Bulk and Stature were such as would easily allow him the Character of a Giant. The Head of one of their
(Spaniards) middle-sized Men reached but to his Waist, and he was proportionably big. His Body was formidably
 painted all over, especially his face. A Couple of Stags-horns were drawn, one on each cheek, and great red
Circles about his Eyes. His Colours were otherwise mostly yellow, only his Hair was white" Page 7.

=================================================================================================
From the: Voyage of Sir Thomas Cavendish, a most famous English Admiral, in 1586. Description of Patagonia, in S. Lat48.

"A wild and rude Sort of Creatures they were, and as it seemed of a gigantic Race, the measure of one of their
Feet being 18 inches. " He left this Country the Name of Patagons, by which he meant to signify that they were
 five Cubits or seven and half Feet high,
which, if we consider that the Portugese are not very tall themselves,
we need not wonder that they called them Giants.

==================================================================================================
From the: Voyage of Admiral Oliver Van Noort, a Dutchman in 1598

"They were informed by an Indian Boy, whom they took Prisoner and carried away with them, and taught him the Dutch
 Language, that the Country (Streights of Magellan) was inhabited by four tribes, three of which were of the ordinary
 Size, but that there was also a fourth Tribe, called Tirimenen, that dwelt in Coin, and that these were of a gigantic
 Stature, being ten or twelve Feet high." Page33

==================================================================================================
Voyage of Captain Cowley, an Englishman, in 1683

Speaking of the Isle of Guam, N. Lat. 13, on the Coast of East Indies, he says, " The Indian Inhabitants are very large,
active and vigorous, some of them being seven Feet and a Half high," Page 81.

Voyage of Captain Shelvocke, an Englishman, in 1719

"Speaking of the Island Chiloe, in the Southern Ocean, opposite the Coast of Chile, in S. Lat.43, after mentioning that
the Generality of the People are of the Ordinary Size" he adds..."Mons. Frezir gives us an Account, " that in the Inland
 Part there are a Race of Men of an extraordinary Size, called Cababuea, and that he had been credibly informed by
 the People, that (there) had been Eye-witnesses, that some of them were about 10 Feet tall."  Page 205.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

This is the article about the giant gorilla. Herr Becker's observation of the brain capacity difference is very interesting.

From: The Inter Ocean -    Chicago, Illinois  February 16, 1896

Giant of the Gorilla Family.

The largest gorilla ever killed by a white man, so far as is known to the naturalists, was one which Lieutenant Morgan's men succeeded in bringing down while making the famous "Cameroon River March", in Upper Guinea, Africa, during the summer of 1892.  The monster, according to the report to the Berlin anthropological society by Morgan himself, was only a fraction under ten feet in height and measured seventy inches across the chest!  Its shoulders were wider across than the combined width of  those of the three largest men in Lt. Morgan's command. It took the united strength of sixteen men to drag the giant to the nearest European settlement, where the creature's skin was removed by a skilled taxidermist and prepared for mounting.  Herr Becker, the German physiologist and anatomist who prepared the skull, says that its brain capacity was two and one-third greater than that of any other known cranium of a gorilla.  That Becker's report is reliable may be inferred when it is known that the average height of the gorilla is only 5 feet 2 inches.  another peculiarity about this specimen is this: He is the only animal of its kind ever discovered beyond the first degree of north latitude. 

St. Louis Republic

Edited by HairyWildMan

HWM – Thanks for posting, I want to read these very carefully. Good stuff!

I think I mentioned Magellan on another thread as being a believer of and recording things of this nature …. Good deal HWM!

I studied Latin American History in College.

Center of mass. In an upright, bipedal ape, that's a guaranteed heart/lungs shot. 

Agree with the Gumshoe, if it was a hunter firing the rifle, he was near-certainly using expanding bullets. The military uses fmj / non-expanding bullets. Still, a center of mass shot or two, with a .30-06 fmj / ball (think USA military rifles from both world wars and Korea) would conceivably stop a bigfoot in its tracks. Okay, within a few hundred yards. At that point, take a tissue sample if you've only a knife, otherwise collect a hand or head. Your fortune is made, and scientific inquiry is satisfied.

From your written word to God's ears, may it be so sooner rather than later....

Then we can all celebrate you being the person to bring BF to "Life" in the news and media with your deceased specimen.

How will you be able to carry a creature of that size out of the woods? Do you have back-up that can you can call? Of course, a head and hand, perhaps with the arm attached, would bolster your claim, but a dozen men carrying the body out will end all denials that they exist.

You will go down in history, and I can brag that I knew you when you were not famous, just a nice guy who wished the world knew the truth, and were brave enough to risk your life to prove they exist..

Hello SSQ, You know I think George was gracious enough to post a whole list of shootings and I know I read and probably have a few more, detailed accounts all succinctly told by people who have reportedly dispatched a Bigfoot creature. If the reports are correct and not spun tales, I would think they would be wealthy today.  

Edited by Gumshoeye

Not sure how it detracts from anything, but okay that's a good point to place to start. Its the seed that was planted in the mind's eye. Initiated merely by the act of placing this up here doesn't really matter if you believe it, agree with it or disagree, its there to provoke thought, which is the sole purpose and underlying goal here.

I'm really not sure what you are saying here, I have no idea what seeds in my minds eye etc have to do with my post.  But I am curious how you do not see that certain reported behavioral outliers do detract from the "consistency in reports" argument.  Is that really lost on you?

Hello Nod4Eight, When I posted this thread, something caught eye or you wouldn’t commented correct? Whether you agree or disagree, you remember what is was that I said that impelled you to reply. Nothing more, nothing less. I appreciate your comment though.

Nod4Eight's question still remains, Gumshoeye:

Do you agree that giving equal weight to these atypical (dare I say, inconsistent?) and less commonly occuring traits and behaviors does damage to the common proponent argument that the reports describe a real phenomenon due to their Gaussian distribution?

• Upvote 1

I believe these "atypical" reports were posted here more as a brainstorm for ideas and thoughts on the possibility of them being part of the Sasquatch puzzle. If they were presented as you say with the same weight as other reports would that still not fall in a Gaussian distribution? It is called a bell curve because of the shape being low on the ends and larger in the middle. What you seem to be describing would be a straight line spike up the graph which would not indicate a normal distribution for a living animal. The phenomenon of Sasquatch equates to a huge jigsaw puzzle, when we get it mostly solved I am sure some of the pieces will be seen to not fit and will be tossed out. Until we get near the end of the puzzle we will just have a table full of pieces to try to shuffle through and see if they fit.

Nod4Eight - My apologies for not hanging in there with you last evening, I wasn’t feeling too well. Anyways the point of my message to you was the power of suggestion is often referred to as power of subconscious because of the repetition and reinforcement. Not only do I believe these anomalies occur I believe there may be more of them we haven’t heard about yet. When I find more I will be sure to post them here first!

Thanks David NC, that was right on point.