Jump to content

Knife Thread...It's about time.


Kiwakwe
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Now it's time to put it to good use!

Oh, it will be beat up and unrecognizable in a couple of weeks.  Lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NorthWind said:

My turn. 

 

 

20210729_183130.jpg

Wild Pig Hunter!

 

I had a Prather War Bowie, but gave it to a buddy who really wanted one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

That is a knife with a mission. It adds new meaning to the phrase, "A pig in a poke..."

Except it puts a poke in a pig!

 

ETA.  Sorry, boys.  That was pretty bad.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, NorthWind said:

My turn. 

 

 

20210729_183130.jpg

I haven't seen that one around. False edge on the spine? Looks purposeful, I like!

I was perusing knives today while drinking a cuppa coffee and smoking a pipe. Caffeine and nicotine hit at the same time and I bought stuff under the influence. I'll post em when they show up.

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I haven't seen that one around. False edge on the spine? Looks purposeful, I like!

I was perusing knives today while drinking a cuppa coffee and smoking a pipe. Caffeine and nicotine hit at the same time and I bought stuff under the influence. I'll post em when they show up.

What did you get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What did you get?

I saw a Boker fixed blade that we had at the shop I worked at in the 80s, upon seeing one for sale, I instantly recalled its comfortable grip and nice lines. Price/condition were right.

The plant alkaloids had more influence on the Puma White Hunter purchase. I didn't go all out for a Pumaster steel, found a NOS late model with 440C. We had those in the shop also, too rich for my blood back then. Beautiful knives, though surely not worth what people pay now days for the old ones...but I know, it's worth what people will pay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I haven't seen that one around. False edge on the spine? Looks purposeful, I like!

I was perusing knives today while drinking a cuppa coffee and smoking a pipe. Caffeine and nicotine hit at the same time and I bought stuff under the influence. I'll post em when they show up.

Yes, false edge. Sharp steel. Real leather. 'Murica!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

Caffeine and nicotine hit at the same time and I bought stuff under the influence.

 

That can get dangerous in a hurry!  "I bought what?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been in the market for a big, classic American Bowie.

 

While I am looking for the right vintage Western W49 Bowie, I picked up a Cold Steel Wild West Bowie to scratch the itch.

 

Buck 119 for scale.

 

92A331E8-0E49-4575-B228-F2CB9194C889.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have been in the market for a big, classic American Bowie.

 

While I am looking for the right vintage Western W49 Bowie, I picked up a Cold Steel Wild West Bowie to scratch the itch.

 

Buck 119 for scale.

 

92A331E8-0E49-4575-B228-F2CB9194C889.jpeg

What a beast! Does the sheath have wheels attached??

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

What a beast! Does the sheath have wheels attached??

It caught a lot of flack when it came out, because it is bigger and broader than the classic W49.  But, the tang is skeletonized…and the balance is actually superb.  It is very lively in the hand and recovers well.  It feels ‘alive’ in the hand.

 

These are mostly handmade in India by Windlass Steelcraft, so the quality control is all over the place.  It always has been.  You might get a masterpiece…or you might get a lemon.  I had the clerk bring out a couple to look at them, and got the second one I looked at.  The first one was fine, but the guard was the slightest bit crooked.  This one is great on fit and finish.  
 

I might sharpen the swedge so it can deliver a proper back cut.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that's a knife!  Congratulations.

 

The last several knives I've purchased have been online (ESEE) but this is a good reminder how important it is to handle a knife first before puchasing. Assess its balance, the details of its fit and finish, and more. Select the pick of the litter.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It caught a lot of flack when it came out, because it is bigger and broader than the classic W49.  But, the tang is skeletonized…and the balance is actually superb.  It is very lively in the hand and recovers well.  It feels ‘alive’ in the hand.

 

These are mostly handmade in India by Windlass Steelcraft, so the quality control is all over the place.  It always has been.  You might get a masterpiece…or you might get a lemon.  I had the clerk bring out a couple to look at them, and got the second one I looked at.  The first one was fine, but the guard was the slightest bit crooked.  This one is great on fit and finish.  
 

I might sharpen the swedge so it can deliver a proper back cut.  

Roger that. Handy for those places where firearms are prohibited out of season eh?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...