The Ketchum Report

Channels:

Behavior/Psychology, Evolution and Darwin

COLUMBUS, Ohio – For students to accept the theory of evolution, an intuitive “gut feeling†may be just as important as understanding the facts, according to a new study.

In an analysis of the beliefs of biology teachers, researchers found that a quick intuitive notion of how right an idea feels was a powerful driver of whether or not students accepted evolution—often trumping factors such as knowledge level or religion.

“The whole idea behind acceptance of evolution has been the assumption that if people understood it – if they really knew it – they would see the logic and accept it,†said David Haury, co-author of the new study and associate professor of education at Ohio State University.

The researchers framed a study to determine whether intuitive reasoning could help explain why some people are more accepting of evolution than others. The study, published in the Journal of Research in Science Teaching, included 124 pre-service biology teachers at different stages in a standard teacher preparation program at two Korean universities.

First, the students answered a standard set of questions designed to measure their overall acceptance of evolution. These questions probed whether students generally believed in the main concepts and scientific findings that underpin the theory.

Try substituting Evolution for Bigfoot, and it does sound applicable. :) Other than that , it doesn't sound like the Ketchum study.

Guest parnassus

I always do Parn, you are one of my favorites (I want say what kind of favorite since it's against the rules). :)

plz give it to me by PM then, I so would hate to miss out. :wub:

I'll be content to read the paper and maybe attend a conference where it might be discussed, other than that, I will keep one eye open for discussion on the forum............

It can be riotous when big news breaks if you can log-on amidst the pandemonium. I figure Facebook and some of the bloggers will have high times and many rich comments too, if you can't.

Biped, We have been assured that the forum will handle the influx of visitors on that momentous day, and I am so ready to discuss the findings! Finally,for me,I won't have to defend my beliefs anymore. :D

BFF Patron

wub.gif Something tells me we will all have an adequate say in the matter.......shortage of words has never been a weakness on the forum.....

I would imagine that any Guest worth their salt will register to avoid being locked out.

This is something I doubt will occur to the registered members, but should the site crash since we're upgrading and moving to a larger server it will probably be fine. :)

Thanks Grayjay, Will this upgrade happen soon? Will the forum close while the work is being done? Does something like that take a while or is just a quick install?

I'm just curious with all of the upcoming events if we will all be able to access the forums, but everything I've heard has been positive about the forum being able to handle the traffic.

I'm so looking forward to discussing the DNA and the **films** with everyone.

What a day that will be!

Does a paper under embargo HAVE to be listed on that website? Or can they be without notifying them? I don't know the process.

Tim B.

BFF Patron

My understanding (without investigation) is that a site like that is usually like an ambulance chasing legal advertisement site. Whether it is comprehensive or not I guess you would have to prove something got missed and went unlisted.

Guest slimwitless

I'd be amazed if a paper reporting the existence of an undiscovered living hominid could be successfully embargoed. I guess it would depend on how many media outlets had access to the information.

On the other hand, a paper about modern human DNA and/or the weird samples people mail in as purported Bigfoot probably wouldn't hit the press even after release.

I don't really understand this report. Has there been a report? Can someone link to it please or to the results? If there is no report or results this thread seems to be nothing but speculation? Trying to understand this "report" that I can't find anywhere. Thanks!

Edited by can
To correct triple posting

I don't really understand this report. Has there been a report? Can someone link to it please or to the results? If there is no report or results this thread seems to be nothing but speculation? Trying to understand this "report" that I can't find anywhere. Thanks!

Yes, almost entirely speculation. Almost none of the posts are derived from first-person basis of knowledge about the report results. A report is not published at this time.

Guest parnassus

I'd be amazed if a paper reporting the existence of an undiscovered living hominid could be successfully embargoed. I guess it would depend on how many media outlets had access to the information.

On the other hand, a paper about modern human DNA and/or the weird samples people mail in as purported Bigfoot probably wouldn't hit the press even after release.

slim,

Interesting concept. I agree with you on the first part.

As to the second, I do think that "Finding Bigfoot" has created more of a market for stories than any time in recent memory. If the findings are as you suggest, we don't know what the reviewers/editor might allow Ketchum to say about the meaning. And, pardon my cynicism, but unless I miss my guess, Dave Paulides is gonna be working the media very hard, writing a press release that may bear little resemblance to the factual findings in the paper, and shoving his "Tribal Bigfoot" books at every reporter he can find. Not to mention the supposed "flood" of videos and/or other evidence that is supposedly waiting to be released. I think it would make Yahoo.

p.

Edited by parnassus

Guest slimwitless

Yes, almost entirely speculation.

To be fair, that's consistent with the majority of interesting threads on this forum.

I'd be amazed if a paper reporting the existence of an undiscovered living hominid could be successfully embargoed.

It makes sense to me that the involved scientists would honor the embargo if they wanted their work published over simply publicised. Why would they jeoprodize it by releasing actual data after all their hard work?

Guest slimwitless

It makes sense to me that the involved scientists would honor the embargo if they wanted their work published over simply publicised. Why would they jeoprodize it by releasing actual data after all their hard work?

I don't think they would. I'm referring to a press embargo; basically an embargoed release to the media so they have time to prepare their stories. I'm not sure they could keep such a thing secret (even for a week).