Catch and Release?

xspider1

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

There are probably thousands of people who would even volunteer for such an assignment.

People can not follow verbal or written instructions. 'Too many cooks......' I am surprised that the shooting squad has not re-introduced us to tranquillizer weapons and loads.  The tranquillizer dose is unknown and can be fatal. Gas an animal with nitrous oxide. A captured animal could use some laughing gas. But when the gas wears off, the situation is not funny.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

People can not follow verbal or written instructions. 'Too many cooks......' I am surprised that the shooting squad has not re-introduced us to tranquillizer weapons and loads.  The tranquillizer dose is unknown and can be fatal. Gas an animal with nitrous oxide. A captured animal could use some laughing gas. But when the gas wears off, the situation is not funny.

Who is volunteering to get down in the hole and administer the laughing gas? I will watch….l

I have no high road….. I have a big stick and lots of self preservation instincts.

14 hours ago, norseman said:

Who is volunteering to get down in the hole and administer the laughing gas? I will watch….l

N2O is more than 1.5 times heavier than air and would layer in the bottom the pit. Earthworms would be in trouble.  Buying N2O varies from state to state.  Washington State considers laughing gas legal for inhalation ( I think that the aerosol canned whipped cream lobby pushes that very hard ). WooHooo. Restrictions in Oregon are unknown. A small tank could run about $50. Refills are $3.50---$5 per pound. Density at one atmosphere and 70 degrees Fahrenheit is less than 0.2 lbs per cubic foot. Hypothetically posting: about $25 of N2O at 5 lbs of gas would give just under 43 cubic feet of happiness. The volume in the pit would fluctuate with temperature and absorption into terrain.

This has potential for a pay-per-view event to offset the costs.  Volunteers would have to monitor the N2O concentration and adjust as necessary based on personal sampling protocols.

Attending to a gassed animal would be an epic pay per view event. Cheerleaders not required.

38 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

N2O is more than 1.5 times heavier than air and would layer in the bottom the pit. Earthworms would be in trouble.  Buying N2O varies from state to state.  Washington State considers laughing gas legal for inhalation ( I think that the aerosol canned whipped cream lobby pushes that very hard ). WooHooo. Restrictions in Oregon are unknown. A small tank could run about $50. Refills are $3.50---$5 per pound. Density at one atmosphere and 70 degrees Fahrenheit is less than 0.2 lbs per cubic foot. Hypothetically posting: about $25 of N2O at 5 lbs of gas would give just under 43 cubic feet of happiness. The volume in the pit would fluctuate with temperature and absorption into terrain.

This has potential for a pay-per-view event to offset the costs.  Volunteers would have to monitor the N2O concentration and adjust as necessary based on personal sampling protocols.

Attending to a gassed animal would be an epic pay per view event. Cheerleaders not required.

Do they deliver with a Oxarc gas truck? An 8 ft tall creature in a 12x12 ft hole? That’s a lot of gas.

When I first started in the oilfield I was a dumb Washingtonian. Part of our PPE was a H2S gas sensor. It had a clip so I stuck it on the brim of my hard hat. One day while I was on site loading a Bull dozer some rough necks waved me over. Roughnecks being roughnecks they proceeded to berate me as an idiot as to why I was wearing my sensor on my hard hat. All of them were wearing them on their belt. By the time your sensor lets you know you are being gassed you will already be dead….. “OH OK” 🤒

Lesson learned. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, norseman said:

Do they deliver with a Oxarc gas truck? An 8 ft tall creature in a 12x12 ft hole? That’s a lot of gas.

Finding an off road gas truck is not easy.  Central Welding Supply has 3 facilities in Oregon and 21 in western Washington. For N2O tanks, the '75lb style' tanks hold 657 cubic feet at 70 degrees F and one ATM. Your hole is 1728 cubic feet. Quantity of tanks is 2.6 of the '75lb' N2O tanks to fill the hole for initial filling. Buying 3 tanks covers the hole plus leakage. 4 or more tanks are for fill and maintenance.  Delivery would be by 4WD vehicle with a real bottle rack on the bed.

I have been known to pass a lot of gas in the past. Liquid nitrogen is my favorite. I don't own a Dewar for liquid nitrogen yet, but I am looking.

9 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

with threads like this, no wonder people think we are a joke. 

You’re vehemently “no kill”. So instead of taking pot shots? The easy way out? Why don’t you add something constructive? 

The only joke is we believing a real creature is out there and we have ZERO physical proof said creature is out there.

Oh sure, like spending thousands and thousands of dollars digging a 16ft deep hole 16x16 and filling it with laughing gas is constructive? How about scooping up a little water, or soil, or sampling some air, and having it tested for a new species of Homo for a few hundred dollars? Get a positive result and then turn science loose on finding the thing for further analysis. On THEIR dime. Now THAT'S what I would consider saying something constructive. Anyone agree?

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

You’re vehemently “no kill”. So instead of taking pot shots? The easy way out? Why don’t you add something constructive? 

The only joke is we believing a real creature is out there and we have ZERO physical proof said creature is out there.

unserious threads do not deserve constructive feedback. this thread is a joke. 

1 minute ago, NorCalWitness said:

unserious threads do not deserve constructive feedback. this thread is a joke. 

I think your comment is a joke. You don’t want the animal shot, but you are not willing to discuss a live capture?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, norseman said:

I think your comment is a joke. You don’t want the animal shot, but you are not willing to discuss a live capture?

so your comment about shooting charlies in nam was serious? scary. 

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Oh sure, like spending thousands and thousands of dollars digging a 16ft deep hole 16x16 and filling it with laughing gas is constructive? How about scooping up a little water, or soil, or sampling some air, and having it tested for a new species of Homo for a few hundred dollars? Get a positive result and then turn science loose on finding the thing for further analysis. On THEIR dime. Now THAT'S what I would consider saying something constructive. Anyone agree?

thank you for being reasonable. 

check out Forest Galante's interview on Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Start at 32:30 for the stuff relevant to this topic. Hair samples or one really good photo is all that is needed to prove its existence. This is coming from a person who has found 8 species that were thought to be gone. Norseman's goal is to prove the existence of the animal to science, so listen to an actual scientist about how it can be proven. If he proposed his tiger pit idea to a group of academics, he would be laughed at, and not from the nitrous gas. 

13 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

so your comment about shooting charlies in nam was serious? scary. 

🤦🏻‍♂️

Using spotters to maneuver rotary aircraft onto a target was developed in the Vietnam war. Lots of lessons learned there. Lessons that could be applied to a Bigfoot capture here. Just like it’s been applied to fighting wildlands fires. Nothing is a joke in that statement.

Any other critiques from the peanut gallery?