Catch and Release?

xspider1

1 minute ago, NorCalWitness said:

thank you for being reasonable. 

check out Forest Galante's interview on Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Start at 32:30 for the stuff relevant to this topic. Hair samples or one really good photo is all that is needed to prove its existence. This is coming from a person who has found 8 species that were thought to be gone. Norseman's goal is to prove the existence of the animal to science, so listen to an actual scientist about how it can be proven. If he proposed his tiger pit idea to a group of academics, he would be laughed at, and not from the nitrous gas. 

Oh really? (Actually it’s Xspider’s idea) Science uses pitfall taps all the time…… so I guess the joke is on you!🤣

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/2980-pitfall-traps-monitoring-ground-dwelling-insects#:~:text=Scientists often use pitfall traps,insects present in an area.&text=A pitfall trap is buried,they are counted and released.

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Oh sure, like spending thousands and thousands of dollars digging a 16ft deep hole 16x16 and filling it with laughing gas is constructive? How about scooping up a little water, or soil, or sampling some air, and having it tested for a new species of Homo for a few hundred dollars? Get a positive result and then turn science loose on finding the thing for further analysis. On THEIR dime. Now THAT'S what I would consider saying something constructive. Anyone agree?

Are you going to hijack this thread like you do with every other thread? 

Just now, norseman said:

bugs are not apex mamilian predators. the risk of injury to a potentially super rare species is real, but that probably makes your dingles tingle. 

"The only joke is we believing a real creature is out there and we have ZERO physical proof said creature is out there."

How about you get one tiny shred of any evidence first before proposing some high cost, absurd and unrealistic fantasy. Its a shame that this thread has 9 pages and other threads are hardly a page. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

Norseman's goal is to prove the existence of the animal to science, so listen to an actual scientist about how it can be proven. If he proposed his tiger pit idea to a group of academics, he would be laughed at, and not from the nitrous gas.

Oh, C'mon. That wasn't Norseman's proposal.

You're ridiculing another "no kill" proponent.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, norseman said:

Are you going to hijack this thread like you do with every other thread? 

I personally appreciate his contributions. Don't bring your personal beef into every thread he posts in. I will chalk it up to you having a bad day because I generally enjoy your posting, but there is no reason to keep up this hostility. We need to stop the infighting. 

Listen to this, starting at 32:30. Then tell me if you have any thoughts about what you hear. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

How about you get one tiny shred of any evidence first before proposing some high cost, absurd and unrealistic fantasy. Its a shame that this thread has 9 pages and other threads are hardly a page. 

Someone hasn't done their homework. I suggest reading at least the first couple pages of the thread.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Was it not his idea? If not, I apologize for my confusion. No bad intention here. I seem to remember a post about getting a backhoe out into the woods and filling the pit with nitrous gas. If I made that up in a fever dream, my bad. 

Just now, Incorrigible1 said:

Someone hasn't done their homework. I suggest reading at least the first couple pages of the thread.

I tried to re-read it but it gave me brain cancer. 

Just now, NorCalWitness said:

Was it not his idea? If not, I apologize for my confusion. No bad intention here. I seem to remember a post about getting a backhoe out into the woods and filling the pit with nitrous gas. If I made that up in a fever dream, my bad. 

Perhaps quit while you're behind.

3 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Norseman is not a no kill proponent, just to be clear. he wants to bathe in the blood of a Sasquatch. To each their own. Goodall didn't need to kill anything, did she?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

bugs are not apex mamilian predators. the risk of injury to a potentially super rare species is real, but that probably makes your dingles tingle. 

"The only joke is we believing a real creature is out there and we have ZERO physical proof said creature is out there."

How about you get one tiny shred of any evidence first before proposing some high cost, absurd and unrealistic fantasy. It’s o whaa shame that this thread has 9 pages and other threads are hardly a page. 

So what? You said science would laugh at the idea of a pitfall trap……your are WRONG. It’s just a matter of scale. It’s a solid scientific practice.

I am a hunter. But have no desire to have a primate head on my wall. No tingle. If I did? I would be shooting Baboons in Africa.🤷‍♂️

On 8/31/2023 at 9:39 PM, norseman said:

Not really concerns, just fleshing out reality.

If we are talking about a 8 foot tall primate? The hole would have to be at least double the height. So 16 foot deep? And the hole has to be wide enough that it cannot parkor up the side by pushing against it. If the Bigfoot is squared? That’s 8 feet wide. So let’s say 10 foot wide? 10x16 foot pit? *** (Maybe even deeper) 12x20 foot pit? If a 8 foot tall Bigfoot raises its arms and jumps or uses a step on the wall? How high can it reach?

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2013/03/06/here-are-16-things-you-probably-dont-know-about-shaq-who-turns-41-today

A Tiger pit is usually a thin lattice of bamboo for the entrance. What about the lattice sections at Home Depot? And some fake duck hunter grass?

Tranquilzing it is fine. But how to get a person into the hole and then the Bigfoot back out of the hole? A crane? A tripod, block and a bumper winch? Would need easy access up to the pit. Unless our benefactor owns a helo…..

A bilge pump makes too much noise. I’m thinking like for people in the SE or the coast of the NW. If the pit was constructed on a slope, you could push pipe into the hill side and drain the pit. Just don’t want Bigfoot to float out of the pit or drown.

The lights would need to be able to shine into the pit. Pulling headlights up to a 16 ft pit will not be helpful. I would want bright lights to help blind it while someone is lining up the tranq gun. Not a job for a Walmart headlamp.

Winter makes me worry about access, and getting the animal out of the hole. It may be best to just shut down for the season. Your not going to use a snowmobile to do it.

4 feet is the rule for caging protection in construction. 16 feet? Your dead. It might be wise to put some cribbing in but do not wanna a Bigfoot ladder. 🤔 Cave ins are no joke, especially if the substrate is not stable. Would have cable going into the hole and a large animal coming out of the hole disturbing the sides and the lip.

I won’t lie it’s daunting. But we build skyscrapers it could be done.

Also not mentioned but you would need some sort of alarm. If something falls into the pit you would want notification. A trail camera that notifies you through cell service, or it needs to be manned with a blind close by and watched 24/7. 

I must have imagined this. 

Just now, norseman said:

So what? You said science would laugh at the idea of a pitfall trap……your are WRONG. It’s just a matter of scale. It’s a solid scientific practice.

I am a hunter. But have no desire to have a primate head on my wall. No tingle. If I did? I would be shooting Baboons in Africa.🤷‍♂️

Cliff seems to think its a relict homonid. Did you listen to the podcast I linked yet? I think you'd enjoy it as it covers the topic of this thread in depth. 

Norseman is not a no kill proponent, just to be clear. he wants to bathe in the blood of a Sasquatch. To each their own. Goodall didn't need to kill anything, did she?

Cough::it's xspiders thread and pit idea. You're embarrassing yourself::Cough

• Thanks 1

Just now, Incorrigible1 said:

Cough::it's xspiders thread and pit idea. You're embarrassing yourself::Cough

check the post above your most recent snark. No reason to get personal. Although that is how forums go most of the time, I would hope our community would be nicer to one another as we share a common obsession. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a ridiculous statement! If Jane Goodall had habituated a troupe of Bigfeet? 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Why would one need to be shot? Go scoop up two dead ones that died of natural causes and there is your type specimens. And yes….we have Chimpanzee skeletons in the zoo. No bathing in blood needed.

The problem lies in the fact that Bigfoot has NOT been habituated. A dead Bigfoot has NOT been collected. A positive DNA sample has NOT been produced. 

Just now, NorCalWitness said:

check the post above your most recent snark. No reason to get personal. Although that is how forums go most of the time, I would hope our community would be nicer to one another as we share a common obsession. 

Question for you: What poster, in the thread, suggested a pitfall trap?

Hint: It wasn't Norse. You're confused. I'm not being snarky.

• Thanks 1